27" Scale guitars

Curtis1

Reaction score
UK resident here. Just worked out the cost to get an Agile Interceptor pro 727 over to the uk... Not a very nice figure once costs are added.

Is an old Ibanez XL seriously the only alternative we have here on the island?

I know we have 26.5" but after working out my gauges etc on "BANGZERO" string gauge calculator i found a 27" is perfect.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Every baritone Gibson makes is 27", though perhaps not in your budget...

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
We don't have that many options over here due to the problems with importing agiles. The sc607b and new sct607b are both great options. Mayones do a 27" version of their guitars too. But I'm not sure what your budget is?

I've had 2 607b's myself, what I would recommend is keeping an eye out on the classified and gumtree and ebay and you can find yourself a bargain. I've seen 607b's go for less than £500 2nd hand.

And it's amazing how often used agile's pop up too. That way someone else has dealt with the hassle of importing it and the risk of it being a dud and not being able to send it back.

But if you want new in the box, We don't have that many off the shelf options.

Curtis1

Reaction score
Tis a shame isnt it. What u guys reckon on the ol 26.5" business?

I used to have issues with the low b on my old 25.5" ibanez. Even with huge strings it was going sharp on inital attack and then decaying. Made tuning a pain and its what put me off 7 strings.

(I am a bit of a tech and setup freak), i had gone through countless string changes, bridge intonation etc etc. I know what caused the problem. But im hoping 26.5" could hlep.

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
I've never used a 26.5" scale personally, but I honestly can't see half an inch being a make or break difference between them, hopefully some Schecter users will show up.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I used to have issues with the low b on my old 25.5" ibanez. Even with huge strings it was going sharp on inital attack and then decaying. Made tuning a pain and its what put me off 7 strings.
This is pretty much the bane of my entire existence. Right now I have a 74 for standard B/drop A and it doesn't do it anymore, it's almost unreal to hear a B powerchord not sound like shit for the first time in my life :lol:

But yes, scale length helps a lot, I think 26.5 scale is what should be the "basic" scale length for 7 strings to keep a similar feel/tension compared to a 6 string in E, and also to allow for easier downtuning (6 string guitars can go down to A/A# pretty easily, but a 7 string in E/F is way harder)

To the OP: It's either Schecter (Hellraiser/Blackjack/Damien), LTD carpenter or Ibanez RGD in my opinion, simply go for the one you like to play best, all of them will do it

Curtis1

Reaction score
This is pretty much the bane of my entire existence. Right now I have a 74 for standard B/drop A and it doesn't do it anymore, it's almost unreal to hear a B powerchord not sound like shit for the first time in my life :lol:

But yes, scale length helps a lot, I think 26.5 scale is what should be the "basic" scale length for 7 strings to keep a similar feel/tension compared to a 6 string in E, and also to allow for easier downtuning (6 string guitars can go down to A/A# pretty easily, but a 7 string in E/F is way harder)

To the OP: It's either Schecter (Hellraiser/Blackjack/Damien), LTD carpenter or Ibanez RGD in my opinion, simply go for the one you like to play best, all of them will do it

What guitar is it you are using? Its a shame that it takes a string so massive as .074 to stop the problem

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
What guitar is it you are using? Its a shame that it takes a string so massive as .074 to stop the problem
RG7321, but on this guitar I always did fine with a 0.60 too, I actually have more issues with my 1527. I also pick very hard and that really makes the string go out of tune.

In general I experienced this issue way more with Ibanez guitars than anything else, even guitars with shorter scale (LTD EC) did better. I still don't know exactly what causes it and there is some randomness involved (once I simply changed the string and it went away)

I should also add that a 74 for B on 25.5 isn't really THAT massive, I can't calculate the exact tension right now but it should be similar to a 52-54 in E, which is pretty big but a lot of people use similar string gauges with no issues.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
In case the old Ibanez XL doesn't work out...John Petrucci BFR Baritone

I thought they stopped making it but its still represented on the Music Man website.It's certainly an alternative to an Agile! ;)

DTay47

Reaction score
The Jackson DKA7 is 26.5" scale and is a Europe exclusive, and the Jackson SLATX 7 string's are all 26.5" scale also.

')