100 Tracks, Real Drums, Real Amps, new mixing approach!

• Thread starter KingAenarion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
So I'm coming to the end of an album cycle.

This is the biggest thing I've ever worked on, and like the masochist I am, it's my own band, which means I'm not getting paid. This track is the closing track from that album. It has:

80 Mono Tracks
22 Stereo Tracks

That doesn't include the MIDI instruments and things that have been rendered down (like the 8 synths combined to make the lead synth)

This thing is monstrous. I had to come up with a completely new approach to mixing it. There was just no way I could top down mix this, there's just too much going on and it would have been mush. Just when working on the production stages, I had to mute about half the tracks and leave most of the effects off just so we could hear that the correct notes and whatnot were being printed.

So basically the approach I had to take was:

- The sounds had to be perfect. They needed to not just be mix ready, but good enough to hold up in a simpler mix by themselves. This was a long cycle, started tracking guitars in January last year, so we were able to sculpt a lot of things as went.

- Keep everything at each stage, just in case I had to go back and change the approach or tonal palette, which was especially relevant with all the keyboard sounds. I think I changed piano sounds 3 times until I decided on a blend I liked (It usually ended up being an 80/20 split of the East West Steinway and Boesendorfer).

- Build the mix from the foundation, as opposed to my normal approach, which would have been a top-down whole mix approach (or in some cases the CLA approach of vocals first). So literally... kick drum, snare drum, rest of the drums, bass guitar, rhythm guitars, leads, cleans, keyboards, vocals, sound design, effects - in that order, painstakingly carving out as I went leaving room for what came next.

So the biggest issues have been needing to do a lot of Mid/Side EQ, and getting the bass to be SUPER even. I ended up using a bastardized version of Ermz' technique from 'The Systematic Mixing Guide' for the bass, and in particular for this track, lots of M/s between the guitars and vocals to stop them clashing, and a whole lot of micro panning to add a bit of separation (all those LCR only people can suck a giant fat one and go back to mixing easy stuff like Jazz)

ANYWAYS! The track:

mp3

Full res .wav

Prior warning: The track is 13 minutes long. If you're going to listen to the full resolution version, it's like 200mb

Obviously this is a first pass, and there's still a whole crap-tonne of automation to bring out lines. The low end is still a bit buggered, and I need to do some stuff with the kicks and whatnot to get them to shine clearly.

Feel free to make comments or provide insights you may be hearing that I haven't heard.

Also, if people are interested I can do write ups of the different stages of the recording process, including production choices, gear choices from amps to microphones and stuff about the studio we tracked in.

TL;DR - massive 13 minute epic is hard but fun to mix. Will do writeups on everything including all the amps and the studio and whatnot if people are interested.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jerm

Reaction score
both files gave me an error when trying to play them

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
This is incredibly weird, but enjoyable at the same time. I feel like there was a huge story told, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I love the riff around the 6 min mark, and those vocal effects around the 6:20 mark are pretty sick. That synth/piano layer was ridiculously awesome.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I like where this is going. Lots of layers, stuff is pretty clear, etc. If I had any criticism it would be that something seems off about the lead/clean vocal. It just doesn't sit well to my ears - something about the high end is... maybe brittle sounding? Could be the cheap headphones I'm using right now though.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
This is incredibly weird, but enjoyable at the same time. I feel like there was a huge story told, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I love the riff around the 6 min mark, and those vocal effects around the 6:20 mark are pretty sick. That synth/piano layer was ridiculously awesome.

TL;DR version - based on a psychotic break that led to a whole lot of awful things happening afterwards. Song starts before it happens, then going through the actual break, then those closest abandoning the protagonist, then the pain and anger, then the healing process starts, and it all finishes with the realization of how awful those treated the protagonist at their most vulnerable.

I'm assuming you're talking about the funk riff right in the middle :) Also my favourite, and definitely the most non sequitur moment of the song.

6:20 is pretty much Soundtoys Decapitator. Hands down best distortion plugin for that kind of thing (with Fabfilter Saturn being a very close second)

Keyboard player actually wrong this song, which is why I think all those keys layers sound so excellent... it's because they were written by someone who knew that they were doing for the instrument :)

Thanks for the kind words!

I like where this is going. Lots of layers, stuff is pretty clear, etc. If I had any criticism it would be that something seems off about the lead/clean vocal. It just doesn't sit well to my ears - something about the high end is... maybe brittle sounding? Could be the cheap headphones I'm using right now though.

You're not crazy, I haven't spent enough time on getting the vocals to have the 'oomph' I want yet. There's a lot of 7k-8k information in the vocals.

It's a Manley Reference Cardiod microphone through a Manley Vox Box - basically tube through tube, which you normally wouldn't do... but it just sounded right on my voice in the studio, so that's what we did.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Sounds fantastic! Excellent work both musically and production wise. I'm guessing you are a Haken fan? Reminds me of their epic Visions :D

I may have to get in touch with you when my hugely layered EP needs mixing haha.

It's really interesting to hear your approach and the comments about sounds being perfect. I wouldn't even know what to aim for. Like the piano sound for example, all good samples just sound great to me! It does sound fantastic :)

Just finished the song. Truly epic composition

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Sounds fantastic! Excellent work both musically and production wise. I'm guessing you are a Haken fan? Reminds me of their epic Visions :D

I may have to get in touch with you when my hugely layered EP needs mixing haha.

It's really interesting to hear your approach and the comments about sounds being perfect. I wouldn't even know what to aim for. Like the piano sound for example, all good samples just sound great to me! It does sound fantastic :)

Just finished the song. Truly epic composition

Actually surprisingly don't listen to a lot of Haken.

I didn't do most of the writing on this, our Keyboardist did most of the music (I just did the vocal melodies and re-arranged things to give it some flow).

Our Keyboardist Dan is a real musicians musician, and is one incredibly talented dude. He has some SUPER eclectic tastes, and as with the best music stuff, his influences don't actually always come from the style he's working in. Lots of Chon, Oceansize, The Contortionist, Everything Everything, Exotic Animal Petting Zoo. Lots of that really tight polyrhythmic stuff.

Let me know what you start tracking and whatnot, I can give you some insight into what needs to happen and how to pick sounds most definitely :)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Will definitely be listening to this, your band writes interesting stuff and I feel like I almost always take away something from your mixing work.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Quite a few structural changes to what I was doing with the low end, and where the vocals sit. They don't sit on top so much anymore but more in the mix (at least I think so)

Wav file

mp3 File

Last edited:
')