22-fret Ibanez 7's?

• Thread starter jforsythe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I totally prefer 22 frets to 24. It's more of the fact that I grew up playing 22 fret guitars and I'm used to them more than anything else. Has anybody seen a 22-fret Ibanez 7-string?

Totally unrelated question: How does someone have access to buy a famous guitar player's guitar, for example jtm45's Dino Ibanez? I can't imagine them going up for sale on eBay or something.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
my grx720 has 22 frets. not to mention an aldar body and two humbuckers. i'd love to trade it to you for your uv777 but then i'd be swindling you. i think the AX7s are 22 fretters. im not sure if i'm right though and i have no idea either if you like that line of guitars.

hacker666758

Reaction score
I have one. AX7221 with a seymour duncan somethingorother in it.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
Sorry, I should've been more specific. Has anybody seen a 22 fret RG 7-string?

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My S 7420 has 22 frets, I like it but the rest of my 7s have 24 and I prefer that.
My Strat has 21 and the lowest I could go. I prefer 22 up. :)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
540S7 as well as the S7420. 540S7 is better though.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
jforsythe said:
I totally prefer 22 frets to 24. It's more of the fact that I grew up playing 22 fret guitars and I'm used to them more than anything else. Has anybody seen a 22-fret Ibanez 7-string?

Totally unrelated question: How does someone have access to buy a famous guitar player's guitar, for example jtm45's Dino Ibanez? I can't imagine them going up for sale on eBay or something.

Matt Heafey sold his white Les Paul on ebay just recently.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I heard those guys are switching to 7-strings. Any idea what brand they are going to use?

bat69420

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
I don't see why you'd limit yourself. With that logic, why do you play a 7 string at all?

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As far as I know Ibanez hasn't released any 22 fret RG7's. The AX, GRX and S-series 7's all have 22 frets.

As for "celebrity" guitars, they sell via a number of means. Ebay, adds on band websites, forums such as this and even adds in the back of a magazine.

Trivium are going to 7's. Matt has a JP7. I don't know what Corey has.

bat69420 said:
I don't see why you'd limit yourself. With that logic, why do you play a 7 string at all?

How often do you go beyond the 22nd fret? I'd imagine rarely. There are also arguments that 22 fret guitars have a better neck pickup tone. In the case of some manufacturers a 22 fret guitar balances better too, as the body is physically the same size, but the bridge is maoved toward the neck to compensate for the extra frets.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Shawn said:
:agreed: although the S 7420 is nice.
Never said it wasnt. i wouldnt mind owning one. But the 540S7 has that Lo Pro and HSS thing goin on \m/

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
bat69420 said:

Well, in my case, I seldom used those last two notes, and I far prefer the tone of the neck pickup on 22 fret guitars. It's not really limiting - more a question of which trade-offs you choose to make.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
ive never really noticed the difference between the guitars that have 22 frets and 24 frets on the neck pickup tones... maybe its cause i havent looked for it... but i actually do like having those last 2 notes. it just makes sense to me.. why go all the way up to D and stop when you just get the extra octave with only 2 more frets?

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I got the best of both world with my S7420. I had Michael Dolan make me a 28 5/8" 24 fret neck for it, so I have 24 frets with the same pickup tone as a 22 fret guitar.

newneck1.JPG

And no, I have not seen any 22 fret RGs. Personally the only 22 fret I own is my acoustic: http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/model-3101.htm Which, by the way, is a phenomenal acoustic for electric players.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't the extended scale move the pickup out of the 'sweet spot' anyway?

')