2-5-1 Jazz Backing Track in Bb

MeriTone Music

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I'd share this medium swing 2-5-1 jazz practice backing track in Bb major!

Chord progression:

II: Cm7 I F7 I Bbmaj7 I Bbmaj7 :II

In theory, you can play Bb major scale all over it...

Bb major scale: Bb C D Eb F G A (Bb)

Playing Bb major scale will result in Bb Ionian (Bbmaj7 chords), C Dorian (Cm7 chords) and F Mixolydian (F7 chords) - all the same 7 notes...

Outlining the chord tones/arpeggios is a great next step...

Bbmaj7 arpeggio = Bb D F A

Cmin7 arpeggio = C Eb G Bb

F7 arpeggio = F A C Eb

Next up, you could try out some more advanced colours on the dominant chord (F7/F13) by using the

F diminished 1/2-1 tone scale = F Gb Ab A B C D Eb (F)

There's a free download of this jam track as well... right HERE :)

Have fun..... :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decrepittom

Reaction score
Playing Bb major scale will result in Bb Ionian (Bbmaj7 chords), C Dorian (Cm7 chords) and F Mixolydian (F7 chords) - all the same 7 notes...

Nice work!

I'm fairly new to imrovisation, and I was wondering if you would also consider using other modes in Bb, like D Phrygian or G Aeolian? My private instructor isn't very good at explaining modes :scratch:

MeriTone Music

Reaction score
Nice work!

I'm fairly new to imrovisation, and I was wondering if you would also consider using other modes in Bb, like D Phrygian or G Aeolian? My private instructor isn't very good at explaining modes :scratch:

Those modes you mention contain the same notes as Bb major scale, so you can essentially "think" any of them... the actual mode you are playing will more be determined by the harmonic context - meaning if it's in Bb you are basically playing the Bb major scale.... or on a C minor chord (the 2 chord), you'd be playing C dorian, whether thinking Bb major scale, D phrygian or G aeolian... hope that helps....

on this modal track you can feel for yourself how the 7 modes feel completely different, even if you're playing the same 7 notes...

Modal practice guitar backing track

have fun :shred:

Latest posts