2 main vocalists in a band - good or bad?

• Thread starter DeKay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Insomnium's bassist handles the growls, the guitarist the cleans. I dare anyone to say that it doesn't work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Number 12 looks like you and heavyheavylowlow both had two vocalists at some point and they are pretty sweet oh and dance gavin dance!

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
Born Of Osiris, Disarmonia Mundi, The Unguided, Sonic Syndicate, Raunchy, nuERA, Deadlock, The Bunny The Bear, We Are the Ocean, Bury Tomorrow, Regardless of Me <- some good bands with 2 main vocalists that I remembered just in a minute or two... Bringing in more of second vocal never hurted anyone too, just look at SOAD or The Faceless.

I think that your producer is not against your second vocalist, maybe he's trying to say that vocalist, that can do various vocals is better than a vocalist, that focuses on one type of vocal. (In Disarmonia Mundi, for example both guys can scream, but one of them is also sign with clean vocals). So maybe he'll be happy if you'll do some clean, not rap singing?

blister7321

Reaction score
as others have said; dying fetus,despised icon, set your goals, four year strong(not a fan of either but its true)
LESS THAN JAKE

redstone

Reaction score
Your analogy is only valid if the two vocalists are stylistically close enough to be equivalent. Otherwise a more apt analogy might be writing music that has parts for saxophone and piano, but deciding that the pianist should just play both parts. Completely different result.

My analogy is only valid if the two vocalist aren't singing at the same time while the lyrics imply only one narrator. And especially when they aren't singing the same way.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
The Beatles had four frontmen.

I'm not really a Beatles fan but I always thought it was cool how Lennon, McCartney, & Harrison all sang. I think multiple vocalists can be cool. There can be potential for intricate vocal goodness.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Like has already been said, the style and context of each singer and song part completely dictate whether it is going to work or not. It has been done with spectacular results an infinite number of times, but obviously seems unnecessary and/or just terrible in some instances. If you guys are happy with the results and you feel that it enhances what you are going for, DO IT!!!!!

Also, I couldn't help myself with this one, and I'm kinda surprised I'm the first one to bring it up.

dude, styx, nuff said.

How many Styx does it take to make a good band?

(Disclaimer: I don't hate them, but that is some funny shit.)

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
I don't think theirs anything wrong with to lead singers. A few bands have pulled it off. Thats if you can get the two singers to get along with each other.... lol.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
My now-defunct band had two main vocalists for 10 years. I will keep both in the follow up band also because the dynamic they have together is so much more than a single vocalist could ever handle.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
These answers are great guys! Well he's more of an engineer and he offered us to record us for free because he likes our music that much, working with him is just a tad bit hard because of several reasons. I really need to get the confidence up with my other vocalist, step in there and do "OUR" thing without hearing 10 minute rants about how things should sound to him.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm sure many people would disagree with me, but I think Vildhjarta would sound way better if they only had the lower-voiced vocalist. Or at least used the higher-voiced vocals way more sparingly

acrcmb

Reaction score
I may be going against the grain but I hate two vocalists it just doesn't work for me especially since there's two different voices there's twice the chance I won't like the vocals on a song,it's weird but putting two vocalists doing different parts is just not the same as one who does everything, it kind of kills the atmosphere, with the single vocalist you get that intimacy and that connection, when the singer is weaving in and out of the instrumentals it sounds like they're living the song and singing directly to you having two vocalists switching all the time breaks that trance, you just can't conjure that same personal connection to the listener.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
In mastodon all sing but Bill really only does live background vocals or growls. Cradle of filth has two but one does 90% of it , it seems

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
In mastodon all sing but Bill really only does live background vocals or growls.

And at least to me, this sucks, as I've seen some live Mastodon videos where you can hear Bill's screaming really well, and it sounds brutal as hell! I wish he'd take the lead on like one song, and I'd be happy. :lol:

This would be one of my favorite two-vocalist groups...both are screamers, but each sound different enough where it keeps it interesting:

')