1st 7 string

• Thread starter redluke22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redluke22

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my 1st 7 string guitar, and I don't know very well what's out there. I am somewhat particular in what i want, and i have been having trouble finding a model with the right specs.

My 7 string must be:
Neck-thru
2 humbucker
preferably hardtail/string thru, but a floyd would be ok, if it's original

that seems simple enough, but the only neck thrus i came across were the esp/ltd stephen carpenters, but they have a mid p-up instead of a neck, and they have an odd scale length, plus im not a huge fan of signature guitars.

all the schecters i saw had set necks, and most of the ibanez's had bolt ons.

i suppose i could get a custom carvin, but do you guys know of any "standard" models that fit my specs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
Agile's good.

You're not going to notice the set-thru neck on the Schecter, I wouldn't rule them out. Plus TBH the neck joint sustain issue is worked up, most study's have found that bolt on's actually have more sustain, followed but set necks, then neck throughs. But we're talking the note is still going on and humans can't even hear it. Sustain is mostly derived from quality of wood/craftsmanship/and bridge.

And while you can trust ESP, I wouldn't be very keen on any of the new LTD's. ESP is moving the LTD plant to indonesia, and usually that means quality :noway:.

redluke22

Reaction score
well its not a new ltd, from what i could gather it was discontinued in '01.
i couldn't find many reviews of agile, but from the ones i did it seems like a hidden treasure.

i think im going to get the ltd for now though, since it's cheaper. maybe ill check out agile when im more used to 7 strings, i dont really want to have to deal with replacing a cheap floyd unless im sure its worth the cost.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Adam (elysian on here, luthier) has said that neck-through guitars have the least sustain but everyone wants one becaues they think that it's the only way to get a nice heel.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
What study showed that? Now I'm interested in reading it! Myth Busters HO! :D

Shit, I read it off a link on UG. I'll try to find it but no guarantees :lol:

But to sum it up the difference in sustain is so minimally effected by the neck/body merge it's almost pointless to worry about sustain loss/gain. The sustain is probably more effected by active pickups low magnetic pull then by the neck joint. It's really just what feels comfortable to you.

I found it very interesting to read because I, like many others though sustain was:

neck-thru > set-neck > bolt-on

But like I said they actually found the exact oppisite (they tested a shit load of guitars) and their wasn't ANY noticeable difference in sustain to perfect human ears. If dogs played guitar on the other hand, (or anything else that can hear better than us) then in that case the neck joint may matter to them a tad bit more. :lol:

Hmmm... What if my dog could shred like Rusty Cooly... :hbang:

MetalJordan

Reaction score
Agile's good.

You're not going to notice the set-thru neck on the Schecter, I wouldn't rule them out. Plus TBH the neck joint sustain issue is worked up, most study's have found that bolt on's actually have more sustain, followed but set necks, then neck throughs. But we're talking the note is still going on and humans can't even hear it. Sustain is mostly derived from quality of wood/craftsmanship/and bridge.

And while you can trust ESP, I wouldn't be very keen on any of the new LTD's. ESP is moving the LTD plant to indonesia, and usually that means quality :noway:.
a lot of people on here like agiles i am one of them. from my experienxe owning a douglass sr-370 (same company that makes agile) i would definately go with the agile. as fgar as craftsmanship/quality of wood/ and bridge i doubt u will be dissapointed

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
What about ESP LTD H-307 or better yet, MH-307? I think they might be LTDs best 7s, especially cause they have no middle pickup and a neck pickup.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
set neck, neck through, bolt on.......

if the guitar is well made the style of neck to body joint doesnt matter.....

its all in their heads... :)

Latest posts

')