1527 or hellraiser

• Thread starter shredlord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shredlord

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm looking for my first 7 string, have about £600 give or take and want 24frets, a fixed bridge, a fast neck:shred: and pickups which are good for metal(nevermore style:hbang: ) I've narrowed it down to either buying a schecter C-7 hellraiser and paying a hefty import charge to get it into the uk, or buying an RG 1527 and fitting it with emgs and a tremol-no.
so what do ya think???
Thanks in advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
hellraiser - its basically what loomis used until he got his sig schecter.

QuarkSoup

Reaction score
I've played the Hellraiser and I plan on buying me one soon. It's a great guitar especially if you're going for that Nevermore sound. I can't say much about the 1527 because I don't know that much about it.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've played the Hellraiser and it's pretty badass.

That being said, I can't get away from the Ibanez necks. I'd say get the 1527. I know I'll get flamed for it and I don't care. :flex:

Reaction score
Ive said i a thousand times before and Ill say it again... If you get the hellraiser you will thank us... Its an amazing guitar, feels so good in my hands. :)

crayzee

Treehugger
Reaction score
Let's seed some awakening here: get the Hellraiser, get used to the neck, maybe (just MAYBE) replace the bridge PU with an 81-7 and you'll reach tonal Nirvana. No more sound of silence inside your four walls....:). No shit, the Hellraiser rules, a very well-working (and nice looking) piece of equipment.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
I dont like the hellraiser neck at all -- waay too thick. sounds totally badass though...
bear in mind its a 26.5" scale...
no more 14-21 four note per string legato stretches
(no more vai or rusty cooley for you)

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
I dont like the hellraiser neck at all -- waay too thick. sounds totally badass though...
bear in mind its a 26.5" scale...

Sure for those of you who have short fingers or poor reach;)
11-24 stretches FTW!
I have the Hellraiser and a RG7420 w/7620 neck, and I can shred and play vai and cooley on both :)
Buy both for the best of both worlds.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
In terms of what they offer, the RG1527 and the Hellraiser are exact opposites.

Hellraiser:
--fixed bridge
--extended (26.5") scale
--EMGs
--Massive neck

RG1527
--floating trem
--regular scale
--passives
--extremely thin neck

You can't get two 7-strings that are more different :lol: So I guess what I'm saying is that you really have decide what aspects of the guitar mean the most to you, because of the radical differences between the two.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you want a fast neck - Ibanez 1527.
The hellraiser is like a freaking baseball bat.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
In terms of what they offer, the RG1527 and the Hellraiser are exact opposites.

Hellraiser:
--fixed bridge
--extended (26.5") scale
--EMGs
--Massive neck

RG1527
--floating trem
--regular scale
--passives
--extremely thin neck

You can't get two 7-strings that are more different :lol: So I guess what I'm saying is that you really have decide what aspects of the guitar mean the most to you, because of the radical differences between the two.

+1

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah as said before, if you want a fast neck the schecter probably isn't going to be your best bet. However, I've found that generally speaking guitars with thicker necks have greater sustain and better tone, all IMHO of course. Also another difference is that the Hellraiser is a neckthru design whereas the 1527 has a bolt-on neck.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you want a fast neck - Ibanez 1527.
The hellraiser is like a freaking baseball bat.

It's bigger, but hardly unplayable. I prefer it to the 1527 neck, and I have small hands - I had no problem playing fast on it, either. ;)

Reaction score
I dont understand why people are saying a fatter neck is not as fast? There is as far as I know, NO difference how fast you can play ona thin or a thick neck. If that was the case everyone would play wizard 7 necks and its not. I love the neck of my hellraiser to deatrh and I wouldnt be able to play faster ona wizard neck.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer necks with some "meat" to them.
I thought the hellraiser 7 neck was plenty fast.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

You wuss. No problems here with the longer scale on my C7 Blackjack.

My only issue with the Hellraiser is that I'm not 100% sold on the EMG's - they kill for lead, but I couldn't get a rhythm tone I liked out of them. Keep in mind I use like half the gain most of you guys use, so their very present, focused sound didn't give me the nice growl that a Blaze or JB will out of a moderately driven amp.

Really, though, you couldn't pick two different guitars. If you don't want a trem and want EMG's, a hellraiser is probably your best bet, though.

shredlord

Reaction score
thanks for the replies!:hbang:
At the moment i have a PRS Santana SE with a seymour duncan invader in the bridge, i understand that those necks are supposed to be quite thick, so how does it compare to the hellraiser??

Shaman

Reaction score
I had a RG1527 for over a year, but I sold it so I could get myself a Hellraiser ;)

The RG1527 is a great guitar. Quality all the way and it is a very comfortable guitar, but I just didn't get along with the floating trem and I prefer EMG's so the Hellraiser was like it was made for me.

I have not had any regrets. The Hellraiser is an awesome instrument. I have not had any problems with mine, and it only seems to get better day by day.

Yes, the neck is thicker than the neck on the 1527, but so what? It is a very comfortable neck and it plays like butter. And yes, it is a fast neck! Ask Jeff Loomis ;) I personally play a lot of neo-classical, so a "fast" neck is a must for me too. In my opinion, it has a very comfortable, fast neck which is very easy to navigate.

Even the upper fret acces is great on the Hellraiser. Very smooth :shred:

So, they are both great guitars, and you really can't go wrong with either one of them, but it seems like the Hellraiser is what you are looking for.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I played both and I must say the 1527 plays nicer. Don't get me wrong though, after 15 minutes of playing Drew's HR, I started to like the feel of the neck. The only thing I didn't like about it is the knob configuration. The 1527 however, is really nice. :yesway:

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
::shrugs:: i do have small fingers (if yorue comparing them to vai's lool)

just my hands cramp up on them schecter necks- not immediately... but a good 15 minutes into it if im soloing the whole time...

i was playing Nile on the hellraiser and it sounded badass... as far as leads went, they sounded good but were painful

if nothing else the Loomis Sig should have a thinner neck, a floyd and the EMG neckthrough longscale stuff from the Hellraiser... wait for it

')