2D platformers - hook me up!

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like grinding my way through some old-school platformers, so recommend a few of your favourites. I'm especially interested in any made in the last five years or so, just to see if anything innovative has happened in the 2D realm that I'm not aware of. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Haha, if I had a DS I'd so be clocking New Super Mario Bros right now. I played it for a short while the other day and it definitely looks like the best 2D(ish) Mario game yet.

Contra, Metal Slug, and Gunstar Heros > *

I wouldn't really consider those platformers, but they're all great games. Gunstar is a tad too easy though; then again, growing up on the Contra games is bound to spoil my experience with lesser (ie SANE:lol: ) contenders.

That looks pretty cool, like Prince Of Persia crossed with Evil Dead. I'll check it out:yesway:

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
Dude, Oddworld!
94451.jpeg

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - MobyGames
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus - MobyGames

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bionic Fucking Commando?

I googled around a bit and it looks like this has been rereleased with Strider and one of the bajillion Final Fight games on one cart for GBA, I might hunt it down:yesway:

Quite a bitchin' game. I'm playing through one of the GBA Metroid games right now, it's pretty similar but there's a stupid computer that forces you to complete objectives so you can't really explore like you can in Super Metroid. Still fun, though.

I'll see if one of my mates will lend me a PS2 and a copy of one of these games. I've never actually played them, despite having their awesomeness preached to me for nigh on ten years now, heh.

I'd just like to add: Castlevania: Bloodlines > you and everyone you know:agreed:

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
Quite a bitchin' game. I'm playing through one of the GBA Metroid games right now, it's pretty similar but there's a stupid computer that forces you to complete objectives so you can't really explore like you can in Super Metroid. Still fun, though.

I can't wait to get my hands on Metroid Prime 3. It's supposed to have the best first person controls in a console game. Pretty good for a gimmicky controller for kids. ;) But in the meantime I'm going to pick up a Gamecube controller and Metroid Prime 1 & 2.

I'll see if one of my mates will lend me a PS2 and a copy of one of these games. I've never actually played them, despite having their awesomeness preached to me for nigh on ten years now, heh.

I haven't played them in a while, but I remember them being really good. :agreed:

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't really consider those platformers, but they're all great games. Gunstar is a tad too easy though; then again, growing up on the Contra games is bound to spoil my experience with lesser (ie SANE:lol: ) contenders.

I seem to recall those being lumped into a subgenre called 'run-and-gun platformers'

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
what kind of "2D Platformers" do you want? I mean what kind of game are you talking about, action, etc.?

Lucasarts has the best fucking games ever if that's what you mean, I mean you can't fucking beat Sam & Max, Monkey Island or Full Throttle.

I mean monkey island might be the single greatest game ever created, I mean what other fucking game has enough badass-osity to have a dude named Guybrush in it? none, that's what. Full throttle fucking ruled too. There was other games too like the dig, which was from westwood...

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Those are definitely not platformers. Those are adventure games bro, and if he was looking for adventure games, he would need to play through every LucasArts game made right up until the Dig. Day of the Tentacle FTW though.
One of my personal favorite 2D platformers is still the first Mega Man X. If you want to get as frustrated as possible in a short amount of time, the old Castlevanias from the NES are a good choice.

Latest posts

')