2021 ESP vs. Caparison?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
The term "handmade" is just as useless as "made in USA". There isn't a true definition of either and companies play fast and loose with it all the time.

I believe that and I would never pay for a USA guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Haha it seems like money is no object for you. :)

no, just got extremely lucky with both. One is a little beat up (7 string snapper) and I think the general consensus on the other is that it was ugly (RZK).

jco5055

Reaction score
The term "handmade" is just as useless as "made in USA". There isn't a true definition of either and companies play fast and loose with it all the time.

I would like to see Caparison make a shop tour or build video...maybe the fact that they haven't lends credence that they are doing some stuff that's a little deceiving.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I would like to see Caparison make a shop tour or build video...maybe the fact that they haven't lends credence that they are doing some stuff that's a little deceiving.
No more “deceiving” than any other company.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Outside of that, there's a reason that when you see walkthroughs of manufacturing facilities it's usually heavily guided. There are plenty less-than-nefarious reasons to not show how the sausage is made.

Most folks don't have a fraction of a fucking clue how any of this works, so it's just best to evaluate the actual product.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. I wouldn't get a guitar because it's "made in the USA", but I'll definitely get a great guitar I like that happens to be made in the USA.

I think I'm coming from the perspective that a USA guitar is going to be a lot more overwhelming in price than a Japanese guitar.

I'd like to see all the guitar shops do that actually haha.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Thanks - I'm trying to buy used. I would actually prefer to spend $2k rather than $3K haha.

Thanks - I agree with the aesthetics of caparison being a major selling point for me.

Yeah - I think I'm leaning towards the EII as well. I think the difference is that the Caparisons are hand crafted versus the EII are C&Cd? Not that that makes a difference in quality necessarily, but I can see the justification behind the price hike.

Thanks for the honest personal experience. I'm a big fan of edwards having owned a few of them, but they're scarce even on the used market.

Just FYI, Caparison is quite a bit nicer than any Eii.

Strobe

Reaction score
I have guitars with better designs, nicer features, but the fretwork, fit and finish on my ESP E-II Horizon III (that's a lot of roman numerals) is second to none. It's just really damn good with very rounded fret ends. I have yet to play a bad one - or even a mediocre one. They all felt great. I've played two caparisons. One felt great, one did not. Hard to make a strong conclusion from the latter, but the ESP's are a solid bet.

Masoo2

Reaction score

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't think they are CNC'd, being handmade is a BIG part of a Caparison being a Caparison; go on their website or read any "about Caparison" article and it's guaranteed to mention they are handmade in Japan. I think they have a really small output, like 40 guitars a year or something crazy like that.
Unless something changed since I've paid attention they are ghost built and Itaru finishes them all and does the setups which is why the production is so low. I haven't played any new ones which people say are better, the old ones were fine but basically Ibanez Prestige for like $1000 more.

I was going to buy a new horus like 2-3 years ago but they changed the body shape which I don't think looks as good anymore.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I own ESP CS models, all the way down to LTD's. I recently traded a ESP USA Eclipse for a Caparison TAT Metal Machine, the Adam D. sig. The Caparison is an amazing guitar and there are things I really like about it but at the end of the day, I will take an ESP over the Cap. The first thing I noticed and it's been mentioned is the fretwork. ESP fretwork is second to none. The feel of the Caparison and lightweight is a huge bonus compared to the bulky Eclipse, but I'm not too keen on LP shaped guitars to begin with. I recently had a USA Horizon that was IMO a huge letdown. The quality and craftsmanship was top notch but overall it kinda felt like a dud, not sure how else to explain that one.

jco5055

Reaction score
Unless something changed since I've paid attention they are ghost built and Itaru finishes them all and does the setups which is why the production is so low. I haven't played any new ones which people say are better, the old ones were fine but basically Ibanez Prestige for like $1000 more.

I was going to buy a new horus like 2-3 years ago but they changed the body shape which I don't think looks as good anymore.

Any idea who ghost builds them, and/or when it started? I know an article back in 2015 from Wired Guitarist claimed they stopped at the shop and met the 6 or so builders at the company (with pics).

AltecGreen

Reaction score
I think I'm coming from the perspective that a USA guitar is going to be a lot more overwhelming in price than a Japanese guitar.

I'd like to see all the guitar shops do that actually haha.

Many Japanese guitar brands are as or more expensive than a USA made guitar.

I own mostly Japanese guitars and they are all quite pricey. It depends on the brand in question.

redragon

Reaction score
EII is the way to go. It’s the sweet spot for cost and quality. Cappys are nice but I prefer ESP.

_Drizzt_

Reaction score
Team Caparison here. The craftsmanship is top notch and the necks, as someone else also stated, are incredibles.

yan12

Reaction score
Both are good brands. I find the build quality of ESP custom to be as good as humanly possible, and the few caps I have played are not at that level. Certainly good, and used caps are a deal that is hard to ignore. Comparing guitars with 25.5" scales I say ESP.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I own ESP CS models, all the way down to LTD's. I recently traded a ESP USA Eclipse for a Caparison TAT Metal Machine, the Adam D. sig. The Caparison is an amazing guitar and there are things I really like about it but at the end of the day, I will take an ESP over the Cap. The first thing I noticed and it's been mentioned is the fretwork. ESP fretwork is second to none. The feel of the Caparison and lightweight is a huge bonus compared to the bulky Eclipse, but I'm not too keen on LP shaped guitars to begin with. I recently had a USA Horizon that was IMO a huge letdown. The quality and craftsmanship was top notch but overall it kinda felt like a dud, not sure how else to explain that one.

The weird thing about the Adam D guitar is the small stainless steel frets IMO. If it had XJ frets I'd have bought it by now. Went for an ESP M-I instead.

')