12 string tuning and gauge question.

• Thread starter Ensanguine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ensanguine

Reaction score
A little off topic but I have a question about 12 string gauges. I tune a whole step down to D on my 12 string. I would like to possibly tune the treble courses an octave higher rather than in unison which is typical. Has anyone ever done this? I know much lighter gauge strings would be in order and tension/neck problems could result. I have an electric neckthrough if that makes a difference.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
You can do it if you tune lower: ADGCEA and use a string from Octave 4 Plus for the top A4.

Or tune even lower: GCFBbDG and use a conventional .008p for the top G4.

Spence

Reaction score
Im sure ive heard that octave 4 plus made a 12 string set which made it possible for all the strings to be in octaves in C standard

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Im sure ive heard that octave 4 plus made a 12 string set which made it possible for all the strings to be in octaves in C standard

Being as not even Octave 4 Plus lists a C5 string anywhere on their website, necessary for what you describe, I'm sure that you heard wrong.

However, should you find a source for that high C5 string, be sure to make a new topic here on SS.org, as I won't be the only one interested.

----

I've considered changing one of my B strings to the octave, but the bridge is completely unfriendly for this kind of thing (TOM, with a nasty angle designed to break O4+ strings). For the time being, I've decided to leave it alone.

ixlramp

Reaction score
octave4plus.com

On the homepage: "C5 all octave tuning for the 12-string electric guitar". I expect this is really 'pushing the envelope" and not for public sale. But then, they do sell B4 strings through special order which is close.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Ha! I'm burried in projects right now, but this is an interesting bit of ad copy. Maybe when I get more time, I'll drop Garry an email... but perhaps the OP is more motivated, as it was his/her thought to do something like this.

+1 rep to those two who brought the C5 to my attention!

Ensanguine

Reaction score
Tried an ernie ball 8 on the B string (A for my down 1 step tuning) and it broke at Ab. Probably have to tune down to C like mentioned though i'm not sure how practical it is to get that high E string all the way up there.

astm

Reaction score
Don't want to sound like a douche, but OP can get these strings and use a cappo on the second fret

ixlramp

Reaction score
The highest string you'll find is an octave up B at Octave 4 Plus, so you can tune no higher than
BEADF#B. The B4 is a very special and delicate string that needs great care to set up. I recommend shfting your tuning down a fourth to ADGCEA.

')