26.5 vs 27 Scale

• Thread starter Jackley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

studmiester7

Official Logo
Reaction score
If you're totally set on a 26.5" scale, then get either the Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8, or the ATX C-8. But honestly...playability wise, there's not much of a difference between 26.5" and a 27" scale. Tension wise, the 27" owns in the 8-string category; but overall you'll be just fine. I jump between my AW-7 (25.5"), SLS C-7 (26.5"), and my RGIR28FE (27") on stage, and I don't have to change the way I play at all. I'd get the RG2228 in a heartbeat; but you like what you like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I feel as if everyone glazed over the fact that OP says they tried both scale lengths and noticed a difference. That said, I personally don't like anything below 27" for an 8 string, especially if you intend to lower the tuning. You may want to get used to a 27" scale. It may feel a bit different for a while, but it's not such a large difference that it'll make it uncomfortable switching from 26.5 to 27.

I say, if you want it, just give the 2228 a go. They're really nice guitars, and as I said before you'll get accustomed to it pretty quickly.

edit: it has just come to my attention that this thread is nearing a month old and perhaps my advice is useless.

Johnathan

Gearhead
Reaction score
The difference from 26,5 to 27 inch is almost nil. You will have no problem at all getting used to 27 inch scale length if you already have played alot on a 26,5. Allthough, the tricky part might be getting used to the extra eighth string if thats what you are going for.

Latest posts

')