0.80 string in a floyd rose?

• Thread starter Dcr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dcr

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I'm thinking about tuning my schecter jeff loomis FR to drop G# with this set of strings, but i'm kind of worried about the last string: I don't really know if a string so thick is gonna fit well in the floyd rose saddle.

Drop G#

len 26.5"

D# .010" PL == 7.08kg
A,# .013" PL == 6.71kg
F,# .017" PL == 7.23kg
C,# .026" NW == 8.03kg
G,,# .036" NW == 8.53kg
D,,# .052" NW == 9.61kg
G,,,# .080" NW == 10.23kg
total == 57.41kg

At the moment I tune the guitar to A# standard with the same set shown above but using a .070 for the seventh string, which works great for me. Nevertheless, it seems to me that .070 is the thickest string you can use in a floyd rose (OFR I mean). In fact, I've measured the width of the string channel of the saddle with a caliper and it's exactly .070...

So basically, do you guys have ever used a string with a gauge above .070 in an OFR? Does it fit well?

PD: For those who may ask, I'm not gonna use a thinner string :fawk:; I've already tried it and I don't really like the feeling and the sound. I prefer tight strings :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
.080 for Drop Ab seems a bit ridiculous to me. Fuck, the guys in Born Of Osiris use .059 for Drop G. I mean, I like my strings thick, but that's crazy. :lol:

As for the actual question, I have no idea...

Azathoth43

ל ו ו י י ת ן
Reaction score
All measurements taken from a German OFR.

The saddle hole is ~.3", the string block ~.156". That leaves ~.144" room in the saddle. The "channel" the string runs through coming out of the lock I measured at .085".

In theory a .08 should work. But I don't have one infront of me to test.

Good luck.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I use a .074 for G on the 27" side of my Pendulum, so .080 for G# on a 26.5" isn't the craziest thing I've ever heard. As far as whether or not your string will fit, I have no clue. :scratch: Are you also concerned about possible problems at the locking nut as well?

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
.080 for Drop Ab seems a bit ridiculous to me. Fuck, the guys in Born Of Osiris use .059 for Drop G. I mean, I like my strings thick, but that's crazy. :lol:

Really? Where did you find that info... I am not a fan of super tight strings but I have a .074 in my Apex 1 for Drop G and its not that tight (I find it sometimes floppy or not tight enough) in fact I use 10-52 + 74.

To the OP, yes, I remember that I put one on my Ltd 100 FM some time ago.

Edit: One friend of mine has a Loomis and yes he uses .080 for drop E :nuts:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's a bit thick. I can see what tension you like from the other strings but I don't think there's any reason to step it up any more after the D string.
I feel you might agree when you play it.

Dcr

Reaction score
All measurements taken from a German OFR.

The saddle hole is ~.3", the string block ~.156". That leaves ~.144" room in the saddle. The "channel" the string runs through coming out of the lock I measured at .085".

In theory a .08 should work. But I don't have one infront of me to test.

Good luck.

That's strange. As I've said I've measured .07 in the channel of my FR 1000 series. Of course mine is not technically an OFR but the dimensions should remain the same between the two models :scratch:

I would use that .059 to tune in B standard :lol:

I use a .074 for G on the 27" side of my Pendulum, so .080 for G# on a 26.5" isn't the craziest thing I've ever heard. As far as whether or not your string will fit, I have no clue. :scratch: Are you also concerned about possible problems at the locking nut as well?

Although I hadn't thought about it, I don't expect any problems with the locking nut.

Really? Where did you find that info... I am not a fan of super tight strings but I have a .074 in my Apex 1 for Drop G and its not that tight (I find it sometimes floppy or not tight enough) in fact I use 10-52 + 74.

To the OP, yes, I remember that I put one on my Ltd 100 FM some time ago.

Edit: One friend of mine has a Loomis and yes he uses .080 for drop E :nuts:

:yesway::yesway:

I've done it. It fits:yesway:

:yesway:

I used to run an 85 in my original edge.

Phone cables ftw!
:)

:yesway::lol:

Yeah I think it's a bit thick. I can see what tension you like from the other strings but I don't think there's any reason to step it up any more after the D string.
I feel you might agree when you play it.

The main reason why I use strings so thick is because I don't like the little shifts in tune when you hit hard the strings. I tend to play the guitar hard, and it annoys me when the pitch of the last strings slightly changes while playing.

Anyway, don't worry about the tension. The .080 in G# has a tension pretty similar to the .070 in A# that I have mounted at the moment, so I shouldn't have any problem adapting to the new string.

Thanks to you all for answering :yesway: I think I'll definitely give it a try. Anyway, if it doesn't work it won't be a big deal; I can always switch back to A# standard :)

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
I was using a .070 for drop G my bad... Now I am using .074 in the same tuning an its just fine and tight enough for a 25.5 scale. I think you should be good with .074

Joshua

6 Strings Only
Reaction score
Geez that's crazy. On my 27" I used a 64 for A, 80, is insane. I'd try maybe 68 or 70 for yours

')