30 fret ibanez...anyone own/play these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
The one problem I have with the guitar is the Edge Zero II Bridge with ZPS3Fe Zero Point system. One of the first Ibanez guitars I got(IbanezRGA42TEBK) had the same bridge. The bridges are prone to the string lock insert getting jammed and having to get a whole new saddle. If it weren't for that MASSIVE(at least to me) flaw I would have one of these already. :ugh:

stuglue

Reaction score
To avoid the cramped fret access you could take a seven string, remove the low B, move all the remaining 6 strings down a peg and then install a .008 or .007 string, tune it up to high A above the E string. That way you get the extended range without the cramped frets of a 30 fret guitar.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
To avoid the cramped fret access you could take a seven string, remove the low B, move all the remaining 6 strings down a peg and then install a .008 or .007 string, tune it up to high A above the E string. That way you get the extended range without the cramped frets of a 30 fret guitar.

I did that with an 8 string once, with a high g, it was really annoying to play, I had to transpose every sweep I did and they felt unnatural, so I went back to F# standard.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
I've played on of the new rg550's and It felt alright. Nothing too special however. It played decent and I had no problems with playing the higher frets, and I have massive hands!

The finish is pretty good aside from the sparkles in it. It has a pearloid binding around the body I believe, which is a nice touch.

The neck is a tad rough, nothing some 2000 grit sand paper can't handle.

The pickups were not total garbage, but they aren't great either. All in all, it's worth the price IMO for it, But i think it needs a refinish though.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of sanding it down and painting it with a PAW swirl and a clear pickguard. I'd also like to swap the pickups, but would this whole neck pickup simulator pose any problems with doing a swap?

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
So, what I'm taking away from part of this discussion is that a lot of SS.org members would be confounded by something which bluegrass mandolin players do all the time, play above the 12th fret on the mandolin. Good to know! *laugh*

I've loved playing the Danelectro Guitarlin in the past, which has 31 frets, and have been considering trying to find one, or hunting down a Washburn EC36, a 36-fret Hamer, or one of those Kramer Turbulence 36-fret 7-strings....

gtarlyn_lg1.png

EC36%20fret%20zoom.JPG

images

yr36vertical.jpg

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
smell? I'm so confused...

if you watch the vid with the british guys reviewing the guitar, at the end the one in dreads stuck the lower horn of the guitar down the front of his pants. the other guy asked a question in which the dread guy answers "smell my access!"

just watch the end of the vid in post #7 again :lol:

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
^He also apparently got a pube stuck under the pickguard...

No wonder they just gave him that guitar XD

noob_pwn

Reaction score
I was actually thinking of sanding it down and painting it with a PAW swirl and a clear pickguard. I'd also like to swap the pickups, but would this whole neck pickup simulator pose any problems with doing a swap?

Now THAT would be badass!

I think a pickup swap would be fine, the pickups at most can only be 4-conductor because of design, you'd just have to wire them up however the stock ones were wired and it won't be a problem I'd imagine.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I just played one of these today going through a Blackstar full stack in the music strore.

Firstly, it was set up like crap; I spent the first 10 minutes tuning it. The fret edges were horrible! on the bass end they were EXTREMELY noticeable as I ran my hand up and down the neck.

Sound wasn't bad, but intonoation (ESPECIALLY above the 24th fret) was atrocious - then again, this MIGHT be solved with a setup, but who knows.

The higher frets were completely inaccessible in any sort of practical way, though I could imagin spending some time each day just working on sclaes, arps, and sweeps in JUST the upper 6-10 frets; I'm sure you could eventually come up with something cool.

I dunno. I think it's too gimmicky. I just don't get why these music stores don't take more care to set up their instruments, especially given that this was the "special" of the month. Tsk tsk, Easy Music Center, Pearl City, HI. Tsk Tsk.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
I just played one of these today going through a Blackstar full stack in the music strore.

Firstly, it was set up like crap; I spent the first 10 minutes tuning it. The fret edges were horrible! on the bass end they were EXTREMELY noticeable as I ran my hand up and down the neck.

Sound wasn't bad, but intonoation (ESPECIALLY above the 24th fret) was atrocious - then again, this MIGHT be solved with a setup, but who knows.

The higher frets were completely inaccessible in any sort of practical way, though I could imagin spending some time each day just working on sclaes, arps, and sweeps in JUST the upper 6-10 frets; I'm sure you could eventually come up with something cool.

I dunno. I think it's too gimmicky. I just don't get why these music stores don't take more care to set up their instruments, especially given that this was the "special" of the month. Tsk tsk, Easy Music Center, Pearl City, HI. Tsk Tsk.

i know what you mean, tried playing a new jackson seven string and the action was too low and had fret buzz out the ass :wallbash:

how you gonna sell gear if it ain't set up right?! come on!

Latest posts

')