2011 BlackMachine News?

• Thread starter DesertBurst
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
By "Specials", Doug means the non-ebony topped guitars he has built, like my quilt topped B2, or Bulb's Koa top B2 etc.. He's not talking about raising his prices any higher than those instruments would currently cost. All this means is that he is going to be building the guitars, then offering them up for sale, like he has done with the last few B6s.

I'm positive that this is the right move for him, he never wanted to operate with the massive waiting list backlog system that he has ended up with. This allows him to enjoy his livelihood, and means that there is a fairer chance for people to get instruments.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
so, in other words, he will make each BM available to the public via his website?

once of course he has satisfied his clients at the top of the waiting list...which makes me wonder how far down is the top of the list...

anyhow, i hope someone will update his website and add a gallery section for us to drool over!!!

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
man, i would be alright if he went CNC. Nolly, is that what he means? or is he hiring people? you're our man on the inside, get us the info we need!!!! : D

-Nolly-

Reaction score
All I know is that he has been looking into several different methods of upping his production without compromising quality in any way and also without beginning a cycle of devaluation that has occurred with several other small builders that have attempted expansion (Spector basses, Steinberger guitars, etc) .

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My only problem with this is that it basically fucks the guys that have been waiting for a custom (and in some cases have BOUGHT a space on the waiting list). Wanted a custom with these specs? Tough shit, I've got this guitar with these options take it or leave it.

From a business standpoint I can totally understand this though, since Doug builds VERY slowly and will easily move anything he builds this way. It also lets him clear his lumber stock of stuff he's had sitting around :2c:

I also don't get why people get their panties in a bunch when they hear CNC. Using a CNC doesn't spit out a finished guitar, it just does the rough woodworking in a quick and consistent manner. All of the detail work still takes a hell of a lot of time and energy, with a CNC you just get the rough parts cranked out faster with better consistency. Though the CNC thing is pretty much a :deadhrse:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
My only problem with this is that it basically fucks the guys that have been waiting for a custom (and in some cases have BOUGHT a space on the waiting list). Wanted a custom with these specs? Tough shit, I've got this guitar with these options take it or leave it.

That's not quite the case. There are very few people who have deposits placed (6 to be precise, one of whom is me), and all of them are getting guitars built to their specs.
Also, I think it's fair to assume that the guitars will be offered up before the hardware is fitted, so that customers can have their choice of pickups etc.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not quite the case. There are very few people who have deposits placed (6 to be precise, one of whom is me), and all of them are getting guitars built to their specs.
Also, I think it's fair to assume that the guitars will be offered up before the hardware is fitted, so that customers can have their choice of pickups etc.

Cool, but that's not what the initial post said :lol: Glad to hear that is what's going on :agreed:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol: Gotcha. However, the B6s have always been done in this fashion and I'm sure that's the way it'll continue :yesway:

Cool. If the exchange rate ever drops to 1-1 I might try one out :lol:

I am REALLY interested to see what comes out and hope Doug or somebody posts pics as these things get finished, as you and Bulb's customs are truly amazing looking instruments (doesn't hurt that they used 2 of my favorite top woods either :lol:).

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
yeah, Nolly, do you know if someone's in Doug's entourage could update the website and post some pics of his latest creations? that would be really really nice.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
The thing is there haven't been any latest creations in a long time, Misha's B2 was the last of the non-B6s Doug has built (that I know of) and that was 10 months ago now.
Can I also point out before this goes further that I'm just a friend of Doug's, not in any way involved in his business. We talk from time to time about what's he's up to, but I certainly don't have all the answers!

Meshugger

Reaction score
What am i reading here? CNCs? Does this mean that you will be able to buy Blackmachines at Agile prices? :lol:

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
The thing is there haven't been any latest creations in a long time, Misha's B2 was the last of the non-B6s Doug has built (that I know of) and that was 10 months ago now.
Can I also point out before this goes further that I'm just a friend of Doug's, not in any way involved in his business. We talk from time to time about what's he's up to, but I certainly don't have all the answers!

i totally appreciate that you are not associated with him in any fashion, i ask this just as you seem to be in contact with Doug from time to time.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
cool nolly, thanks for the updates!
it seems like Doug is committed to maintaining his reputation of extremely high quality guitars, so i'm not worried at all about him finding means to crank up production.

Sippin40oz

Reaction score
Am i the only one whos thinks that its a bit cheeky charging a fortune for his guitars and keeping all the best woods for his 'special' guitars?!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Am i the only one whos thinks that its a bit cheeky charging a fortune for his guitars and keeping all the best woods for his 'special' guitars?!

Not a single builder I've ever met has not had a special "stash" of wood for special projects that may come up.

That doesn't mean the other guitars get shit, it just means they don't get "that" piece.

-Nolly-

Reaction score

To expand on MaxOfMetal's reply, the wood Doug is going to use has always been available for customers to choose (and indeed they do), but the majority of orders are often the ebony-topped "standard" models. He has sets of top, body and fretboard woods that he knows will work together wonderfully both in look and sound so he's now going to build up those guitars and offer them up to the people on his waiting list.. I'm not really sure how anyone could view this negatively :scratch:

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
^^^ agreed. I just wish there was someway I could get on that waiting list. I've been trying for years to contact him through email so I could get a custom built by him. If only my name were Adam or Misha I could get on there. Only the VIP's seem to get on that list. I would love to own a "Special" B2 or B7.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
^^^ agreed. I just wish there was someway I could get on that waiting list. I've been trying for years to contact him through email so I could get a custom built by him. If only my name were Adam or Misha I could get on there. Only the VIP's seem to get on that list. I would love to own a "Special" B2 or B7.

Hah, not quite how it works but I feel for you. A lot of Doug's customers aren't forum-goers, so while it may appear like Misha and I get preferential treatment it's only because we publicise our instruments on here and elsewhere.
Send him an email with the subject header saying "Please add me to your mailing list for available instruments" or similar. No promises, but that might do the trick.

')