İbanez rgr5221 black metal

• Thread starter Elrilas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Inquiring minds would like to know an example of a guitarist with doom in their soul.

You can't say Varg.

Please don't say Varg.

Personally, Mike Scheidt from Yob comes to the top of my mind. And the dudes from Ufomammut.

Varg can fuck off. He has slugs and trash in his soul.

You're right, but sometimes the equipment problem has to go away in order to reach that spirit. so your brain has to reach your soul. Your brain should not be busy with anything else.

What I mean to say is, sure you can play doom on this guitar, as you can on any other. I encourage you not to overthink your gear. Turn up, Tune down, and Doom out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flick

Reaction score
I have the rgr5221. It’s become my main guitar. Mostly play death metal. The BK Brute force pickups have a nice eq curve and plenty of output for the style of music you want to play. If you need more, I’d suggest getting a boost or overdrive pedal. Those pickups stay nice and clear through an overdrive which really makes those gnarly black metal chords sound punchy and defined. I’ve considered putting those pickups in other guitars I own.

Elrilas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the rgr5221. It’s become my main guitar. Mostly play death metal. The BK Brute force pickups have a nice eq curve and plenty of output for the style of music you want to play. If you need more, I’d suggest getting a boost or overdrive pedal. Those pickups stay nice and clear through an overdrive which really makes those gnarly black metal chords sound punchy and defined. I’ve considered putting those pickups in other guitars I own.
I have read all of you carefully. I will follow your advice. I bought the hx stomp and I'm going to take a boost or overdrive pedal with it.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
Pickups and the gear following them is one thing, the other thing is in the mix. Actually it's the proper knowledge of music production that makes the track sound powerful, especially the bass, eq and compressors. On the other hand if you don't feel comfortable with the raw guitar sound and you can afford changing it then by all means do so :) It might have minor impact on how the whole track sounds in the end, but anything that makes you enjoy playing more is good.
Right now I've got similar thing with my Duncan Solar pickups, I miss the punch on heavly muted strings which I've had with active fishman pickups on my other guitar, but to be frank it has nearly no impact on how complete tracks sound. Still I'm gonna replace them, just because I feel less motivated to play on guitar that feels like it's missing something.

Last edited:

Elrilas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pickups and the gear following them is one thing, the other thing is in the mix. Actually it's the proper knowledge of music production that makes the track sound powerful, especially the bass, eq and compressors. On the other hand if you don't feel comfortable with the raw guitar sound and you can afford changing it then by all means do so :) It might have minor impact on how the whole track sounds in the end, but anything that makes you enjoy playing more is good.
Right now I've got similar thing with my Duncan Solar pickups, I miss the punch on heavly muted strings which I've had with active fishman pickups on my other guitar, but to be frank it has nearly no impact on how complete tracks sound. Still I'm gonna replace them, just because I feel less motivated to play on guitar that feels like it's missing something.
I think I understand you. maybe if these were our first guitars we would like it much better. Maybe it's not right to compare it with the old guitar. maybe our search should continue until we find the right one. maybe there is no such thing as right. :) I really don't want to be confused anymore. I will try to get used to the guitar for a while. a thicker string is a lower tune. maybe everything will change.

DarthV

Reaction score
Changing pickups isn't going to have as much of an effect as changing IR/cab/speakers. As for output, that's just one part of gain staging and can be done with a boost or just more gain in the amp.

I bought a RGR5221 this summer and it's awesome. Then again, pretty much any Ibanez Prestige will be awesome :)

Elrilas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Changing pickups isn't going to have as much of an effect as changing IR/cab/speakers. As for output, that's just one part of gain staging and can be done with a boost or just more gain in the amp.

I bought a RGR5221 this summer and it's awesome. Then again, pretty much any Ibanez Prestige will be awesome :)
Thank you for your answer :)

')