10 New Free cab IR's!

Erik Ekholm

Composer | Guitarist
Reaction score
This is a collection of 10 massive sounding cab IR's! I offer them freely to all metal heads out there! :hbang:I captured the impulses in various studios I worked in.

Erik Ekholm | Metal Cabs

ABOUT:

10 IR's captured using a Sm57 on a variety of 4x12 and 2x12 cabinets.
These impulses are especially tailored for heavy rhythm guitars and high gain distortionbut they also sound great with clean sounds. It is recommended you use an impulse loader such as LeCab2 or a hardware unit such as the Torpedo CAB.

Enjoy, they are free and if you make anything awesome with these, let me know!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
I need to go through what I have and find some IR's for some demo tracks this weekend.

will give these an audition for sure thanks

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Yeah but I avoid using copyrighted brand names but *cough* MESA 2x12 Roadster *cough*, DV 4x12, *cough* Randall etc etc *cough cough*

This may sound like a really strange request, but if it's not too much trouble, do you think you could make an impulse of your middiest cabinet available using a condenser mic instead of the SM57? I really want to try something out. I've got this idea in my head recently that the SM57 might be kind of unsuitable for downtuned 8-string stuff, and I want to see if I get a better result out of the box with that sort of configuration. :agreed:

Erik Ekholm

Composer | Guitarist
Reaction score
This may sound like a really strange request, but if it's not too much trouble, do you think you could make an impulse of your middiest cabinet available using a condenser mic instead of the SM57? I really want to try something out. I've got this idea in my head recently that the SM57 might be kind of unsuitable for downtuned 8-string stuff, and I want to see if I get a better result out of the box with that sort of configuration. :agreed:

Hm, that would be my Orange PPC112 and I could use a Röde NT1-A, not sure how it would sound though.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Hm, that would be my Orange PPC112 and I could use a Röde NT1-A, not sure how it would sound though.

Sound like an interesting idea! And it being a single element cab won't be a problem since we're talking about a mic'ed up situation. Orange cabs seem to be in a rise of popularity lately too. :)

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I'd like to see an info list, as well, saying whats what. Maybe you could go all tricky like Line 6 do and give everything very recognizable "nicknames" to avoid the copyrighted names issue.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Ok, here you are, I captured 3 different mic positions: Orange middy cab

Some interesting results noticeable right away. While it didn't sound very good in the mix I am currently using, it certainly gave off a sound which cut through differently compared to the other impulses you uploaded. It might help the people who try to produce an album with that "live" kind of sound. I recently read a thread in which someone was trying to achieve a live sound with downtuned 8-strings, and just couldn't get the necessary clarity. Might be an idea to look into using different mics just as much as choosing cabinet.

But in the end, I'm just left more confused about the entire recording process. You have to keep guitar, pickups, strings, cables, pedals, amps, cabs and now also mics in mind when recording guitars for real. No wonder the completely digital route got so popular! :lol:

Erik Ekholm

Composer | Guitarist
Reaction score
Some interesting results noticeable right away. While it didn't sound very good in the mix I am currently using, it certainly gave off a sound which cut through differently compared to the other impulses you uploaded. It might help the people who try to produce an album with that "live" kind of sound. I recently read a thread in which someone was trying to achieve a live sound with downtuned 8-strings, and just couldn't get the necessary clarity. Might be an idea to look into using different mics just as much as choosing cabinet.

But in the end, I'm just left more confused about the entire recording process. You have to keep guitar, pickups, strings, cables, pedals, amps, cabs and now also mics in mind when recording guitars for real. No wonder the completely digital route got so popular! :lol:

Oh belive me, I've spent as many, or more, hours in the music store trying cabs, amps, guitars, and pedals to try and find a good combination of them.

So far, in general terms, for a good live sound try to get as much room as possible in the mic'ed signal, add a far mic and a stereo room mic perhaps.

You'll possibly be battlin' with phase errors and such, but try something like Shredspread to get rid of that!

Plugins - PLUGIN ALLIANCE - ENGLISH

')