26 things holding Canada back

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soliloquy

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mexi

Reaction score
most of these are just absurd. railing on canada geese and seniors? seriously. the list is heavily biased and poorly written, and can hardly be called an "article". In fact, most of the "problems", like obesity and low birth rates affect many countries. Also, Harper's douchebaggery can hardly be considered synonymous with Canadian "smugness". I like how they rip on Canada for making ripoffs of American shows when many popular American shows are just ripped off of European ones. I really don't see Canada becoming an "economic superpower" with the clowns we have in office anyways, so even if the few of these points that were legitimate were addressed, we'd get no follow-through with our piece of shit government.

soliloquy

Reaction score
most of these are just absurd. railing on canada geese and seniors? seriously. the list is heavily biased and poorly written, and can hardly be called an "article". In fact, most of the "problems", like obesity and low birth rates affect many countries. Also, Harper's douchebaggery can hardly be considered synonymous with Canadian "smugness". I like how they rip on Canada for making ripoffs of American shows when many popular American shows are just ripped off of European ones

them mentioning tv, to me, lost all credibility. sure, media has a hand (major or minor, you debate that) in things related to politics and what not. but judging entertainment media of a country is silly.

the point of obesity has some grounds to it (horribly defended, if at all). its the same thing that some americans are ranting about regarding 71 billion dollars spent towards churches, when that money could be spent towards science, or health care or homeless or what not. point is, obesity does cause more health related issues, which end up adding cost. just like cigarettes though. what was it? a few billion dollars wasted each year due to inactivity caused by 'sick days' that smokers call in on?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
The only one that holds much salt is the birth rate. The problem is of course of birth rate is out of proportion with our pension plan in the sense that our national growth is not large enough to support what we are giving back to people. Immigration helps to grease this a touch but the thing needs a revamp.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
First thing Canada needs to do to be an international superpower: quintuple its population. :shrug:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol:

I am happier being the international sleeper colony. No one ever suspects Canada. Muahaha.....

Watch out Netherlands. We weren't saving you from Nazis. We were saving you... for later. :evil:

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
How about legalizing marijuana effectively creating the largest cash crop available to this country? Ignoring that issue is like telling a guy with a rocket that he can get to the moon faster with a raft.

Amalloy

Reaction score
Some of this does have grounds. I know far to many people that fit the bill for the 'Liberal Art Student,' and well, they're fucking broke! But, that's individual choice - nothing to do with the Canada being 'Dormant.' Most Canadian students are all to aware of how the world works, and the idea of being fucked by the system when they "Fall in line" isn't very appealing. Maybe that's why I've turned to music? Haha!

The online retail thing is 100% true. Every time I try and get something online - I usually have to wait for it to cross the damned border! That's more of a inconvenience then a national issue, Canadian businesses are just behind on the times.

The disdain for the rich is just stupid. I don't know many accountants, but I know I want more damned money - and lots of it! I'm pretty sure any Canadian would agree with me here.

The more I read, the more I'm disappointed. Did some right-wing American nut write this garbage?

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I think too many canadians aren't moving out of their parent's house fast enough. I'm 27. I am SO much further ahead in my life than practically every single one of my friends. Only one of my good buddies actually owns his own house. I have a lot of older friends that are settled down. But, I got a lot of friends around my age or just a bit older that still live at home, don't work full time, go party all the time.

Wow, students finding it hard to find a job with an Arts degree? :lol: should have thought about that before going to school. that''s not canada's fault.

Too many people don't get out into the real world fast enough and rely on their parents way too much. Then, they are clueless when it comes time to take care of themselves.

edit: the geese one is hilarious! :lol: but, they are assholes! they are aggressive! fuck geese. They don't even get out of the way of cars.

our food prices are also outrageous when you compare us to the US.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I think too many canadians aren't moving out of their parent's house fast enough. I'm 27. I am SO much further ahead in my life than practically every single one of my friends. Only one of my good buddies actually owns his own house. I have a lot of older friends that are settled down. But, I got a lot of friends around my age or just a bit older that still live at home, don't work full time, go party all the time.

Wow, students finding it hard to find a job with an Arts degree? :lol: should have thought about that before going to school. that''s not canada's fault.

Too many people don't get out into the real world fast enough and rely on their parents way too much. Then, they are clueless when it comes time to take care of themselves.

edit: the geese one is hilarious! :lol: but, they are assholes! they are aggressive! fuck geese. They don't even get out of the way of cars.

our food prices are also outrageous when you compare us to the US.

I agree with you entirely, part of the problem is peoples parents LETTING them come back home, too. The boomerang effect is a preventable thing. The whole being 26/27 and living at home while partying is absolutely absurd, but I think a lot of the issue is highschool is easier, people go to university but a lot seem to stick with their previous social groups now (all go to the same school), which gives a perpetuation of the high school mentality in a place that is supposed to be a learning facility for adults.

The universities curriculum is also slipping, and that also doesn't help as it doesn't force people to change and become a functional adult. The universities need to raise enough revenues to operate, and therefore must compromise on quality of student and devalue degrees. This has lead to academic inflation (which means your piece of paper saying good job you tried a little is worth less, especially applicable to arts degrees, unfortunately).

So then the move home, all their high school friends are probably also back home, no one has changed, and they just keep having this period of extended adolescence and don't grow up until it is too late. This started a bit in the 50s-60s, but seems to be stretching further with each generation. Extended adolescence then was 19-20...

But I agree completely, people are too sheltered/ have been treated to too much opulence. Sounds like you are someone who understands if you want something you need to seize it, not whine about how you should have it, so someone did something right in your case :lol:. Our generation (unfortunately we get included with them) are mostly entitled pricks.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
They've should just gotten right down to brass tax with it

1. Nonstop winter - what's the deal with THAT?!
2. Hockey - haven't you guys heard of OTHER sports?
3. Maple syrup - seriously, what's that aboat?
4. Aboot/Aboat - seriously, it's aye-BOUT.
5. Calling it "Canada" - we think something like 'America II: The Reckoning" has a nice ring to it

I think that about clears it up

although I whole-heartedly disagree with #2, fuck other sports, non-stop hockey!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you entirely, part of the problem is peoples parents LETTING them come back home, too. The boomerang effect is a preventable thing. The whole being 26/27 and living at home while partying is absolutely absurd, but I think a lot of the issue is highschool is easier, people go to university but a lot seem to stick with their previous social groups now (all go to the same school), which gives a perpetuation of the high school mentality in a place that is supposed to be a learning facility for adults.

The universities curriculum is also slipping, and that also doesn't help as it doesn't force people to change and become a functional adult. The universities need to raise enough revenues to operate, and therefore must compromise on quality of student and devalue degrees. This has lead to academic inflation (which means your piece of paper saying good job you tried a little is worth less, especially applicable to arts degrees, unfortunately).

So then the move home, all their high school friends are probably also back home, no one has changed, and they just keep having this period of extended adolescence and don't grow up until it is too late. This started a bit in the 50s-60s, but seems to be stretching further with each generation. Extended adolescence then was 19-20...

But I agree completely, people are too sheltered/ have been treated to too much opulence. Sounds like you are someone who understands if you want something you need to seize it, not whine about how you should have it, so someone did something right in your case :lol:. Our generation (unfortunately we get included with them) are mostly entitled pricks.

Yeah, you know what. A lot of people don't realize how far putting in an effort can go! Too many people expect things to happen to them... they don't go out and MAKE it happen! And, I totally agree with you about the parents being part of the problem. Kick your kids in gear! PUSH them to do something with their lives! My fiance and I feel awkward getting together with the majority of our friends because all they have to talk about is getting drunk and going to boring after hours clubs.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Granted Canada isn't exactly overpopulated like China (I don't know if that's the best example) but we have four billion too many a person on this planet and apparently Canada should be doing what rabbits are known for? Seems counter intuitive.

zappatton2

Reaction score
It is counter-intuitive, but most people think in the short-term. Indeed, we are facing a demographic crunch that will be tough on our economy and on our public institutions. But in the long term (as in beyond our lifetimes), stagnant or falling birth rates are going to be a good thing, and will likely become standard operation if living standards rise globally. Eventually, the idea and application of a growth-based economy is going to hit a wall, and sustainability will become more than an environmentalist catch-phrase.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
:lol:

I am happier being the international sleeper colony. No one ever suspects Canada. Muahaha.....

That's why I wanna move there... Train troops in the forest and Fidel Castro the US. Under my rule maybe we could finally get along with someone... Perhaps even ourselves. :idea:

:flex: :lol: :wub:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
although I whole-heartedly disagree with #2, fuck other sports, non-stop hockey!

Even though, as you are from Boston and thus I, as a Canucks fan, am morally obligated to loudly denounce you and your lineage with as many profane vulgarities as I can fit in each breath...

...otherwise, I agree. :lol:

')