17 string tapguitar by Beartrax guitars

• Thread starter ixlramp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
PM me a link if you have some, I'd love to hear what you play. I imagine it's pretty tough to play on something of that magnitude. I bet it sounds fantastic!

I have an older video, if you look it up on youtube you can find it, but alot has changed since then it no longer has MIDI and now a 3-band EQ(really brings out the low end out so much more) a new G#0/G0 string, and of course an actual high A string. But like I said that video is outdated, and with my improved rig, electronics and strings(I get them custom made) it makes the sound you hear in that video pale in comparison. Oh and it's quite comfortable to play.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tapper

Reaction score
I´m the person who took the big picture of Wolfgang Daiss with his Beartrax 17-string tapping guitar in concert (the one posted above, with the greenish stage lighting).

In fact, I organized that concert, and it took place after a tapping-guitar workshop Wolfgang Daiss taught for teenagers.

It´s very strange to see a picture I took used and posted by people I have never seen or talked to. But it´s alright - I´m not a professional photographer, I don´t want or need royalties or whatever that´s called for pictures. I feel a little flattered, too.

I had also been quite skeptioal about that monster of an instrument before Wolfgang described the idea behind it to me during that workshop. His 17-string thing is in fact big and heavy, but it has been a one-off thing so far, and who says there cannot be a lighter design once Siggi Abramzik finds a customer who wants a similar instrument that pushes the idea further?

The idea is that it solves a basic problem of Chapman Stick/Warr Guitar string arrangement and layout. With those instruments, you have to decide before you buy/order if you want to play with crossed or uncrossed hands - and then you´re stuck for good with what you chose. With Daiss´ Beartrax 17 strings, however, (which is indeed two mirrored 9-string basses that share the lowest string) you have all the options to play with. In one piece or passage you can use uncrossed hands, in another you play with crossed hands if that´s what comes in more handy.

If you can´t reach one note you need with your left hand, then the right hand might be in a position (literally) to catch that very note on the other side of the fretboard, or vice versa. That note appears on the same fret on the same mirroring string again, among other options that you have to finger it.

To me as a long-time Stick and Warr Guitar player, this penultimate flexibility makes perfect sense, and it offers some additional possibilities that Wolfgang Daiss had not even thought of.

I´m determined to get my own modified version by Siggi Abramzik as soon as I have saved some money again.

And by the way, the music that Wolfgang Daiss played that night was a mesmerizing walk through music history from medieval pieces to modern jazz. In the course of the evening, he made the instrument in turn sound like one big amplified lute, like two lutes playing together, or like an ensemble of two archtop guitars plus an electric bass. And by doing so he didn´t even exhaust the potential of the thing.

We did make a video of his entire performance that night, mixed it, and gave it to him a few months later. But he is a very busy musician who by then had a drastic change to deal with in his family life that absorbed all of his energy for quite a while, so he hasn´t posted the clips on YouTube yet as far as I know. I will contact him, however, and urge him finally to do that.

And as for the comments wondering about what outlandishly brilliant music could justify the construction of such an instrument: what a Strat or a Les Paul could be made to do or sound like was found out long after they had been created.

If Daiss´instrument is not for yiou, that is perfectly alright. But don´t be so narrow-minded to put it down before having heard it.

Music is all about freedom of the mind. It´s always absolutely marvellous to find out what instruments people have designed, and what music people can create on them. More often than not, the luthier himself ends up surprised to hear what people get out of his design - things he never thought of.

And: Who needed all the technical possibilities of the Abbey Road studios before the Beatles came along - a couple of unstudied musicians with a bunch of great ideas, determined to put onto the tapes the sound they had in mind? Who would have ever thought (before the Beatles) that pop music could have such depth, and still remain loads of fun?

ixlramp

Reaction score
Good post. It's an excellent photo. I have it hosted at photobucket, if ever you want me to remove it from photobucket i really don't mind, just PM me. It would be good to hear this instrument :)

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
In looking at that first pic...

17Saiter11hochkant.jpg

... at first I thought the guy was left-handed, so the open side of the neck would be towards the primary hand.

That makes sense, since I manage to play touchstyle (poorly) on my Agile Intrepid and my FM408, and as my non-primary hand is already above the plain of the instrument's horn, it doesn't get blocked.

Then I saw the picture of the player...

075-1.jpg

and saw he is actually right handed. That means that his right hand would be blocked by the horn from easily using anything above the 17th fret.

Is there some design advantage to this I'm not understanding? Most tap instruments attempt to leave that area open even on the non-primary side, so it's strange to see almost a third of the fretboard blocked by such a thing....

Stealth7

Reaction score
@ Explorer

I'm guessing the lower horn is there so he can place the instrument in the classical seating position.

As such.

classic_sit.jpg

That's just my guess at why it has a lower horn.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
@ Explorer

I'm guessing the lower horn is there so he can place the instrument in the classical seating position. That's just my guess at why it has a lower horn.

Hmm. That makes sense... although it's a shame they couldn't figure out how to make the upper frets more accessible.

Actually, taking a look at other builds from Beartrax...

VillageDumpFront1.jpg

Brownie1.jpg

...it looks like full access to the upper frets used to be a standar feature, but that it has faded in importance, for whatever reason.

Dopey Trout

Silly Fishy
Reaction score
I doubt it has "faded in importance" to the luthier, perhaps instead the man who it was built for decided that the cutaway is where it needs to be for him in order to accomodate his playing style. Besides the notes are easily reached with crosshand technique leaving the left hand to fret bass notes on the fly.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
I'm not going to flood the thread with pictures, but if you follow the development of the Beartrax instruments, you'll see that the primary hand horn has received less and less of a cutaway over time. It's not just a "feature" for this customer.

Sorry I didn't make clear why I thought the importance of it had faded, but the builder's cutaways have allowed less and less access over the years. Normally you see movement in the opposite direction, and that lack of access is very notable compared to most other builders of touchstyle instruments.

Anyway, I thought it was worth mentioning. You may disagree that I should have mentioned it at all. Isn't it great to be on a public forum where we're exposed to all kinds of viewpoints different from our own?