25.5 or 27 in. scale? Whats your opinion?

Skanky

Reaction score
Trying to get to the meat of your questions here... I just did the exact same switch that you did (25.5" to 27", Carvin -> Agile).

Are bends harder?
Really, "harder" isn't the right word. It's different for sure. For the same string gauge and tuning, you will need to bend the string farther to get the same change in pitch. Down-tuning will help this. Lighter gauge strings will help this. A fixed bridge will also help this. But really, you'll get used to it. Don't worry about it so much.

Are pinched harmonics harder?
Again, not harder, just different. Partially due to the fact that they are located slightly differently than the 25.5" scale guitar, and also due to the change in tone (pickups), and also the change in hand position.

The safest bet is to somehow get behind a 27" scale and try it first. I didn't have that luxury, but took the plunge anyways and am LOVING it. Of course, my testimonial may not be the same as yours if you decide to do the same thing.

I can definitely vouch for the Agile guitar that I got though - this thing is amazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Diminished

Reaction score
...I honestly don't think you should be using this thin (.007") of a string unless you are tuning up or using a scale length greater than 31" for the high E. If you are tuning down, then .009" is pretty floppy. Remember that the shift from 25.5" to 27" is equal to one semitone, so tuning a 25.5" standard or tuning a 27" guitar down a half step yields exactly the same tension (as does a 28 5/8" scale tuned D standard).

Thanks, that helped put string tension in perspective, I guess I'll start with .009's and work my way down if needed.

Skanky said:
Rather than give you a rundown of my story, here's a link for you.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beg...tor-727-a.html

I can definitely vouch for the Agile guitar that I got though - this thing is amazing.

Confidence++

Thanks to everyone who posted, I've decided to go with the 27" scale. Bigger is better and there shouldn't be any problems with the baritone case... Hopefully won't take long to get used to. Pics will be posted when it arrives!

Thanks all :metal:

RaceCar

Que te jodas.
Reaction score
Rather than give you a rundown of my story, here's a link for you.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/133671-should-i-agile-interceptor-727-a.html

In short, the tension IS greater, and it's quite a bit harder to do bends (initially). however, I got used to it pretty quick. The string spacing and fret spacing differences are minimal impact, and I actually like it much better this way (on the agile).

Of course, YMMV.

This is true. When I transitioned from a 25.5 6-string over to my 27" Schecter C-7, bending (especially whole notes) was hard as first, and holding a bend I felt like I had to use a significant amount more energy. However, your fingers will strengthen and adjust naturally over the course of about 3 months and then you won't even notice the difference anymore probably.

I have small hands (girl hands...19 cm long from wrist to top of middle finger) and I have no problem with the added 1.5" doing scales/chords anything. And the neck on my C-7 is fat as HELL, it is by no means skinny. You will adapt! :wavey:

exordium

Reaction score
This is true. When I transitioned from a 25.5 6-string over to my 27" Schecter C-7, bending (especially whole notes) was hard as first, and holding a bend I felt like I had to use a significant amount more energy. However, your fingers will strengthen and adjust naturally over the course of about 3 months and then you won't even notice the difference anymore probably.

I have small hands (girl hands...19 cm long from wrist to top of middle finger) and I have no problem with the added 1.5" doing scales/chords anything. And the neck on my C-7 is fat as HELL, it is by no means skinny. You will adapt! :wavey:

My hands are only 16 cm long (from wrist to top of middle finger), wonder what hands they are lol. I have no trouble playing my 25.5" scale LTD. My guess is a thin neck would help me a lot. Would an Agile neck be thinner enough than my LTD so that it'd be comfortable to play?

One more question - I see those beautiful Septor Elites for sale right now. How often are those available? If I don't buy one right away, when is the next time they will be available?

Thanks. :)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Regarding all the talk about scale length and string tension, you need to conisder these variables as NOT being tied together. You could make your 25.5" guitar have higher string tension and be tougher to do bends on, or you could make a 27" guitar easier to do bends on. When getting a different scale length you need to determine what tension you like and get strings according to that, not adapt to the same gauge strings on the new scale length. Use the string tension calculator and it will open a huge world of possibilities for what strings you can use.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I felt pretty much no difference from switching from my old 7420 to my custom Agile (27"). I used the same gauge strings (10s, I think) and I adjusted nice and easy to the Agile.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The scale length makes a bigger difference in tone than it does in tension: Thread about inharmonicity and scale length
Holy crap that's a good read! I'm a total geek for this kind of thing, so thanks for taking the time to write that! (and for posting the link so I know it exists!). But it sounds like there's pretty much no way to a kid substantial inharmonicity on the low B at 25.5", or F#1 at less than 28.625", right?

Metal_Late

Reaction score
My friend tested my new Hellraiser C-7 (26.5 scale).

I said it has 26.5 scale and he thought it was 25.5 scale :lol: and he used to play ltd mh-400 guitar but nowadays sc-607.

')