30 inch Drop Eb1 string gauge help?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Im all but done with a near 2 year Hiatus from Guitar playing. Me and my old bands vocalist want to have some fun with music again. I want to go straight in with this new project on my 30 incher. I basically bought it right when my band dissolved so its never had use - until now

Want that Drop Eb tuning on it as I adore how that sounds but due to my Hiatus I cant remember f*** all about string gauges and past setups.
Anyone got any suggestions for a middle of the road tension at 30 inches for Drop Eb1 open? ( really dont like super high tension)

low to high:
Eb Bb Eb Ab Eb Gb

Cheers guys and Im glad to be back

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FirstnameLastname

haard rock n roll
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I don't quite "get" your tuning. If you want it open, wouldn't it make more sense to turn that Ab into another Bb? (5th-4th-5th-4th-Min3rd)

Anyway I would say if you have the luxury to pick individual strings go for 74-54-42 for the bottom 3 strings and 17-14 for the top 2 strings, then either a 30 or a 26 for the 3rd string depending on the note.

Otherwise you could get a D'Addario EXL145 set, ditch the top string and add the 74. The tension might get pretty high on the treble side though, so be careful with that.

')