18 year old who wants to start home-recording... I need a lot of help.

• Thread starter Eben
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
Before anyone gets all mad at me, I bet that all the information I need is probably already out there in the forums, but it'd really help me to compile it all here.

Anyways... I want to start my own home recording setup. So far I've tried basic stuff, like the POD UX1 (ugh) and other tiny little proprietary peripherals, but I want to get into some serious recording. I'd like to know what kind of equipment to buy, setting up said equipment, mixing tips, all kinds of hoo-haa like that. I've set a budget for around 500 bucks tops thus far. Feel free to ask me for any other information that might aid you. Thanks, everyone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
Before anyone gets all mad at me, I bet that all the information I need is probably already out there in the forums, but it'd really help me to compile it all here.

Anyways... I want to start my own home recording setup. So far I've tried basic stuff, like the POD UX1 (ugh) and other tiny little proprietary peripherals, but I want to get into some serious recording. I'd like to know what kind of equipment to buy, setting up said equipment, mixing tips, all kinds of hoo-haa like that. I've set a budget for around 500 bucks tops thus far. Feel free to ask me for any other information that might aid you. Thanks, everyone!

There are other threads on this. But ill do my best to help out.
first of all $500 is gonna be tough to work with.

check out M-Audio for an interface to plug into.

or you could go PODX3 which is a vocal/bass/guitar preamp and you can use it via USB. probably could find one used.

as for Mics....if you want to go that route. Check out some of the MXL sets. the 990 and the...something else. set for like $99 bucks. its a great way to get your feet wet with using condensers and dynamic style mics.

Shure SM57 is a classic. also fairly cheap

get a good set of sennheiser headphones and you should be at a really good starting point.

Dont forget your software. Cubase LE would be a good platform if you have the cash left over. If not try Audacity...its free. but its of course has all the perils of being open source.

i run a fairly compact rig basically using slightly fancier versions of all that. you can add on to it later. but that should get you rolling.

setup would go something like this

guitar- pod - computer
or
guitar- effects- pod- m audio interface- computer
or
guitar- effects- amp THEN mic-m-audio- computer

basically i would recommend the POD X3 as a great way to experiment with recording. Bring in the Mics next, thats a whole new world of trial and error. you would also need a compressor and mic pre amp (while not expensive) will cost you more money. The m-audio Buddy is a nice simple one and Presonus makes some nice simple streamlined stuff too.

best of luck and god speed. PM me if you want anything else.

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
Ah, awesome. I was looking at a Pod X3, my friend has one and it's pretty badass. I have more money than 500, I was just wondering if that was an ok baseline, but your reply answered that. I've got Logic Pro here, do you know if Cubase is any better than that?

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a massive topic that cannot be covered in a short time, so it helps to ask more specific questions.
As said, your budget is pretty damn tight and at your budget levels you're gonna be hard pressed to find a decent set of studio monitors.

IMO and as well as many audio engineers far more experienced than myself, a pair of crappy studio monitors is far superior to expensive headphones.
Headphones do not give you a proper idea of the stereo image and having things panned properly/being able to hear that stereo image is important to achieving clarity and having the instruments well articulated in the mix.

I'll be totally honest, save up for a while longer.
Another 500 bucks or so and you will not regret having waited longer, because that will stretch your options further.

Edit : looks like you got more money then:)

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, awesome. I was looking at a Pod X3, my friend has one and it's pretty badass. I have more money than 500, I was just wondering if that was an ok baseline, but your reply answered that. I've got Logic Pro here, do you know if Cubase is any better than that?

The best DAW Software is the one that works best for you.
Whether it works good for someone else, great, but if I give you Pro Tools and you hate the interface, hate the workflow on it, it doesn't mean squat at the end of the day.
I'd suggest trying out several if you can before making up your mind.
If you feel Logic Pro works for you, then use it.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
A note about the Sneap forum, is to use the search function.
The experienced members do not take well to n00bs who go there to ask questions which have been answered already 50 times, and they will positively eat you up if you ask dumbass questions.
That said, IMHO it is the single best resource on the internet for learning about audio engineering. In the last 3 months since I started audio engineering study, I have learnt an absolutely ridiciulous amount there, heaps of amazing information and advice.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score

logic is a great piece of software. thats what im using as well. pretty much the most software friendly piece of software. i have mine linked up to Reason 4 and others and it all works seamliessly.

stay with Logic.

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
I'll have to try Cubase and see if I like it more than Logic. I've used Pro Tools before and I was pretty much addicted, but I'll see what else I can work with before I shovel out. In terms of money, I can add in another 500 to my existing 500. I'll definitely pick up some monitors, I've used Mackie MR5's before and I fell in love, but I'm open to anything else.
So far my list of gear is: monitors, a PODX3, possibly some headphones (for on the go), and possibly a different DAW if I feel the need for it.
How's this sounding? After gear I'll jump into basic mixing and using said peripherals and all that, which I've pulled up billions of links for.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
POD X3 is fine for now for sure. I like mine. Use POD Farm, it kicks ass and it should be free for all X3 owners IIRC.

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
Oh shit. I just read that I've been writing Pod X3 this whole time. I've meant Pod X3 Live. Being awake for two days now isn't helping me trying to learn. hahaha

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't worry, I sometimes stay awake for 2 days straight as well:lol:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Plenty available on the used market for cheap, so go for it.

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
I'll definitely ask you and/or refer to the zillions of threads and manuals I have here when I get it and it comes time to set up a good tone.

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
Ah, I was looking into it. Can you buy just Logic 9 by itself? Cause now apple's doing the whole Logic Studio or Logic Express thing.

MacTown09

Reaction score
I reccomend REAPER for your DAW. Its my favorite. I use a Line 6 Tone Port UX2 and Pod Farm with no extra addons to record. I dont have any professional headphones or monitors so i use multiple sets of phones and speakers that are laying round to check my mixes. Biggest tool you can have is experience. Just start with what you need, the VERY minimal and learn how to really use that stuff. As you go you will see more and more of what you need and you can acquire it then.

I am 18 as well and have been recording for about a year and a half now i think. Here is a song link so you can hear what i have done with my minimal gear. I am going to be upgrading soon i think. Probably starting with some monitors and i am saving for an Axe FX. Hope i helped ya out a little.

Jon Starcevich on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

DrewsifStalin

LOLKATYPERRYGUY
Reaction score
Reaper is decent, but it's been crashing on me ALOT ever since I started using Metal Foundry

Also since we're self promoting. I've been recording for since i was 12 and I'm 16 now. Yes, i swear to god I was recording at 12, even though it was really crappy stuff in audacity (Metal zone direct in Pwns any axe-fx u ken buy dued!)
Here is my most recent song.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8166437

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
Can you show me how to actually use S2 in reaper? I'm pretty clueless. And I see you have a PODUX2. Hook me up with your mixing tips? And some mixing tips for your metal foundry setup too. :B

')