30 fret ibanez...anyone own/play these?

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
So I've really been having severe GAS for the new EP fret ibanez that came out this year. There was the first one that came out last year, but the $2000 price tag was just out of reach for me. This year, they released the ibanez rg 550XH and I REALLY want it.

My questions for anyone who's played/owed one are mostly how it plays and the overall quality of the guitar itself. Also, since the pickups have a neck simulator, would pickup modifications pose any problems to it?

Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure anyone who actually buys one will be putting a "NGD" thread up soon after. Until then we can speculate..:yesway:

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure anyone who actually buys one will be putting a "NGD" thread up soon after. Until then we can speculate..:yesway:

If someone bought one of these 30 fret Ibanez guitars and didn't post an NGD...

thats-a-paddlin-30027.jpg

...I'd punch him in the throat.

Brohoodofsteel75

Reaction score
I played one at Hollywood guitar center. It feels cheap and anything above the 26th fret is pretty much unplayable unless you have toothpick fingers. With that being said I'm TOTALLY getting one.
:Edit: Oh yeah, pickups sound terrible. I'd replace them ASAP. Quality wise it's on par with most other not premium/prestige models.

Pooty Skills

Island Dweller
Reaction score
I played one in a guitar store in Vancouver for a good 10 minutes, and it was really interesting. While the frets were relatively easy to access, they were just so damn close together! I think with some practice they would surely become easier to play, but you would have to be very precise with your fingerings.

Kinda straddles the line between cool/useful and gimmicky/retarded. In the right hands, it would be totally badass. In the wrong hands, it would probably just sound like a bag of cats being hit by a bus

Reaction score
It'd be interesting see the compositions people could create with that instrument.

On a side note:

Lol "this is definitely some scientific gigery pokery" @2:50

Is that real British slang? haha

It's a Chappers review, never take them too seriously :p

The Scenic View

Reaction score
I tried one at s local music store and it was cool. It was set up like shit tho, and I think the novelty of it would wear out pretty quick

The Griffinator

Reaction score
I have also played one in store, I'll echo what the others have said. It gets really crowded after the 24th fret. It's not unplayable, but you need to be very precise to make it sound good.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
I would (and probably will in the future, near christmas if I can) buy one just to record leads with it, the thing that appeals to me the most is not the amount of frets but the cutaway, I've always had issues reaching the higher frets on standard 24 fret guitars, without an extended cutaway, more frets means more space where I'm comfortable. Though it'd be fun to mess around with it and see what I can write with 30 frets.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input guys! Unfortunately no stores around me carry one of these, and i'd have to have them order it for me. If I could play one for a good hour, I'm sure I could make a concrete decision. Until then, I guess we can continue speculating.

')