25.5" vs 27"

• Thread starter Kalzedar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kalzedar

Reaction score
Hey Y'all

I'm getting a 7 string built and there's a possibility that I may only be able to choose 27" scale. I've only ever played 25" (PRS) and 25.5" (all my other guitars) so I'm not really sure what a 27" feels like. I was hoping someone who has both could give me an idea of how different they feel and whether it's a big stretch. I mean, I like the idea of a 27 because I like the tighter attack, but I'm just not sure how it feels.

Let me know

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Klype

desu
Reaction score
The 27" scale does definitely require a bit more of a stretch of the fingers between chords and getting from note to note, but not enough to really strain your hands. I have an older MIJ Ibanez rg7421XL with a 27" scale as well as a standard scale rg7321, and I have to say that I have a much more enjoyable time playing the baritone over the 25.5" scale. The only instances where i can really feel the difference between the two are when i'm just riffing out in the lower registers or playing leads.

Before you commit to a custom build with a baritone scale, you should try playing one so you know what to expect. In my case, both of the guitars were from the same manufacturer, so I expected the similarity in feel to be there.

Roland777

Reaction score
No biggie IMO. Then again, I'm used to a "35 BTB, sooo...

rghoarder

Banned
Reaction score
For what it's worth I was in the same position and found the transition to 27 pretty simple.

redstone

Reaction score
It's like you'll play everything about 1.5 fret closer to the nut.

Promit

Reaction score
Imagine every note was one fret lower and you're on the right track.

Kalzedar

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm getting an idea just from that. Honestly I don't think it will be that different, but I'm going to see if anyone I know has one that I can try (unlikely) before I decide to leave it as is or push to try and get a 25.5"

')