25.5" or 27" scale

• Thread starter morbideddie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
so for the people that own both 25.5 and 27" scale...

does it affect your soloing or shredding on the higher frets?
how do both scale lengths compare shred wise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
I am not much of a shredder, but I prefer 25.5" just sliiiiiiiiiightly better.
Shorter scale also feels better to me for whammy squeals, because strings become softer when you dive.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score

The increased stiffness in the strings is what kills it for me. The increase in tension makes them feel hard, whereas I find 25.5" guitars to be effortlessly playable. I could do massive bends all day on a 25.5" guitar, but my fingers just get sore playing baritones. Then again, they aren't designed for lead playing. I suppose it's just a sacrifice you make, but I like my guitars to be versatile.

Also, while the increase stretch distance is not a huge issue, without even realising it, you will be limiting yourself, no matter which way you look at it. Your maximum stretch on a 25.5" guitar is obviously going to have less range on a 27" guitar.

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
The increased stiffness in the strings is what kills it for me. The increase in tension makes them feel hard, whereas I find 25.5" guitars to be effortlessly playable. I could do massive bends all day on a 25.5" guitar, but my fingers just get sore playing baritones. Then again, they aren't designed for lead playing. I suppose it's just a sacrifice you make, but I like my guitars to be versatile.

Also, while the increase stretch distance is not a huge issue, without even realising it, you will be limiting yourself, no matter which way you look at it. Your maximum stretch on a 25.5" guitar is obviously going to have less range on a 27" guitar.

thanks man

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I don't think there's as much of a difference in tone simply due to scale length. Yes, there is one as there is more string tension, but the way some people on this forum describe it, it's as if the difference is night and day. I think the reason for that is that a lot of people went from 7-string RG's to Agiles. The difference between those two (in most cases) would be the switch from passive to active pickups and a basswood body and rosewood fretboard to a maple neck-through with mahogany wings and maple or ebony fretboard. Regardless of scale length, at that point, your Agile is going to sound a hell of a lot brighter/tighter. That said, another huge factor in tone/tightness is in the amp+EQ and in your playing style/technique.

I think that a longer scale will brighten up the sound a little (although not quite as much as some would argue), and as far as the issue of playability goes, I read that 25% of that extra 1.5" is made up within the first 4 frets, so there would be more of a difference in the playability of the lower registers than the higher. Bends and vibratos will also be a little harder on the fingers. :2c:

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score

I don't know. I don't think it's that big of a difference, but then again, I've never been much of a blues bends type of player anyway. If anything, the stiffer feel to me, means less in the way of pitch changes from in advertently bending notes, while playing fast in the higher registers.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Not really, as long as you take a little time to get used to it. The stretch's themselves are not typically more difficult, some of the stuff around the 10th fret or lower can be a little less comfy, but that's all about your hands.

I never had a problem with the feel of the longer scales, as much as the tone. As well as having to use fairly thin top strings, which tend to sound dead and go lifeless after a shorter period of time then the typical .009 or .010 set.

Though, as Ellen pointed out, EQ-ing is a major factor as well.

It's all about suiting your needs as a player.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I never had a problem with the feel of the longer scales, as much as the tone. As well as having to use fairly thin top strings, which tend to sound dead and go lifeless after a shorter period of time then the typical .009 or .010 set.

I use a .09 set on my 28" 8 string. :wavey:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I went from my old 7420 to my 27" Agile like no difference whatsoever.

brvges

Reaction score
I recently bought an Agile Septor Pro 727...it's my first 7 string/27" scale guitar. The only other guitar I have is an Epiphone Les Paul (no idea what the scale is...). This was a big change for with the larger scale AND the extra string.

The neck is noticeably bigger to me on the 7 string. After playing the Agile for a few days I picked up my Epiphone and it felt really small! I was quite surprised by that. My hand/wrist does get a little sore playing the 7 string, but I'm still getting used to it. That being said...the 7 string is just a much smoother guitar to play...everything sounds crisper and the string/neck just feel smooth and great...

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

Use lighter strings? The extra 1.5" only adds 1-2 lbs of tension per string, which is about the difference between 9's and 10's. And I'm totally failling to see how they "Aren't designed for lead playing"? There's tons of people who play leads on 27" scale instruments. To cite the official favorite band of ss.org, Meshuggah.. All their leads are on 27-30" scale instruments, as is any band using a commercially available 8 string. Nevermore's leads are on 26.5" (.5" shy of 27"), etc.

Unless you're doing ALL your stretches in the 1-5 frets, its only the same as moving everything down about 1 fret.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, just a bit of a correction, the difference isn't really split amongst all the frets; think of it like there's 2 extra frets at the low end. I.e. your 3rd and 4th fret are going to feel like the 1st and 2nd on a 25.5 guitar.

Little correction to your correction: 27" is equivalent to a 25.5" scale extended by only 1 fret.

If you tune down 1/2 step on a 27" scale guitar you have exactly the same tension and tone as a 25.5" scale with the same gage strings in standard tuning.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Use lighter strings? The extra 1.5" only adds 1-2 lbs of tension per string, which is about the difference between 9's and 10's. And I'm totally failling to see how they "Aren't designed for lead playing"? There's tons of people who play leads on 27" scale instruments. To cite the official favorite band of ss.org, Meshuggah.. All their leads are on 27-30" scale instruments, as is any band using a commercially available 8 string. Nevermore's leads are on 26.5" (.5" shy of 27"), etc.

Since Meshuggah is not a great example of shreddy leads on an extended scale I figured I would throw in another band that uses 27"+ scales for lead work... Animals As Leaders. Tosin uses a 2228 with a 27" scale to play insane leads and Javier uses a 30" scale and he plays a few of the leads live.

And another band, After the Burial, ridiculous leads on 27" scale.

For me, the 27" scale on my 2228 makes leads easier because my hands are not cramped up in the higher frets, there is more breathing room :agreed:

evo7ution

Reaction score
There has been thought in my head lately: Why not go with both in a same guitar? Like drop A would be something like 27" and high e 25,5". Like in blackmachine F8

I prefer 27"+ scale, when giving punishing guitar in drop A, but when soloing, 25,5" is feels much more right for me. Now I just play two different guitars (one is better for punishing, other excels in soloing) and it's ok when playing alone, I just swap guitars. But with band, it's like, you always have to make compromise with your sound and touch.. (yes, it's impossible to be fast enough to swap guitars "on fly" ;)) In reality, problem is not that bad, I can play solos with 27" too and I find 25,5" punishing enough in band play, but still, I'm self-indulgent and always trying to find better solutions...

Dunno if there's any 7s designed in same consept and how playable would that be, but on a paper it would it seems nice though those fretwires seem like a huge challege. So only guestion would be: how different is playing when frets are not straight and would that idea work in practice too? Guess just have to make order to blackmachine and test it out (and take a new loan, which can be payed slowly while waiting F8 to be finished.:fawk:)

lunaris

Reaction score
I'm not about to add anything that others haven't said, but I will point out that my Loomis (26.5" scale) is the most comfortable guitar I've ever used, and I have relatively stubby fingers (in my opinion). I would second those who've pointed out that leads don't have to suffer -- Nevermore being a great example (again, just my opinion). You could argue that there's the potential for richer leads, since you've got slightly more space to play with around the higher frets.

Just my two cents. Playing six strings with 25.5" scales is difficult now -- it's like picking up a toy :)

MrRedRaider

Reaction score

I was the same way, because I use to string both my 6 and 7 with 10s to Eb, but I got really tired of playing leads on the 7 because of the difficulty in tension. I like to feel the strings, which was fine on my 6, but I had the same problem you have on the 7. Full bends were just killing me, especially with the slightly smaller frets. I have since then started using Daddarios 9.5 set with an added 60. Perfect. Only problem is that you have to order them online through a large string supplier like just strings or etc because they arent exactly an integral set of strings. However, if you like the feel of 10s on 6 strings in either standard or flat, I highly suggest trying 9.5s on a baritone.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Since Meshuggah is not a great example of shreddy leads on an extended scale I figured I would throw in another band that uses 27"+ scales for lead work... Animals As Leaders. Tosin uses a 2228 with a 27" scale to play insane leads and Javier uses a 30" scale and he plays a few of the leads live.

And another band, After the Burial, ridiculous leads on 27" scale.

For me, the 27" scale on my 2228 makes leads easier because my hands are not cramped up in the higher frets, there is more breathing room :agreed:

Not to mention Jeff Loomis' 26.5" scale schecters. Or Rusty Cooley's conklin 8s and 9s, and the RG 8 string he had.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Not to mention Jeff Loomis' 26.5" scale schecters. Or Rusty Cooley's conklin 8s and 9s, and the RG 8 string he had.

Yes and yes :agreed:

It all comes down to a matter of preference I guess. I really barely notice a difference in tension I don't know why some people have a huge problem with it. I like slinky strings on 25.5 so I was worried an extended scale would make the strings too stiff for my liking, but I had no problem even with my friends 28 inch Intrepid.

')