26.5 vs 27 Scale

• Thread starter Jackley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jackley

LordJackley
Reaction score
Looking into some 8's at the moment for new avenues with my band.

I love the scale on my prestige RGD 7 (26.5), and feel like the half of an inch will make some of our stuff more difficult to play.

I massively want the RG2228A, however the 27" throws me off a little. Are there any 8s with similar quality/price point that have a 26.5 scale?

Another thing that might effect it is what tuning I'd put it in. It'd be drop G for the top 7 and a low C on the 8 (effectively double drop G as some might call it, or double drop C, can't remember for the life of me). Obviously the extra scale length will help with tension on the low end of things, but I'd be grabbing some pretty heavy strings from Circle K to balance that out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

haffner1

Reaction score
The only 26.5 8 string that comes to mind is the Dean Rusty Cooley 8 string model, but the price point is almost 1K lower than the Ibanez. It is one of the few deans I have played lately that seemed halfway decent though.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
yeah man, I don't even know if Schecter is gonna continue making 26.5" scale 8s in that quality level, but if you're gonna go super low (I'm guessing the C you're referring to would be a half-step above 5-string bass B) you'll probably want that extra 1/2" just for intonation's sake. If you think about it, a half inch spread out over 24 frets is barely noticeable.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I think you would be fine with a 27" scale length; especially with the RG2228A. Ibanez did such a good job on the RG2228 necks it may actually be easier to play than your RGD7! :yesway:

Jackley

LordJackley
Reaction score
If you think about it, a half inch spread out over 24 frets is barely noticeable.

I used to own a 27.5 and a 26.5 7 string, and there is definitely a difference haha! Yeah I had another look at schecter, not a massive fan of the neck shape though.

Would it be better just to get a BlackCat or something similar?

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
I guarantee you won't notice the difference between 26.5 and 27. Except maybe in your tone.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Drumcityguitarland still has the Schecter Riot 8 in Stock, I have one, and it's 26.5 " scale. Honestly though you won't notice a difference with a 27" guitar except for more clarity.

Rev.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I guarantee you won't notice the difference between 26.5 and 27. Except maybe in your tone.

:agreed:

I doubt you'd even notice a difference at all. Pretty much every other aspect of the guitar (wood, hardware, pickups, etc) will make as much or more of a difference. Go out and play some if you can, and pick the one that feels the best. :yesway:

You mentioned you love the RGD and really want the 2228A. Honestly, I doubt you'd feel any difference in the scale if you weren't looking for it. Having that extra string should be enough of a shock that you don't notice the scale length difference at all. And if you're after a Prestige Ibanez, there really isn't anything out there that will be the same.

haffner1

Reaction score
I don't know about all of this "not notice the difference" stuff. You will really have to play it first if you want to find out. I don't own a 26.5 scale, but I have a couple 27s. When I played some 26.5s in the store, they certainly were noticeably easier to play. My hands are not that big though and 27 in is about the limit of what I can reasonably handle. Maybe if your hands are bigger it won't really make as much difference, but if I were you I would give each a try side by side if possible and see what works best for you.

Reaction score
Hello Friend :)

I also agree with many who have said: you will not feel the difference, but you will hear it :)

The tone and clarity will be much improved IMO

Best of luck to you in entering the ERG world, as I have discovered something quite new myself and lovely with my new 8 string :)

Take care friend :)

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about all of this "not notice the difference" stuff. You will really have to play it first if you want to find out. I don't own a 26.5 scale, but I have a couple 27s. When I played some 26.5s in the store, they certainly were noticeably easier to play. My hands are not that big though and 27 in is about the limit of what I can reasonably handle. Maybe if your hands are bigger it won't really make as much difference, but if I were you I would give each a try side by side if possible and see what works best for you.

I don't believe you based on fret distance. The guitar itself may have been easier to play, but you're dealing with less than a .02 difference across the scale. No one is that precise.

vansinn

Reaction score
There's abysmal little playing difference between 26.5" and 27".
However, the low string has decently better definition.

And I agree with multiscaling on a 8'er; I'll keep what I have now until I can afford a multiscaled of good quality, preferably a custom - mind you, some customs aren't that more expensive than an RG2228..

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that tuning with anything less than 28"... and my preferred scale length is 25.5. I think between having an extra string to add to hand adjustments, I doubt the half inch will too noticeable. A and Jackson has a 26.5 scale 8. Schecter sls is very ibanez like with 38" scale if you take my consideration though.

Krigsmjod

Reaction score
I've got a Loomis and the 2228. Definitely feel a difference in the first 5 or so frets. Also playing lead/bendy stuff is more comfortable and fluid on the short 26.5".

Another thing I've observed is that the neck pickup tone on the Loomis is much much nicer than the 2228. This could be the construction/wood/whatever. I've noticed this in a few Ola Englund videos that his 27.5" scale neck pickup tones sound almost middle-pickup-y.

Reaction score
There'll be more difference felt in in neck shape/thickness, bridge type, etc. as far as playing difficulty is concerned. The extra half inch will be barely noticable, remember that it's divided over 24 frets as well, each fret will only be a minute fraction further apart. You WILL notice the difference in string tension though, which is compensated by using thinner gauge strings. Since you aren't tuning the whole 8 down, I'd go for the shorter scale so as to prevent your high strings getting tinny and too tight. There are plenty of 26.5" 8's available still on the market, being schecter, jackson, and a few others

Youne

Reaction score
You really don't see a difference between 26.5 and 27" scale. For the playing stuffs, I play on an 8 string with 28.4" (a friend's guitar) scale guitar and I have little hands. Except for the extended chord (like 9 shape...) on the begining of the neck, where I cannot do everything, the rest of the neck is accessible. I think the less for an 8 string guitar is 27", 'cause, on a Drop E tuning, the low E is a bass guitar E....

Then, the higher the scale, the more accurate lows. Think about it ! Try a multiscale guitar dude !Ddon't really think the wood is concerned for your sound, specially if your gain is at 12/10 :D

E733

DOOM
Reaction score
My custom is 25.8" to 27.7", and I notice a distinct difference.

I've owned 2 other 8's (Ibanez), and never was completely happy with how they felt.

Multi-Scale is definitely the way to go!

')