30'' scale dimentions

• Thread starter Jacobine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacobine

Reaction score
Hey I've been looking all over and can't find the nut and 12th frett width for a 6 string 30" scale bass.

What are common widths of them?

Please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
12th fret is the middle of the scale length, so i guess it's halfway between the nut width and bridge end width?

knuckle_head

Reaction score
All you really need are your nut size and bridge spacing - it's all a matter of how much fretboard real estate you want for bending after that.

L'il nugget - 1 11/16" is passable for 4 string bass and 6 string guitar. Plethora of nuts to come by. Coincidence? I think not . . . . .

:D

ixlramp

Reaction score
I would expect the same as a normal scale bass. Ibanez publish their neck dimensions online.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I would expect the same as a normal scale bass. Ibanez publish their neck dimensions online.

Depends if he's looking for a Bass VI (which is 6 strings, 30" scale, and guitar string spacing) or a short-scale 6-string bass (which is typically wider spaced for fingerstyle.)

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
Hey I've been looking all over and can't find the nut and 12th frett width for a 6 string 30" scale bass.

What are common widths of them?

Pick up your favorite 4 string bass, Google its specs, or measure the distance between the centers of a few strings. Average the measurements, then add one spacing measurement for each string beyond 4. Also, remember to leave an additional 1/8" - 5/32" of space on the OUTSIDE of BOTH the lowest and highest strings...you don't want to pull the strings off the fretboard when bending or playing fast.

knuckle head is right, lots of 4 strings are in the 1 - 11/16" area of spacing, you might start there. Your spacing from the nut down will be determined by the bridge spacing, just remember to keep the two 1/8" fretboard edges outside of the lowest and highest strings.

Also, keep in mind that 30" is short for a low B string, you might have to do some shopping for the right string.

Jacobine

Reaction score
Depends if he's looking for a Bass VI (which is 6 strings, 30" scale, and guitar string spacing) or a short-scale 6-string bass (which is typically wider spaced for fingerstyle.)

so would a normal 30'' scale 6 string bass be wider than an 8 string?

')