2 Bands, 2 Tunings (back & forth)

• Thread starter op1e
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Anybody else have to do this? Just thought I'd see if anyone else shares my inconvenience. I have a 2nd 7 that's decent (stock SGR C7) but my 7421 is about to be all set up nice today with new pickups. The situation is; one band in E standard/drop A, the other in A standard (with lots of drop C stuff). Yes, I've tried to get them both to go to half step:wallbash:. I prefer the Ibanez for the higher tuning because of the scale, but can only use it in my main band for the 2 seven string songs and none of the drop C stuff (which is 80% of the set atm). Until I get a dedicated sixer for the drop stuff, Im gonna suffer the back&forth with a 10-52+70 set for now. Was using 11-54 but started breaking strings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Why can't you just use the SGR Drop C and A standard, and then have the Ibby for Drop A? Then you will only have to drop the 6th string on the Schecter a whole step. Seems like you wouldn't have to go back and forth one one guitar.

Flare

Reaction score
If you put it in GCGCFAD, adding a capo when needed would it work? Honestly i dont own a capo, so i don't know if it is a decent solution, i don't see it being used much and i wonder why...

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Why can't you just use the SGR Drop C and A standard, and then have the Ibby for Drop A? Then you will only have to drop the 6th string on the Schecter a whole step. Seems like you wouldn't have to go back and forth one one guitar.

That's what I've been doing for the most part. I just prefer the 7421 for now due to its clarity. Just sharing experiences and seeing if this isn't horrible on a neck.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
MOAR GUITARS :fawk: :lol:

I'll second the capo suggestion though. I've seen a few local bands do it without any apparent problems

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I've got it in drop C with a high G right now. Can't find the 70 I took off so its gonna stay like that another week I guess unless this 56 will do A with anything resembling tension.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Actually, the capo's a good idea. If it helps, I use a Planet Waves thumb-screw capo, and mine fits across all 7 strings and keeps tuning pretty well :yesway: and with the thumb screw, the tighter or looser you screw the thumb can effect the tuning :lol:

This kind by the way:

Planet Waves NS Capo Silver

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Nifty. But MOAR GEETARS is definitely the answer. I have an old Hondo explorer body that my guy is sourcing a neck for after he spruces up my 7's. Dropped them off tonight for pups in the 7421, and an orange drop in the SGR to try and get some bite outta the stock pickups without dropping too much money into it.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
For the record I am NOT a fan of this sort of guitar but...

You can get like a variax or one of them that changes tuning at the drop of a hat with the onboard technology- or one of those electric ones you install on the headstock that just auto-tune it to whatever you want it to be in.

I don't like that much but because of the convenience factor you might try to play either one of 'em and see if you get along with them enough to integrate one into your setup. As long as you don't totally hate the axes that would obviously solve your tuning problem xD Then you keep your other gtars in whatever tuning you damn well please!

I totally understand your pain though.

Band: Yo so... we kinda wrote this in drop ق tuning so if you could just drop your custom down to that... that'd be greeeat.....

Me:
Go_c2c804_2381022.jpg

:fawk:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
^Lol, I actually kinda like C for what it is. When we rebooted the band we contemplated putting everything in drop A that was in drop C and it just didn't work. There's something about that tuning that just works and I like it. Our 7 string low A songs are written in that tuning and work out, but its just too muddy all the time.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
^I will have more Ibby's. No more selling though, I'm building an arsenal!

Majkel

Reaction score
I got a Digitech Whammy DT for this specific purpose. Being a bedroom warrior, I play covers in everything from b-standard up to e, so I keep one guitar for drop-d (heavier low e-string) and one for standard, both tuned to D as a happy in-between the lowest and highest (going down to b is very rare, and it sounds better going down than up) and then use the whammy to instantly change tunings.

This is the best thing I have ever bought, although I now have a very hard time justifying why I want to buy more guitars.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
More guitars, dude.

Even if all my projects were in the same tuning, I'd get separate guitars for them. I prefer not having to carry my guitars around, so I just leave the one I use for the particular band at the rehearsal site. I realize this isn't possible in many cases, but in mine it is :)

Usually though, when I join a band, I basically tell them "we're using this tuning or gtfo", so tuning hasn't really been a problem :p Admittedly though, the bands I have joined before didn't have any songs of their own yet when I joined, so it's never been a big deal anyway. My current band already had some songs in C so I just went with it for a change. We've got one song in B too now, so I guess I've accidentally been at it again :D

I got a Digitech Whammy DT for this specific purpose. Being a bedroom warrior, I play covers in everything from b-standard up to e, so I keep one guitar for drop-d (heavier low e-string) and one for standard, both tuned to D as a happy in-between the lowest and highest (going down to b is very rare, and it sounds better going down than up) and then use the whammy to instantly change tunings.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea if the low B isn't used much :) I personally just get one guitar for every tuning. I've got 3x in C-standard now because of my band, one in drop-D and one in drop-C for messing around, 7-string in standard tuning ... and a 6-string bass to cover all those tuning :D

Hendog

Reaction score
I have to have a 6 string tuned to E, a 6 string tuned to Drop C, and a 7 tuned to B. I need 3 guitars (minimum) to play in the bands I'm in.

Bite the bullet and buy another guitar.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
When I'm only doing a show with BLu I keep em both in A standard so I can drop C either guitar. The one I keep the lighter low string on I tune the bottom up to C as well so I have 2 low C's. For the most part I'm keeping the Ibanez in drop A and the Schecter in A standard. I actually like playing the SGR again. Since my guy put an orange drop in it, the stock pickups are more than adequate now.

')