2 New Demo tracks - (pod/protools/some djent/ambient)

Nialzzz

The Perseus Veil
Reaction score
hey guys.

been meaning to post tracks up on this for a while.

let me start off saying, the drums are stock samples. the tone isnt edited.
tell me what you think of the mixing.

this track is very bass heavy and i'll be eq'ing it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8189338/11.mp3

this track needs a few touches.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8189338/12.mp3

remember they are very very very very early demos.
hope you like.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Semikiller

Reaction score
Right of the bat I gotta say don't stop writting music. THAT said, the following critique should not be taken personally ;) The first song like you said has some bass overload. I think the snare (kinda loud) and the kick has bass and midrange that fights with the guitars/bass. The first song also has a riff in it that sounds almost EXACTLY like a riff from a cloudkicker song (can't remember the name right now).

The second song has a lot of chugz which is cool but personally I found it redundant. Towards the middle/end the riffs are KILLS :metal:. Also I would add a little bit 'air' to the guitars; find a way to give it more high end without making it sound ear-piercing.

All-in-all good job!

GorillaSalsa

Reaction score
I like them. I didn't find anything really wrong with them that you didn't already seem to know about.

Nialzzz

The Perseus Veil
Reaction score
@semikiller

thanks buddy. The bass is hella high on the first track. I agree the snare has a bit too much punch into the mix. Because I'm using the stock samples (maybe it's due to my stock monitors) I'm not really hearing the battle between kick drum and guitars. But I'll definitely look into it, dry it up a bit. With regards to the cloudkicker mention. I youtubed a few videos and found the track you mentioned (no doubt about it. Haha). I see the riff which consists of three notes. Knowing they are there, would you feel comfortable keeping a riff that has similarities to something else?

Second song. I agree has a lot of chugz at the beginning. Remember it's running along side ten other tracks that don't have proper cheese amounts of chugz. I hear what you're saying though - might edit it and slice some off. Your "air" comment... You've pretty much put my feelings into words. I'm at a loss as to how to do it. Eq at source when recording? eq each individual tracks? Eq by group? Run an eq on the master fader?

I know what you mean. I just don't know how to do it. Haha.

@gorillasalsa

thanks for taking the time to listen.

Thanks and rep+ to both of you (when I get on the laptop. iPhones don't like floating buttons)

')