1st Vocal Attempt - Be Gentle...

• Thread starter MakewayforMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
I like your voice! The vocals get buried when the whole band is behind them, though.

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
I like your voice! The vocals get buried when the whole band is behind them, though.

Thanks! If you're referring to the end/outro when you say the vocals are buried, they are wayyy back in the mix at that point in the song. If you're talking about the intro, then I just chalk it up to it being my first vocal mix!

sear

Reaction score
You actually did a good job technically speaking - well produced and good performance. They have a nice robotic kind of effect which fits with the very modern composition and production. But, the heavily auto-tuneed Justin Timberlake sound isn't my thing.

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
You actually did a good job technically speaking - well produced and good performance. They have a nice robotic kind of effect which fits with the very modern composition and production. But, the heavily auto-tuneed Justin Timberlake sound isn't my thing.

Thanks for the praise. I was actually going for an "over-produced" approach to the intro vocals, so the heavy auto-tuning was intentional. The verse vocals and rest of the song won't really have such a heavy dose of auto-tuning. In regards to my voice, I guess either you'll dig it or you won't haha. But that's music, amiright?

gamber

Reaction score
dude.......that was ill, cant wait for the full one!

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Looking forward to updating with vocals to the rest of the song. I've got a rough mix that I'm not really happy with right now, but I'll be updating soon, for sure.

rekab

Reaction score
Quite good. I was expecting the typical vocals (horrible) that are generally associated with the "first time/be gentle" titles. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more from you.

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
Quite good. I was expecting the typical vocals (horrible) that are generally associated with the "first time/be gentle" titles. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more from you.

Haha thanks man! Yeah I've been a vocalist in all my previous bands and The Light Eternal is my first solo project. Ironically enough I've been recording instrumentals for all my songs and vocals have just been the last part of the process. They also take the most time (aside from programming drums, lolz) so that's why its taken me so long to post anything with vox. More to come though, for sure!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Only thing that bothered me was the pitch correction. Can't really comment on the mix either since I'm not listening with my monitor setup.

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
Only thing that bothered me was the pitch correction. Can't really comment on the mix either since I'm not listening with my monitor setup.

The "overly auto-tuned" pitch correction was intentional, although I do agree, it is a bit much. I was really going for a heavily-processed theme for the intro vocals. Since the rest of the vocal mix isn't in there yet, it's difficult to emphasize that. But yeah, I've been hearing that criticism a lot from friends that hear it that aren't necessarily as well versed in audio engineering as the crowd on this forum. Now that I'm going back and trying to get rid of it, it's proving difficult for me to do, so I'm def gonna need to work on it some more.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
I know it was intentional, but it still bothered me. Your voice is good so I'd rather strive for something more natural.

Anyway, good stuff - keep it going. There's some work to do on the mix too, especially in parts that you have distorted guitar and kind of that full throttle feeling going on. It needs to be more controlled and less smashed. Vocal production sounds fine, maybe a little bit too harsh on the high end. Also, try to leave space in the middle channel for the vocals so the don't get so buried.

')