+1 to the American people

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Dems took the house, and at 12:00 AM AZ time right now, looks like the senate too. It could be a recount nightmare forming in Virginia, though, over the last remaining senate seat.

However the senate race shakes out, I just want to say this election partially re-affirms my faith in American democracy. It's a victory for checks and balances in my opinion. No one man or party should have as much control as the GOP has had recently.

Here in AZ, that slimy senator Kyl still won, but we got congressman Hayworth, one of the dumbest & most corrupt policiticans in the house out of office. Our democratic governor Janet Napolitano won in a landslide, and here in Tempe, we voted out two GOP state congressmen whose only goals were bans on gay marriage and congressional gridlock. Arizona also got a minimum wage increase to $6.75 and voted down a gay marriage ban. Plus, our local PETA proposition won too.

So +1 to the American people from me, I'm beginning to get some more hope for this place.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: I'm singing 'O Happy Day'! I think the Senate is still in dispute, but it looks like the GOP retains control. Where'd you see the dems winning the senate, Vin?

In Ohio, almost a universal democratic rout. Governor, Senate, Secretary of State, Attorney General, ballot initiatives sponsored by democrats (like a minimum wage increase).

Thank goodness.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
:agreed: I'm singing 'O Happy Day'! I think the Senate is still in dispute, but it looks like the GOP retains control. Where'd you see the dems winning the senate, Vin?

Talent (R) from Missouri just gave a speech conceding defeat. He's down 3% (30,000 votes) to McCaskill (D) with 90% reporting.

Montana is 51% / 47% Tester (D) over Burns (R) with 65% reporting. Tester has already basically given a victory speech on CNN. It's only 65% reporting, but he's ahead by over 4%, and he's probably going to win.

That makes it 50-49 Dems at this point for the 100 Senate seats, with Virginia the only one left.

In Virginia, Webb (D) has a 12,000 vote cushion over Allen (R) with 99% precincts reporting. But they're saying it could get contentious there over the next few weeks if Allen asks for a recount. It may not be until late Dec before it's determined who the winner is.

The Dems need 51 seats to take control of the senate from the Republicans. If Montana, Missouri, and Virginia stay the same as the current situations, the Democrats will have completely taken over the legislative branch.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Experts are saying 12,000 is just too much to change hands in a recount, last recount in Virginia like this only 37 votes changes, and in the end it just added to the total of the guy who was winning anyways. Barring corruption beyond comprehension, the dems have the Senate (if they win Montana).

Today is a great day if this all pans out.

DEVAL PATRICK! \m/

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Missouri's McCaskill won.

The Virginia race is getting closer, only 7,000 votes separating them now.

Montana's race is also getting closer. 75% precincts reporting and the Dem is only ahead by 2%.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
This is great news. I cant wait to listen to rush limbaugh tomorrow :D

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
If you check Pollster.com,
All the exit polls indicate that the democrats are about 1-3% ahead in the areas still contested. there's 1 state with about a 1% different, the other 3 states look to be 2.5-3% ahead.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad the Dems are getting back into office. Most of the FL elected officials are Democrats, so I'm happy about that.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
I'm glad the Dems are getting back into office. Most of the FL elected officials are Democrats, so I'm happy about that.

Except our Governor..:noplease:

Clydefrog

Reaction score
I cannot fathom why people would be happy that the democrats are gaining power.

It's like going from one shoe filled with shit (republicans) to another shoe equally filled with shit (democrats).

The democrats are looking out for you just as much as the republicans are: not at all.

The system needs serious reform, not just another shift of hands. Both parties have proven time and time again over the years that they are incapable of properly managing the country.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Clydefrog, I can definitely see your point. I would love to have a system where there's 8 or 9 political parties. The fact that we don't have a labor party in this country is rediculous in my opinion.

Having said that, the current batch of Republicans is arguably one of the most corrupt groups of politicians this country has ever had. Pandering to extremists in their own party (teaching the bible in science class, you've got to be kidding me!), and overspending like mad. Tax and spend liberalism is a bad idea in my opinion, but the recent tax-cut and spend GOP is just moronic.

So, it's time for change. The republicans had their chance, now it's time for the democrats to have theirs. Is it perfect? No. But I feel we live in a better country today than we did yesterday, because no one party has control over all three branches of government. It's a win for checks & balances. I have a feeling this election will bring both parties much closer to center.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: Checks and balances. No one loves the democrats, but we remember what it was like with Clinton at the helm. No matter how you look at it, it was just simply fucking better. These republicans have generally been so corrupt and un-representative. This is a check on BushCo's imperial, corporatist reach, pure and simple. Not a grand solution, not our saviors, not a joyous new era. Just a fucking slap in the GOP face of ENOUGH.

If these bastard democrats get too cocksure, then we'll throw them out. By then, the GOP will probably have rediscovered thier soul, kicked Rove and his slime to the curb, put Bush and Cheney's policies in the trash, and will (hopefully) look back at this period with a shudder.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Clydefrog said:
I cannot fathom why people would be happy that the democrats are gaining power.

It's like going from one shoe filled with shit (republicans) to another shoe equally filled with shit (democrats).

The democrats are looking out for you just as much as the republicans are: not at all.

The system needs serious reform, not just another shift of hands. Both parties have proven time and time again over the years that they are incapable of properly managing the country.
Lesser of two evils in my opinion. The sooner you guys in the US remove the shitstain of the current crop of republicans the better, as for all of us outside the US it would be a massive relief.

As for reform, i do not know enough about american politics to coment, but have been reading about it a bit here and there. But any reform is good.

The same is almost true over here with effectively being a two party system, but at least one of them is/was a labour orientated party.

The Dark Wolf said:
:agreed: Checks and balances. No one loves the democrats, but we remember what it was like with Clinton at the helm. No matter how you look at it, it was just simply fucking better. These republicans have generally been so corrupt and un-representative. This is a check on BushCo's imperial, corporatist reach, pure and simple. Not a grand solution, not our saviors, not a joyous new era. Just a fucking slap in the GOP face of ENOUGH.

If these bastard democrats get too cocksure, then we'll throw them out. By then, the GOP will probably have rediscovered thier soul, kicked Rove and his slime to the curb, put Bush and Cheney's policies in the trash, and will (hopefully) look back at this period with a shudder.
If anything, having a party lose massively at the next election may give them a kick up their arses. Internal reform.

Oh, and clinton was always good I think in the eyes of the rest of the world.

desertdweller said:
Clydefrog, I can definitely see your point. I would love to have a system where there's 8 or 9 political parties. The fact that we don't have a labor party in this country is rediculous in my opinion.
Very true, systems with a good represenatation of multiple viewpoints i think are better as it does promote compromise and the adoption of more than just what 51% of the population voted for that you get in two party systems most of the time...

desertdweller said:
Having said that, the current batch of Republicans is arguably one of the most corrupt groups of politicians this country has ever had. Pandering to extremists in their own party (teaching the bible in science class, you've got to be kidding me!), and overspending like mad. Tax and spend liberalism is a bad idea in my opinion, but the recent tax-cut and spend GOP is just moronic.
Don't even mention the Kyoto protocol and the rest of their utterly disastrous foreign policy.

Also, by mixing religion with politics, what's the difference between that and the taliban? Both ruling factions based on an interpretation of a book written 2000 years ago. They may as well base their foreign policy on the wizard of oz for all the difference it makes. The two should be seperate. No religious goverment will ever truly represent the people. Oh, and look at christianity's blackout of science and progress during the middle ages, all in the name of religion. But then again, i suppose cars move because god wills it...

Teaching religion in science classes is a dangerous thing to do, as science is based on disproving theories, while religion is the opposit where instead of being supported by empirical evidence, it is just accepted as is.

desertdweller said:
So, it's time for change. The republicans had their chance, now it's time for the democrats to have theirs. Is it perfect? No. But I feel we live in a better country today than we did yesterday, because no one party has control over all three branches of government. It's a win for checks & balances. I have a feeling this election will bring both parties much closer to center.
Hopefully. Hopefully now a lot of the wrongdoing and sheer corruptness will be investigated and suitably punished. I really do hope so, as the past 6 years has just been like watching a goverment try to put back progress and piss all over everyone.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
:woohoo:

Taft is OUT!

Sherrod Brown is IN!!!!!

there is hope for Ohio!

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Experts are saying 12,000 is just too much to change hands in a recount, last recount in Virginia like this only 37 votes changes, and in the end it just added to the total of the guy who was winning anyways. Barring corruption beyond comprehension, the dems have the Senate (if they win Montana).

Today is a great day if this all pans out.

DEVAL PATRICK! \m/

:yesway: I voted for Patrick. I think the guy will do a great job.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
Except our Governor..:noplease:

True, but honestly, Crist(?) isn't that bad of a republican. He's more of a middle grounder imo. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles some of the gun laws coming up early in his term, as well as some of the major issues with our education system.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
True, but honestly, Crist(?) isn't that bad of a republican. He's more of a middle grounder imo. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles some of the gun laws coming up early in his term, as well as some of the major issues with our education system.

I expect more of Jeb Bush's policies from Crist, to tell the truth.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
We'll see, but I think he's a bit more liberal than Bush. Maybe not enough to make him a great governor, but enough so that he doesn't suck either. Jeb's been a friggin' nightmare since he first took office.

')