'02 Gibson SG / $800US / No Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
Brief & Accurate Description of gear/guitar: Stock 2002 Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry finish with original hard shell case. For a nine year old guitar I'd give it an 8/10. A few light scratches in the clear coat here and there but overall very clean, frets have very little wear.

I did have this on ebay, but the buyer sent it back because of two issues. The first was that the bass side has slightly more relief than the treble side. While fretting the 1st and 15th frets, and checking the action at the 7th, the bass side has less than 1mm relief and the treble side has slightly more than zero relief. I say slightly more than zero because I can't see a gap, but plucking the string provides a clear note, so it can't be zero. I don't have feeler gauges, so I measured by ruler. This has never affected playability for me(no buzz, low action, etc.). In fact, I wasn't even aware of an issue until it was pointed out to me.

The second issue was the bridge saddles. The buyer claimed that "a few of the strings are sitting at the wrong height, where some of the saddles are worn." Unless he was strictly referring to the low E saddle, I really don't see this issue. When I bought the guitar used, the low E saddle had two string grooves filed it. I guess over time they wore down together, and that caused the string to slide back and forth. I've since filed a new, deeper slot in the saddle to make it playable, and it is, but I'll be including a new set of saddles with the purchase of this guitar should you want to take the guitar in and get it set up. The rest of the strings have a radius and don't buzz.

Modifications (if any):
Accessories (hardshell case etc): OHSC, new set of saddles
Location (City,State or City,Country): Saukville, WI, USA
Contact Info (No Phone #s): PM here, or email keysersoze_6 at hotmail dot com
References (eBay or other forum userid): ebay ID: fendson_stratlespaulster
Price (include currency and if firm/obo): $800 OBO

Here are the pictures I had up on the ebay auction:

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

I'll take some new pics later to show the saddles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
Pics of the saddles, as promised:

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

Other than the low E saddle looking fairly ugly, I'm not finding any problems with the rest of the saddles. But, like I said, the previous buyer took issue, so I'm including a new set of saddles. Let me know if you want pictures of anything else, or have any questions.

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
Free dime bag with purchase, in honor of 4/20! :note:

:lol:

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

Really, I just remembered I hadn't taken any pics of the saddles I mentioned in the OP.

(remember not to reply to this unless it's related to the sale; don't want people getting banned because of me:flame:)

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kinda new to the SG hunt, so forgive me if this is a silly question. Does this have the 50s rounded profile or that lovely tapered 60s type neck?
Or is it something entirely different? If so please describe.

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
I'm kinda new to the SG hunt, so forgive me if this is a silly question. Does this have the 50s rounded profile or that lovely tapered 60s type neck?
Or is it something entirely different? If so please describe.

I think it's closer to the larger '50s profile. This is the only Gibson I've played so I don't really know the differences. The neck is definitely thicker than the one on the Greco LP I used to own, fwiw.

Some Google results:
SG Standard neck profile?
SG neck profile -- 50s or 60s? - The Gear Page
SG neck profile? - Les Paul Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts