10 strings!!

• Thread starter paddypat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Señor Voorhees;3870706 said:
Gotta say, that was pretty awful. I mean, I'd kill to be able to sweep like that since what I like to do requires significantly less dexterity than that, but it just seems like he was doing the same shit over and over again while the first guy played actual music. Second guy really does just seem like he's showing off, and on his second time up it's sort of ".... dude, can you do something different?"

I know this threads getting pretty old but I really second this.

Both guys are amazing but he seems very good at standard arpeggios, taps and Kerry King style shred.

Also run 2 was the same as run 1.

I'm curious who won, I would have voted for the other guy who played first.

Convictional

Starfish, Octopus
Reaction score
I think this guy is so obsessed with the fact that he can play fast that all he cares about is using it to try and impress people, which is sad because it means he'll never be able to write a really good solo without trying to throw poor-fitting sweeping in there.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
Pseudo Sweeps... You can hear 2 to 3 notes max in the sweep and the rest is mess. The notes that are intelligible aren't even in order per say. You may hear the top note and bottom note and the rest is noise. No offense to the guy but you need to play the sweep clean and at a speed where the arpeggio can actually be heard.

I cant remember which guitar hero said this in an instructional video but he said something like: "if you cant execute the technique flawlessly, then don't include it in your performance until you can"

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
whoa, non-fanned 10 = not for the faint of heart [or ear!]

Kinda my way of thinking, too, honestly anything over an 8 would benefit from fanned frets...in fact that's why I nope'd on the Ibanez 9 string, as my brain just kept saying "crazy-tight high A or a flubby low C#?".

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Keston Barker's sweeps, to my ears, sound like what Frank Gambale warns against in his sweep instructional video when he said, paraphrasing, "You have to practice slowly making sure every note sounds right as you sweep, and then you can increase the tempo incrementally. Do not sound like those players who sweep and the only thing you hear is the first and last notes of the arpeggio".

Convictional

Starfish, Octopus
Reaction score
Kinda my way of thinking, too, honestly anything over an 8 would benefit from fanned frets...in fact that's why I nope'd on the Ibanez 9 string, as my brain just kept saying "crazy-tight high A or a flubby low C#?".

I can't even imagine using a 9 string for anything but 8 finger tapping. I just keep thinking "horizontal chapman stick" :scratch:

')