30 inch Drop Eb1 string gauge help?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Im all but done with a near 2 year Hiatus from Guitar playing. Me and my old bands vocalist want to have some fun with music again. I want to go straight in with this new project on my 30 incher. I basically bought it right when my band dissolved so its never had use - until now

Want that Drop Eb tuning on it as I adore how that sounds but due to my Hiatus I cant remember f*** all about string gauges and past setups.
Anyone got any suggestions for a middle of the road tension at 30 inches for Drop Eb1 open? ( really dont like super high tension)

low to high:
Eb Bb Eb Ab Eb Gb

Cheers guys and Im glad to be back

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FirstnameLastname

haard rock n roll
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I don't quite "get" your tuning. If you want it open, wouldn't it make more sense to turn that Ab into another Bb? (5th-4th-5th-4th-Min3rd)

Anyway I would say if you have the luxury to pick individual strings go for 74-54-42 for the bottom 3 strings and 17-14 for the top 2 strings, then either a 30 or a 26 for the 3rd string depending on the note.

Otherwise you could get a D'Addario EXL145 set, ditch the top string and add the 74. The tension might get pretty high on the treble side though, so be careful with that.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When you say "middle of the road" tension, how much is that? You might be able to get away with an .085 for that Eb if you don't mind a little slack. Should feel roughly similar to a .044 in E standard on a 25.5" guitar. A little more slack due to the longer scale length allowing for more flexibility in the string. Equal tension != equal feel.

lewis

Reaction score
Regards to tuning I'm trying to do it from memory so may have messed up exactly what the notes are. It's been years lol

')