40 minute Holdsworth Performance...

• Thread starter Nik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
...posted by Yngtchie on the JP boards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqKDzycvy20&mode=related&search=

His legato keeps me up at night :shred:

I saw this a while ago when it was posted, I forget where but anyway, I enjoyed this performance alot. Holdsworth is amazing, I love his tone too. The rest of the band is really phenomenal as well. I dig the bass solo alot actually. :agreed:

It may have been posted here before, it's worth a new thread anyhow. :yesway:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
With the drums and bass being practically inaudible, it just sounded like a bunch of unmusical wanking to me.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that too when I first saw it but I enjoyed it still. Holdsworth especially. I'd love to see him live someday. :agreed:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
With the drums and bass being practically inaudible, it just sounded like a bunch of unmusical wanking to me.

I thought the same thing. I could never get into this music. I can't imagine any of this was pre-recorded. When I first started watching, I thought, "Hey, this looks interesting." But, as I watched more, it just got more and more boring and more and more random... :barf: I like myself some jazz every now and that, but this kind of stuff bores the hell out of me.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
For me, Allan Holdsworth and Meshuggah are on the same page, in the sense that I enjoy listening to both in small doses, albeit for different reasons. I like Holdworth's phrasing, but it does wear me out pretty fast.

I really like the 6-string bass solo :yesway:

Wiz

Reaction score
I prefer jazz that is much more melodic, like Rosenwinkel or Breau.. If I had to choose among fusionists, I'd go with Lane, Garsed, Alpine, Gambale and stuff like that..

Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
I prefer jazz that is much more melodic, like Rosenwinkel or Breau.. If I had to choose among fusionists, I'd go with Lane, Garsed, Alpine, Gambale and stuff like that..

Gambale is da man yo!! :hbang:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
my biggest gripe with holdsworth's music was the backing music.. a lot of it sounds the same and REALLY REALLY 80s.

His technique is unsane though.

BinaryTox1n

Reaction score
It sounded like he was just improvising the whole thing,
it's kind of hard to listen to without having any sort of melody.
It's cool for a while, but once it's lost the "fuckin cool" factor, there's not much left.

Like the color of his guitar though. :agreed:

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
God Holdsworth is amazing. Truly one of the best.

I agree though it's pretty hard to listen to this for a long time.
Can you imagine a whole 2hr show?
I think it would make me wanna knock someone off. :stone:

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
1st, it kinda pisses me off that someone uploaded the entire "Live at the Galaxy Theatre" DVD to youtube.....seriously!

2nd, I can listen to the dude all friggin' day. Truth in shredding = Holdsworth.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
I saw this a while ago when it was posted, I forget where but anyway, I enjoyed this performance alot. Holdsworth is amazing, I love his tone too. The rest of the band is really phenomenal as well. I dig the bass solo alot actually. :agreed:

It may have been posted here before, it's worth a new thread anyhow. :yesway:

Was me on one of my YouTube randoms threads.

god_puppet

Reaction score
I saw this a while back- Holdsworth is GOD, his phrasing and legato are just phenomenal. Great video, I hope to one day see him live.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
1st, it kinda pisses me off that someone uploaded the entire "Live at the Galaxy Theatre" DVD to youtube.....seriously!

:agreed:

I thought there was some kind of 10 min. or so limit on YouTube. :scratch:

Check out some of the other vids--there's a vintage performance of him and IOU doing "Road Games" that's pretty cool.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Frank Gambale is amazing. I got Al DiMeola's instructional DVD for Christmas, and on there is Frank Gambale performing a tune. That dude can sweep :eek:

And good point about the 10 min cutoff on youtube... :scratch:

')