"27th Nov Heavy Methul Mixtest" - First mixtest in a loong time! (Axe-FX, SD2.0, JP6)

• Thread starter Kurkkuviipale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dash

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I came up with this Gojira-ripoff riff while jamming and thought it'd be a perfect fit for this mixtest I've been wanting to do for a while.

27th Nov Heavy Methul Mixtest by Kurkkuviipale on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Anything sound off? Personally feel that the bass is a little too loud, but that's an easy fix. Any type of feedback is, naturally, really welcome.

Cheers!

Sounds cool. Don't really like the snare too much though, it feels buried, not bright.

I think your snare sounds a bit like Periphery II's. Maybe get some high end in that snare to make it a bit more "bitey/cracky".

Also I think because of the bass, the low end of your snare disappears. But I don't have very good headphones/monitors here at the moment.

Hope this helps you.

For the rest I think your sound is great.

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I've got nothing.

Well,

the snare is not my preference, but it sure cuts through the mix well. I was expecting more high end crack from it like the snare in "Definity", to be totally honest. That one, at least the sonic character, is my favorite of yours.

Kick is awesome. Love that wet and thumpy feel.

Did you do anything to the guitars since Definity? I can hardly tell them apart. If anything, it feels like the chugs aren't articulate enough. On chords they sound great though.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Snare was way too low (on volume), and you're right: Too little high end. I did something already for it after I uploaded this and I'll probably make it even better tomorrow with fresh ears. Thanks for pointing it out! I'm actually happy that someone said it since I was thinking that something's wrong with it, so now I'll have to put thought in it.

E: Ninja'd by ice. I started this tone from scratch and made it in like, 10 minutes. So I didn't tweak anything and it's not really a thought tone, just something with character to make it sound interesting.

I'll post a new link with a better snare tomorrow!

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Bumping for now, updating the mix later today!

The song sounds good, I like it :)... It needs a fair bit of work doing on the mixing, there are too many frequencies bumping and drums need some EQ work.. A bit more compression accross the board should help out with that. Every track needs to be compressed, even if you just have a limiter sat doing not a lot on a track, peak transients can be damaging.

Also I'm not sure if you used a master limiter? But it lacks in volume compared to an actual completed mix (Not master).. again compression will help you regulate to -6Db on your master with a bit of punch..

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
You're right, I did this mix quite fast so there is a lot of work to do for it. A lot of treatment to do and all that.

Can't agree with you on the compression since this is a really compressed mix. Might be the fact that I didn't push the master limiter to a commercial level yet, that is tricking you, but the actual tracks are quite compressed already. (At least for what I can tell) I like not to push the master too hard for "mixtests" since it makes it harder to hear what's under it all if it's too loud. I'll, however, try to see what's up with what you said since there definitely is something that you hear that I don't... Maybe see if I can compress it a little more or something.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
You're right, I did this mix quite fast so there is a lot of work to do for it. A lot of treatment to do and all that.

Can't agree with you on the compression since this is a really compressed mix. Might be the fact that I didn't push the master limiter to a commercial level yet, that is tricking you, but the actual tracks are quite compressed already. (At least for what I can tell) I like not to push the master too hard for "mixtests" since it makes it harder to hear what's under it all if it's too loud. I'll, however, try to see what's up with what you said since there definitely is something that you hear that I don't... Maybe see if I can compress it a little more or something.

Hmm yeah, I listened again.. There is no real crack on the snare, the kicks kinda fade and need compressing more.. The guitars could do with an MB compressor, chunk out at 400hz ish. They are dominating, I can tell there is a lot of compression going on, but it needs shifting around a bit if you get what I mean?

Cymbals could do with some slight compression and some verb to add space, not enclose the mix.

Also are you bussing and back compressing the drums?

I can see through a pre-mastered mix, been doing it long enough :) so not commenting too much on overall loudness... but it would be effective to tilt that way if you are going eventually for a loud master through EQ / Compression etc.

P.S not on my monitors when listened, so I can't say I'm 100% accurate ;)..

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
I'll try those out, even though I really like the kick being a little at the background. :squint: (I actually already did some further processing on the kick)

I've been trying to get away with minimal compression on overheads though, I like them natural. I'll test out a mild compressor on them.

Drums are all sent on a bus track and the track's compressed (just a little though since I use respectively more compressing on the master track).

I'll have another listen on the mix later and do some further tweaking. Did something to it now, am not really sure if I went for better or worse...

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
I'll try those out, even though I really like the kick being a little at the background. :squint: (I actually already did some further processing on the kick)

I've been trying to get away with minimal compression on overheads though, I like them natural. I'll test out a mild compressor on them.

Drums are all sent on a bus track and the track's compressed (just a little though since I use respectively more compressing on the master track).

I'll have another listen on the mix later and do some further tweaking. Did something to it now, am not really sure if I went for better or worse...

Aye, it happens to me a lot.. Better to come back to it after a while, Kick in the background is cool and it's a choice.. It always helps me get some low down oomph from the bass correlating with the kick.. Surprisingly a 6K boost helps it click out in a mix a bit more, but still doesn't let it smack you in the head like a really overcompressed mix.

I agree with the overheads, easy way to make them sound brittle if you overdo it.. Maybe just some verb to add some space ?

Just bouncing ideas sir, I get money for mixing but that includes a couple of hours Q&A so I'm just guessing make it as good as possible not accounting for style but always happy to help.. All depends on what your going for :metal:

P.S I do like it ;)

')