2 builds for school

• Thread starter Jango
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jango

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm currently attending the Guitar Craft Academy (Musician's Institute's luthiery program) and we have the chance to build 2 guitar over the course of the program. Our first guitar has to have a painted body and a bolt-on neck with a scoop headstock, and our second has to be oil finished with a set neck and a tilt-back headstock. We're also limited to common woods for our guitar, but other than that we're pretty free to choose our hardware and the shape/dimensions/aesthetics of the guitar. I already have both mostly planned out, and will be updating this throughout the course with progress updates.

BUILD 1:
Swamp Ash body (possibly a walnut top, not sure yet, opinions?)
Maple neck w/ W. African Ebony fretboard
16" radius
6 in line reverse headstock (not positive on shape yet, probably Jackson-based)
25.5" scale, 24 frets
MOP Side markers
Modified RR shape
Hipshot Contour Trem
Schaller 16:1 Locking Tuners
Dunlop strap locks
Ebony humbucker rings
SS Jumbo frets
HH design (we wind our own pickups in class)
1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way switch/blend knob (undecided)
Body will be painted white, all hardware gold

BUILD 2:
Swamp Ash body
Maple neck w/ W. African Ebony fretboard
25.5" scale, 24 frets
6 in-line reverse, Parker shape
PRS shape body
SS Jumbo frets
Schaller/Gotoh Floyd Rose (undecided yet)
16" radius
Schaller tuners
Dunlop strap locks
Body mounted HH configuration
MOP Side markers
1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way switch/blend knob
Body finished with gunstock oil, hardware black.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Swweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Sounds awesome man. Be sure to get with MANY updates and often

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
walnut does look stunning

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
^
Yeah. If you're going to paint it, don't waste time, effort, and money putting a top on it.

Jango

Reaction score
I was wondering more about the way walnut would change the tone, but alright. I really like the look of natural swamp ash (my Agile 8 is nat ash) and wanted that as the oiled finish. Another consideration about the walnut top; I can do all the routing for wire channels and such on the RR (and put the input jack on the top wing) if I go the top route, otherwise it would be quite a bit more difficult.

Jango

Reaction score
EDIT: Never mind, I found out I can put a top of the same wood on, which wasn't on option on the order form.

Jango

Reaction score
Small update, this is the headstock template for the first build. I'll be starting on a practice neck tomorrow, body design is due next week, so there'll be some updates coming up.

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 35

Jango

Reaction score
Somebody else mentioned that it looked like a katana, so it already has a name; Celestial Fury. Sounds weird/nerdy, but it's from one of my favorite video games of all time, so it's got personal meaning.

First one for sure won't be, it'll look a lot like this; http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/9/0/270390.jpg
except it'll have a hipshot vibrato bridge, no control guard, an ebony board, no inlays, and gold pup rings.

Second one I'm not 100% sure yet, the specs I have up for the second build are totally flexible and I might change my mind between now and then.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
Small update, this is the headstock template for the first build. I'll be starting on a practice neck tomorrow, body design is due next week, so there'll be some updates coming up.

either you have massive hands, or that headstock is really small :lol:
to me anyway

')