1527 or hellraiser

• Thread starter shredlord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Im more comfortable on Ibanez 7 necks although I am seriously eyeballing the Loomis sig. Oddly enough Im not turned off by thick necks, (I much prefer '58-'59 Les Paul necks over 60's), but on a 7 the shape of Ibanez just feels better to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

QuarkSoup

Reaction score
Yea, the Schecter neck is pretty thick but I have no trouble playing fast. Then again, I have really long fingers.

seven_stringer

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone seen a Hellraiser with a broken neck all of the way through?

I am curious about how much wood is under the truss rod.

Also, anyone know how thick the neck is at the first fret from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck and at the twelfth fret?

Thanks,
Jeff

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I'm an Ibanez lover, I love really thin necks... I recently played a Hellraiser, and IMO it was a better shredder then the 6 string JP EBMM I had tried 30 seconds before...

Hellraiser or 1527, can't go wrong with either...

btw I don't have really big hands, though I can do some pretty big stretches considering my hand size...

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
A fast neck is one that you feel comfortable with. :)

I have no trouble playing on thicker necks, but the thin and flat neck on my 1527 is just the most comfortable neck for me. I've been seriously considering the Loomis sig but the EMG's are a huge turn-off for me.

Prometheus

Oh no, no you don't!
Reaction score
I'm a big Ibanez whore, love the necks to DEATH. Tried a few Schecter 7strings, just couldn't get into it. I've got big hands, but I suppose I'm just too used to the slinky goodness of the Ibby :shred: But, then again, it was the Omen 7, so I'd imagine the Hellraiser is alot better. Still, no escaping the fact that the neck is a chunky, chunky beast.
The big drawback of the 1527, far as I'm concerned, is the floating trem. They're alot of fun to use when the mood strikes you, but otherwise are a total pain in the ass - which any trem user will attest to, I'm sure.

If the 1527 had a fixed bridge, I'd be ALL OVER IT:hbang:

So, in summary - I don't know, dude :scratch:

I like what a previous poster said - wait for the Loomis sig to come out. If I've got a decent job by then, I might very well go for it :hbang:

Nux777

Reaction score
I'd say get the Hellraiser if u want to do the Nevermore thing.

I've owned a RG 7620 for about 2 years now and got the Hellraiser january this year.

Yes, the Ibanez neck is easier to play, but the C7 is by no means a slow neck, if anything, it did take me some time to get used to the different scale length.(for anything I cant play on the HR I blame on lack of chops more than on neck size).

But for playing Nevermore, the c7 HR is easier to tune to Nevermore's tuning, plus you've got the EMG 707's, a mahogany body and neck, 18:1 ratio Grover tuners, tone pros bridge. The neck heel "looks" like neck thru but isnt, but it feels very similar and has good sustain.

With a C7 HR and a good amp, you get a big part of the nevermore guitar tone quite easily. With the 1527 you'd have to spend more money to get the guitar routed for the pickups and the emg's themselves. I have no doubt the 1527 loaded with them would be awesome, but the c7 hr seems like the shorter less expensive path to get there ( also a closer match in tone because of the wood/pickup combination).

I love Ibanez guitars, but I was looking for a fixed bridge 7 with emg's and Ibanez doesnt have a Emg loaded 7 string with the same features right out of the box. ( at that price $$)

I guess it depends on your budget and what you want.
Both are great guitars with excelent build quality and playability. I like them both.

They do have different sounds.. but I'm not gonna get into that , I've already made this too long... :lol:

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
fixed bridge
fast nec
24 frets
i would suggest a
rg 7621 or 7421
but htey are discontinued and since you use euros im guessing ur from euope ( i kno obvious lol)
it may be harder for you to find

(7321 are kind of low end though but if you have the $$ to mod it may be another choice)

i would personally suggest the 1527 just block the bridge though of you want more of a fixed bridge feel

the shceter has a baseball bat sized neck
and the neck is painted so it may slow you down

Reaction score
see, i;d own the hellraiser if it wasnt for the neck haha!
and i wouldnt wanna shave it down either, but i have the 1527 and couldnt hope for anything better under £1000

Reaction score
I don't like extreme thin necks like Wizards actually,and i hated RGs for a long time! But the Neck of the 1527 is a dream!It feels just right!
I think a tremol-no is a good device for those with the "occacional" trem use.But with a Fixed bridge ,you never would have that possibility!
I prefer Bolt-on to Set-Neck.4 metal screws are allways more depandable than glue in IMHO.And if you ever have a problem with the Neck , you can change it with a Bolt-on design.I am a die-hard Neckt-thru user (better i was).But my Neck-thru peavey has a warped neck now , and i can't do anything.So Bolt-on is the best design for me!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I had an RG7620, which is basically the same guitar. And I loved so much more the Hellraiser over the RG, the neck felt just awesome and the fretwork is incredible for a Korean guitar.

The Jeff Loomis Sig is on my things-tu-buy list too :hbang:

')