2018 Gibson RD Artist

• Thread starter yellowv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The pickups are pretty awesome. Better than I expected. A little more sterile clean than your typical Gibson pickups, but still nice. With gain they work well. Not as compressed as other actives and not as hot. Much closer to a 57/67 set than say and 81/85. They are pretty versatile.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Love this one, the logo is very cool. Almost considered picking one up too. The GEM actives aren’t bad, they are sort of like Burstbuckers. How is the neck finish, my 2014 RD was tacky like glue, but my 2016 SG was fine.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
So it wasn’t even something I noticed and I’m pretty anal, but yes the recessed battery box route isn’t absolutely perfect. Lol.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks uniform and clean, being a millimeter or so larger than the battery box itself isn't what I'd call a "flaw".

It seems to be by-design and not chip out or an off-angle cut.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I was just kidding but if you look at the bottom part of the route it isn’t perfectly straight where the router bit may have skipped slightly.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was just kidding but if you look at the bottom part of the route it isn’t perfectly straight where the router bit may have skipped slightly.

Gotcha, I can see it now that I'm off mobile.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
However I think the guy above was talking about the gap. I wouldn’t even have noticed it had he not said something and I looked at it. I have had more expensive guitars with messier direct mount pickup routes right on the front, so that hardly bothers me if that’s the worst flaw this guitar has on the battery box on the back. Lol

')