25.5" or 27"

69dodgecharger

Reaction score
thats the question. Is there a big defference playing wise between the two? I am curious because I have been looking for a ESP SRC 7 string, and I have found two one is the 27" barritone model, and the other is the 25.5" and I cant decide wich one I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Sometime I want to drop down my low B to low A but I think that in regular 25.5 scale if I do it theres will be not good in tune in some frets maybe 1/4 but there is will be shit. And if on baritone 27 scale I will drop my 7 string so it will be good so I really want 27 scale . But I want Ibby :D

Good luck with your search

:D

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
The longer scale makes the low notes tighter and punchier, but the high notes just don't have the warmth and presence that the shorter scale delivers.

mungiisi

Reaction score
What about playing 27" in B? Is it okay? I just bought brand new SC607B and I'm more than happy with it.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
to be completely honest, i believe that the standard scale for 7 strings SHOULD be 27". It gives you added tension to your strings without having to go up in gauge, really makes all your notes more clear and articulate, and most of all it just feels right. I can never go back to playing a 7 with a 25.5" scale.

now i need to do the same thing with my 6s, hmmmmm.......

EDIT: I play in B standard exclusively, and only once in a blue moon do i drop the top string to A

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dave hit it on the head, 27" makes the lower notes clearer and tighter, but can make the higher end overly bright. Obviously you can EQ around that though. You can also tune down lower with thinner strings without loosing too much tension.

I've owned an RG7421XL and I liked it, I just prefer the feel of a 25.5" scale.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
27" is better for seven strings as far as tone goes. I don't hear the same warmth that most people talk about when dealing with shorter scales. You will actually have a shorter sustain and less warmth, because you lose tension, and have a smaller string mass vibrating.

Just think of how a mandolin sounds versus a piccolo bass. ;)

EDIT: Keep in mind, that brighter and higher fidelity are often confused. With a longer scale, your tone will have a greater range of harmonics. You can always use your tone knob to roll them back if you don't want them. If your sound is muddy to begin with, you can't make it any brighter passively.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
His main currently is a 1077XL which is 27". Most of my 7's are 25.5, but I have a 26.5 and 27 that I like as well. My preference is 25.5 and I tune with a low B.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i totally prefer the 25.5, i think if your a shredder based player its better, if your a rythm based player, go 27

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Remeber that 27" is one fret longer than 25.5" - not a huge difference technically.

Any added length alters your tone, though.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
soldierkahn: Do you have 27"?

Yeah, i use the 1077xl, which is 27" scale, but then again im speaking strictly from rhythmn/light lead player's perspective. i dont shred, mainly because i cant, so i usually just try differently voiced chords mixed with sic rythmns. As far as an all around great scale for everything OTHER than shreddin at 3000 beats per second (sounding like Mario and shit), go for the 27". I dont think youll be disappointed

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The high notes on my 27" are smoother and sweeter than on my 25.5" ones, maybe it's my pickups but I dunno.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
what pups are you running? I got the Blaze Neck model in my bridge and an Air Norton in the neck....

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Livewire Metal set, LWHMET in the bridge and LWClassic in the neck

69dodgecharger

Reaction score
How is it switching back and forth from a 27 to a 25.5? All of my guitars are 6 strings and they are all 25.5, I only plan on getting one 7 string, atleast for now because its going to cost me allmost 2 grand for this ESP I just dont want to get used to the longer scale and then not be able to play a 25.5. Oh ya, I play rythem and lead. I heard that playing lead on a 27 is actually kinda nice because the upper frets are a little more spaced out.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I too prefer the extended scale over 25.5". My Schecter is 26.5" and I really like it. I tune to "A" and the sound is clearer and more full bodied. It's also a lot easiser to intonate. Keep in mind though if you have small hands an extended scale might not be your thing. You can certainly still shred on an extended scale guitar, you just have to have decent size hands. Small hands will be slowed down a bit cause of the extra stretch.

')