2023 Jeff Hanneman. Just what Ive been looking for!!!!

• Thread starter mmr007
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't there like a huge gap in JH sig stuff and his death? I always got the impression someone got ahold of the family much later on then started building the brand in earnest. Quite successfully of course.

Assuming by "JH" you mean Jimi Hendrix and not Jeff Hanneman. :lol:

Yeah, Jimi's old man wasn't really into marketing like that. It wasn't until his sister took over that things sort of went off the rails.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Assuming by "JH" you mean Jimi Hendrix and not Jeff Hanneman. :lol:

Yeah, Jimi's old man wasn't really into marketing like that. It wasn't until his sister took over that things sort of went off the rails.

haha, yes Hendrix. Makes sense, I do remember the sudden saturation of Hendrix like, late 90s/early 00's.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I can't get past ESP putting LTD on a guitar that costs that much. Their branding is all messed up, IMO.
BC Rich, Schecter, and Jackson are also putting out Korean-made guitars that cost this much. Welcome to the new norm.

Wahwah

Reaction score
BC Rich, Schecter, and Jackson are also putting out Korean-made guitars that cost this much. Welcome to the new norm.
I didn't even know LTD meant Korea.

But yeah, totally, pricing is crazy now. I picked up a Am Pro Strat a couple of years ago, can't believe they're now more than 20% more expensive.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I grabbed a mid-80's ESP Tele roughly half a decade ago and paid less than 1200 CAD for it - off of bloody eBay. My bloody Ohmura-7 was less than 3k and my particular generation of it was a full-on custom order. Granted they were both used (absolutely mint, though!), but contrasting that with new LTD pricing today just hurts.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
1652110532002.png

1652110558522.png

1652110581002.png

None of these MIM products come with a case whereas the Hanneman does, and ESP cases are very nice. Besides, for every Hanneman you don't buy because of price, ESP knows I'll buy two. They did their homework on this one.

Probably a subject for another thread (which I guarantee there are already 20 up now) we need to get past this particular brand (Epiphone, LTD...) is not worth a certain amount. These brands have been putting out increasing great products. This happens with automobiles too. A brand evolves into a more luxury version commanding higher price and eventually the narrative changes. I believe that Gibson's attitude towards Epiphone "You're not a Gibson and you never will be" has changed as they realize that $1000 quality instrument will attract consumers more than a $00 low quality one. LTD is the same.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Today will also be NGD for me. I picked up a NOS Hanneman which is arriving at work today. That guitar started this whole thing. I was talking to my buddy and told him I found a discontinued brand new Hanny with warranty and everything and sent him a pic.

He responded..."that's not new. The new ones have some sort of red star on the fretboard"

me..."what?!"

sirbuh

Reaction score
Probably a subject for another thread (which I guarantee there are already 20 up now) we need to get past this particular brand (Epiphone, LTD...) is not worth a certain amount. These brands have been putting out increasing great products. This happens with automobiles too. A brand evolves into a more luxury version commanding higher price and eventually the narrative changes. I believe that Gibson's attitude towards Epiphone "You're not a Gibson and you never will be" has changed as they realize that $1000 quality instrument will attract consumers more than a $00 low quality one. LTD is the same.
I think Inflation is playing a part in that due to anchoring. Agree with you that px lvl is fine for current build quality.

Ross82

Reaction score
I can't get past ESP putting LTD on a guitar that costs that much. Their branding is all messed up, IMO.
I can't believe this is a surprise to you these days, Indo Strandberg's are into the $3k CAD, Schecter Banshee Mach is over $2k CAD and thats MIK.

Guitar pricing is getting like house pricing, sky rocketing for no discernible reason other than "COVID prices". 🤷‍♂️

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with LTD models having a 'CTM' moniker. Should be reserved for ESP custom shop models.

Interesting you mention that. Even though I'm not against it, in this case it's kinda just a JH not a CTM? When I saw the new 600 series CTM I did think to myself, okay I guess CTM is being slapped on whatever they want now.

Dooky

Reaction score
Is the only difference with this one the inlay?
Even if it is, I think it looks great. Back in the day every second guitar seemed to be gloss black, but now satin black finishes seem to make up the large majority of black guitars. Love me a gloss black guitar with a bound ebony fretboard.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting you mention that. Even though I'm not against it, in this case it's kinda just a JH not a CTM? When I saw the new 600 series CTM I did think to myself, okay I guess CTM is being slapped on whatever they want now.

They did always sort of play fast and loose with that one, meaning different things per model and sometimes just thrown on randomly.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Why DID Kerry and Jeff stan Kahlers so hard in their careers?

Because Kahlers have a unique feel vs Floyds or Tune-o-matics. I have 3 Hannemans, one with a Floyd and two with Kahlers, and the Kahlers just have better mojo when it comes to fast, thrashy Slayeresque riffs. And the feel during dives is different. Overall, I still like Floyds better, but Kahlers do tremors better.

There is a very high chance I'll get one of these new models. First mod will be an EMG SPC mid boost to replace the tone knob (who turns down the tone knob while playing Slayer??!) and maybe steel rollers for the Kahler.

Marked Man

Reaction score
And a glorified one too with his name on it. Fuck it's like Dean Guitars making money off Dimebag Darrell's name all over again.

Would you rather famous deceased guitarists simply fade from memory??!

This keeps the legend alive.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
When I think of ESP and Hanneman ….souless cash grab is all that comes to mind. Definitely. Their brand is based on associating with Jeff’s corpse for sure

Marked Man

Reaction score
You play a certain bridge for years, and you get used to it. Kahler's are apparently really, really easy on the hand, both due to the feel and the fact they're slinkier than a Floyd.

A lot of the people who talk trash about Kahlers have never spent much/any time with one, let alone owned one that was well setup. They excel for thrash, that's for sure. In particular, I like how the lower strings feel when playing warp speed alt-picked riffs, more effortless to get a consistent sound.

')