$100 cab vs Mesa Rectifier 4x12.

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I liked the Mesa a little more. :shrug:

But in saying that they're both good, just different. Its been common knowledge for a while that the B-52 cabs are hidden gems and one of the best budget cabs.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Preferred the Mesa by a lot. The B52 had a bit more flub to it and a shrillness that I didn't like at all. :shrug:

My Aspirations

Reaction score
I never thought I'd prefer the b-52 cab but I did in this video. Maybe it would be different in person. But to me it just sounded better and had more "presence".

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Recorded with a crappy camera mic, it's impossible to judge based off of that. Other things to consider is that settings that sound good on one cab will not always translate to another cab. Recto 4x12s tend to have a huge bump in the low and mid range, while the high end trails off smoothly. You can hear that pretty well in the comparison. I'm guessing the B52 naturally has a V shape tone curve on it.

I remember trying to copy Petrucci's settings when I had a MKIV with my Recto 2x12 and was wondering why it didn't sound like his tone. I ended up setting up everything completely different. When I bought a Recto 4x12, his settings were a damn near perfect Petrucci tone and what I dialed in (for my 2x12) sounded nothing like his through it.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, a well built cab is important for a long lasting piece of gear. But ultimately, the speakers make more of a difference in the sound than 2 similarly dimensioned cabs.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
The AT cabs are the ones to get. The LS I had offered no projection and was just... there. And I've had both with same amps. If that kind of porting was so good it would be the industry standard.

vick1000

Reaction score
For that type of rock guitar rone, I suppose it would do fine. Pair it with a 6505 and an 8 string, then get back to us.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I actually like the B52 better in this video.

But, like others have said, different settings don't sound equal on different cabs, camera mic's are NOT the best way to judge, and also what Vick said.

All that said, though. I'd like to hear for myself in person what the 52 sounds like with my setup. Seen those cabs for super cheap.

tedtan

Reaction score
The Mesa cab would sit in a mix much better than the scooped, flubby, fizzy B52 cab based on the audio in that clip. Also - which cab could survive a nuclear blast and still keep kicking out the tone? The Mesa, hands down.

Wyvern Claw

Reaction score
I could tell which one was which right off the bat. I definitely preferred the Mesa, it was a lot more articulate, less harsh, less flubby and had more depth. Although given how these blind comparisons usually go, I was very much expecting to be saying "Well shit, I actually think the cheap cab is better". But in this case, at least given the limited perspective we have due to what others have mentioned like being from a camera mic and the compression of Youtube, the more expensive one seems to cost more for a reason.

That being said, that harshness and flub in the B52 wasn't unbearable, it was just the comparison that made it stand out I guess. It sounded good. Just not great, whereas i thought the Mesa did. That's just me though, some people think otherwise.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
They both sounded like they had a blanket over them to me :shrug:

i-see-what-you-did-there_o_514831.gif

Also, something tells me that in a real recorded comparison, the Mesa would smoke it even more.

Bearitone

Reaction score
So. Im probably going to receive some hate for this so please don't kill me.
I found one of the b52 lg-412v 4x12 cabinets (like shown in the video) on craigslist for $100. I figured "its only $100 so screw it".

I bought it and boy is it beat to hell, but I tried it out at home against my Port City OS Vertical 2x12 cabinet and to me it kills it. So much more defined to my ears. I can't believe I spent the amount I did on the Port City after hearing it against the B52 :noplease:

I have still yet to try a Mesa cab or an Orange cab though. Just thought I'd share this. These cabs really are hidden gems. That or Port City was just REALLY not the cab for me.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
One of the guitarists from a band I was in back in 2006 had a b 52 cab. I liked the the sound of it a lot and it was a pretty rugged piece of gear too. It went overseas to war and back, no seriously some dude had somehow gotten permission to bring it with him, he sold it when he got back because he could no longer play due to injuries he sustained.

ace_operations

Reaction score
Well s#!t, I'm having a Rectifier 4x12 cab being delivered today. :scream: Guess I'm gonna have to find that B52 cab on CL and try it out for myself.

')