37 Scale Length AEADG String Tension

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Heya guys!

My Brice 37 scale bass arrived today and I wanted to set it up with an darkglass capsule and some tight but balanced strings for AEADG.

Currently I am planning to buy singles from Daddario (xl singles) labeled with the super long scale length mark

Now I am not sure if what I am planning is correct tension wise.
If I aim for an .0145 for Low A what would the rest of the strings need to look like? .100 - .75 - .50 - .35 ? Or go higher tension on 37 Inch scale length?

Much thanks for taking your time to help me... it will pay off with awesome music and awesome videos, also darkglass tone capsule!

Attachments

• 37-scale-aeadg-string-tension.jpg
    37-scale-aeadg-string-tension.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 11

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Nice easy formula for an effective estimate - Multiply gauge by 1.33 for fourths, x 1.5 for fifths. 145 / 1.5 = 95 , /1.33 = 71, 53, 41. So 145 95 70 55 40 would make a good balanced drop A set at any scale. They sell a balanced 95 four string set with those exact guages - not sure if it's long enough. But yeah, grab those longscale singles and you're good!
The feel will be the same as a 100 E string on 35". Perfectly ok, but personally that's a little light for me, I like the balanced tension 107 set on 35". So the next step up would be that balanced 107 set with their 160, though that's a fair bit tighter. Something in between would be ideal, but nevermind :)

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Nice easy formula for an effective estimate - Multiply gauge by 1.33 for fourths, x 1.5 for fifths. 145 / 1.5 = 95 , /1.33 = 71, 53, 41. So 145 95 70 55 40 would make a good balanced drop A set at any scale. They sell a balanced 95 four string set with those exact guages - not sure if it's long enough. But yeah, grab those longscale singles and you're good!
The feel will be the same as a 100 E string on 35". Perfectly ok, but personally that's a little light for me, I like the balanced tension 107 set on 35". So the next step up would be that balanced 107 set with their 160, though that's a fair bit tighter. Something in between would be ideal, but nevermind :)

Hey thank you! Now I have trouble finding daddarios with super long scale and 55 or 70 here in germany.
Do you think the "long scale" ones instead of the "super long scale" would be enough? The sets for super long scale from daddario are all crazy, 56lbs on the D string? wth

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Indeed! Regular bass sets are crazy imbalanced. The D'addario site itself should sell them to you, but I'm unsure as I'm not located in Germany. If they don't, feel free to contact me to forward you some (for about £8 I think).
But, yes, regular scale should be fine for the thinner top strings where the taper isn't so much of a thing.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Nice easy formula for an effective estimate - Multiply gauge by 1.33 for fourths, x 1.5 for fifths. 145 / 1.5 = 95 , /1.33 = 71, 53, 41. So 145 95 70 55 40 would make a good balanced drop A set at any scale.
Exactly this if you want equal tension strings.
Maybe also check the exact tensions using DAddario's http://stringtensionpro.com/
Below roughly .060 DAddario strings have (i think) no nut-end taper so 'long scale' will work, .070 may have to be 'super long' though as it has a nut-end taper.

Last edited:

ixlramp

Reaction score
Ah but ... is the winding length of D'Addario 'super long' strings long enough for a 37" scale? I don't think so.
You'll need a winding length (ball edge to taper) of very roughly 39+". I suggest measuring edge of ball to far side of nut along the stock strings.
See https://www.fretnation.com/Bass-String-Lengths-by-Manufacturer_ep_47-1.html for a list of windig lengths (Kalium also have strings long enough).

Avedas

Reaction score
Exactly this if you want equal tension strings.
Maybe also check the exact tensions using DAddario's http://stringtensionpro.com/
Below roughly .060 DAddario strings have (i think) no nut-end taper so 'long scale' will work, .070 may have to be 'super long' though as it has a nut-end taper.
D'addario's calculator is so incredibly broken and full of bugs. It used to work well but now I get a ton of schema errors or blank drop down menus when using it.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Ah but ... is the winding length of D'Addario 'super long' strings long enough for a 37" scale? I don't think so.
You'll need a winding length (ball edge to taper) of very roughly 39+". I suggest measuring edge of ball to far side of nut along the stock strings.
See https://www.fretnation.com/Bass-String-Lengths-by-Manufacturer_ep_47-1.html for a list of windig lengths (Kalium also have strings long enough).

The bridge on the brice is very small in comparison to a dingwall brige so I think if I topload it would work, I measured about 37.8 inch from ball end to nut.
Man if daddarios super long strings work that would be a CHEAP dream! Because for the 1-3th string I dont have a taper on my stringsize, even the "long scale" strings fit!

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Am gonna order a darkglass tone capsule and a string set! Wish me luck, cant wait to turn this beast into a uberbeast

Dayn

Reaction score
I'd love to hear what you think of the Tone Capsule when you get it. I'm thinking of getting it to replace the preamp in my Schecter Stiletto Custom-6. Most reviews I've heard seem good though.