22-fret Ibanez 7's?

• Thread starter jforsythe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
The pickup doesn't move at all. 28 5/8" is only 2 frets more on the same proportional scale as the 25 1/2".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
thus proving my point that it doesnt matter how many frets you have, the tone is the same ;D

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
thus proving my point that it doesnt matter how many frets you have, the tone is the same ;D

Actually, it would move the 2nd octave harmonic point, which does change the sound of the PU. (You've changed the length of the string in relation to the PU, thus altering where the harmonics fall.) I can generally hear a tonal difference in 22 and 24 fret guitars on the neck PU.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry eaolian, but that whole 2nd octave harmonic theory is false, as it only applies to open notes. As soon as you fret a note, that harmonic spot is in a completely different spot.

What does change the tone, however, is that with 22 fret guitars, the neck pickup is further from the bridge.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
jforsythe said:
I totally prefer 22 frets to 24.

24 frets is the smartest way to go since it gives you two full octaves. But whatever suits you. I have a 22 fret Ibanez AX7221 with a Duncan JB-7 in the bridge position. Sounds great but I've moved to a better instrument - an extended scale Schecter. I can't wait to sell my Ibanez AX7221. Haven't found a buyer yet though.

Rev.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, I seldom go beyond the 20th fret, but I have no problems with the existence of frets 23 and 24. They certainly don't get in my way. :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
DSS3 said:
Sorry eaolian, but that whole 2nd octave harmonic theory is false, as it only applies to open notes. As soon as you fret a note, that harmonic spot is in a completely different spot.
Thats what i've been preachin'.

marton

Reaction score
A lot of local guys I know only use the first seven frets on the last three strings. :noplease:

I never use the 23rd or 24th frets either. When the pickup is close to the neck, it picks up fewer harmonics. The closer it is to the neck, the fewer harmonics. So placement does make a difference. To say it doesn't make a difference is to say that having more than one pickup is redundant, and we know it's not, so it makes a difference.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
four_hz_at_140_db said:
The pickup doesn't move at all. 28 5/8" is only 2 frets more on the same proportional scale as the 25 1/2".

You are both correct! The pickup doesn't move at all, not even in comparison with the notes...except for the first couple frets.

marton said:
A lot of local guys I know only use the first seven frets on the last three strings.

I never use the 23rd or 24th frets either. When the pickup is close to the neck, it picks up fewer harmonics. The closer it is to the neck, the fewer harmonics. So placement does make a difference. To say it doesn't make a difference is to say that having more than one pickup is redundant, and we know it's not, so it makes a difference.

This is not entirely true- when the pickup is closer to the midpoint between the saddle and the fret being pressed, it picks up more of the lower harmonics, making the upper harmonics seem weaker, but keep in mind that the entire signal will be stronger. With a neck pickup, when you play very close to the pickup, you are going closer to the pickup than the pickup is to the bridge and it acts more like a bridge or middle pickup.

Frankly, I could do without the neck pup altogether; I'd rather have more notes available. It's all a matter of personal taste, though. If the guy wants 22 frets, he should be able to get them. Logically sound or not, people with neckier neck pickups get used to the sound and the quirks associated with the pup and will not likely be pleased with a pup that is moved back.

My $.02 and a spare marble (pocket lint optional)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
bostjan said:
It's all a matter of personal taste, though. If the guy wants 22 frets, he should be able to get them.
Thats pretty much the best response i've seen in the whole thread on the matter, but i still stand by my 24 fretness ;D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Actually, it would move the 2nd octave harmonic point, which does change the sound of the PU. (You've changed the length of the string in relation to the PU, thus altering where the harmonics fall.) I can generally hear a tonal difference in 22 and 24 fret guitars on the neck PU.

+1, the idea is to have the neck pickup's hot spot fall durectly undernieth the harmonic point, and has nothing to do with the absolute positioning of the neck pickup itself.

Whether or not there's any basis to that theory is, of course, debatable, and the fact that the only 22-fret guitar I own is my strat doesn't really give me an objective way to compare, lol.

That said, I can't say I feel "limited" by not having two extra frets on that guitar, and whether it's the pickup positioning or the body woods/pickup combination itself, there IS something magical about the neck pickup of that guitar...:agreed:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
You know, I seldom go beyond the 20th fret, but I have no problems with the existence of frets 23 and 24. They certainly don't get in my way. :lol:

I used to never use those frets either until I got my Schecter BlackJack C-7 and am playing a different style. Now I find that I'm quite often playing very high up on those frets and in the song I've been working on recently I play up on the 22nd and 24th frets of the 5th and 6th strings. I just see those frets in a different light now :)

Rev.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
bostjan said:
It's all a matter of personal taste, though. If the guy wants 22 frets, he should be able to get them. Logically sound or not, people with neckier neck pickups get used to the sound and the quirks associated with the pup and will not likely be pleased with a pup that is moved back.

My $.02 and a spare marble (pocket lint optional)

:yesway: You speaketh the truth brother. Like Ken said, it's the best post in the thread.

here's my $.02, I love guitars with 22 frets, 24 frets, even acoustics with only 18 or 19. Give me a damn guitar and I'll play it :fawk: Now as for preference, the fret number is only one part of a guitar's feel. I have a few licks I play in a few of my songs that require me to fret at the 23rd and 24th frets, but of all the music I play, I can only think of 2 songs of my own that use that range on the guitar. As such, I'm perfectly happy with my 22 fret S7.

22 is all Satriani needs, so it should be all I need, that's my take :yesway:

')