$4000 saved for an custom erg but...

• Thread starter Exiterrr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Both. Go Carvin.

Personally I think you could do better for $4000. Carvin make wicked guitars though, I just think the real bang for your buck is in their $1200 - 2500 range. Though, you could get two Carvins... :lol:

Promit

Reaction score
IMO a custom is really about just that - getting something that is customized. If you can find what you want in a high end production guitar, then there's no reason to believe that a custom will be somehow better. These things have gotten way overhyped lately. Buy a custom if you want something that you can't find in production high end.

That said, there are so many big custom shops now. I feel like the high end market ($2000+) is actually starting to give way to customs. I don't know how many really high quality ERGs even exist in production form...

7stg

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want. Carvin is nice, top quality, you get to choose some options, and with a 6-8 week turnaround. If you want something you can't get from them or an off the shelf model, and don't mind waiting a year or more then go full custom.

frahmans

Reaction score
4000 can get you custom from WELL-KNOWN and reputable custom shops. There is considerations of:

1. time - can you wait anywhere from 2 months to 2 years
2. Wood - do you want something that is not standard wood
3. Design - do you want design aspects very specific and not offered on mass
4. Uniquen - do you want something unique

How answer them will affect decision making process.
1. If you can't handle waiting times then get a high end production line guitar.
2. If you don't want crazy wood choices then get a high end production line guitar.
3. If you want a standard design then get a high end production line guitar.

When you have a preference for something non standard (fanned frets) then fthat's when you ind a good custom shop or luthier.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
In my opinion getting a custom guitar is worth it, but only if you know what you want and you want a high-end version of it. If you know what wood combos you like, you know what tuning(s) you want to use it in, you know what scale lengths work for you, you know what radius you like etc. and you want it all in a high-end package then that's the way to go. If you're unsure of what you want but you still want a custom, try a few guitars with different specs (or the actual model you're thinking about) and then decide.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Personally I think you could do better for $4000. Carvin make wicked guitars though, I just think the real bang for your buck is in their $1200 - 2500 range. Though, you could get two Carvins... :lol:

Or he could just get one and save major cash for other stuff :lol:.

True custom-y stuff just takes so long to recieve in most cases, but if one is willing to wait 2yrs+ then it might end up being worth it. In that case stick with a major brand/shop IMO.

edit; inB4 "there is this Bernie guy out there in Cali-fornya" :wallbash:

Exiterrr

Reaction score
The wait is not a problem. I feel like it is worth it to finally get something I can call my own.
Now with that said, there are a ton of custom shops that are good and a lot of hacks. I've been doing a ton of research but I'm just not sure who i can trust. I know exactly what I want as far as scale length, wood, bridge, etc and even the hacks I know of offer everything I would want. PLEASE HELP GUYS!

Speedos

Reaction score
custom:
RAN = beautiful natural guitars , great quality
daemoness = beautiful "artistic" guitars ( they will draw anything you want on it and their inlays are insane ), great quality
i am not going to put mayones here since they are way too expensive, tho great quality as well
there are also other great custom luthiers around but i don't know that much about them so i'd rather keep silent
also strandberg and skervesen guitars are awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/RanGuitars
https://www.facebook.com/daemonessguitars
https://www.facebook.com/strandbergGuitarworks
https://www.facebook.com/skervesenguitars

take a look at what they make here , you can definitely see the different styles they have in making guitars , pick what you like more.
I for one fell in love with RAN, soon they will start building my custom 8 string crusher 30" . Been waiting for about 9-10 months. walnut body, 5p ovangkol neck, macassar ebony fretboard , bkp warpigs , ss frets. Can't wait!

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
In your range, for ERGs, there's quite a few good options.
Blackwater: quality work, fair pricing, but a good deal of wait time from what I've heard.
Waghorn: Super high quality work, very open-minded design-wise. Mentor of Dylan from Daemoness.
Oakland Axe Factory/XEN: If you're looking for something super modern, these guys are great. Both can be pretty busy, though.
TK Instruments: Specialize in multiscale single-cut ERGs, often semi-hollow.
Peters Instruments: Retro style ERGs? Kind of hard to explain. Nice looking stuff.
I'm also an apprentice at Elysian Guitars, and we could probably get you what you want.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
There seems to always be a high end custom guitar available on the used market. Why not get the best of both worlds and find a new condition used high end custom thats for sale? Id do that over a production line guitar, providing the specs I wanted were available and the condition was like new.

If your down for the 2 year wait of ordering a custom then you didn't really need to save $4000 quite yet, unless you plan to pay off the entire build up front or just keep the money saved for 2 more years when its done. $4000 puts you into the lower-mid end of the high end custom territory. You could just do Mayones and have it in 6 months. ESP is the only other high end well established company who's wait is under 2 years that Ive heard of. Everything else thats in the $4000 quality price point is gonna be more than 2 years of waiting, but it does open up many possibilities for options.

Churchie777

Reaction score
There seems to always be a high end custom guitar available on the used market. Why not get the best of both worlds and find a new condition used high end custom thats for sale?

^^ Exactly what i was gonna say..Best option there is some very nice customs that pop up

DancingCloseToU

Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Skervesen... that's where I'd throw my money if I could save 4k.

You can get some real pretty lookin wood for $4000, especially if you're willing to wait.

Edit: Perhaps I'd save $2100 and buy this thing right now
124274b.jpg

...its in stock http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/124274

frahmans

Reaction score
The wait is not a problem. I feel like it is worth it to finally get something I can call my own.
Now with that said, there are a ton of custom shops that are good and a lot of hacks. I've been doing a ton of research but I'm just not sure who i can trust. I know exactly what I want as far as scale length, wood, bridge, etc and even the hacks I know of offer everything I would want. PLEASE HELP GUYS!

Skim the dealers and group buys section of the site, the luthiers section, along with some of ngd for 8 strings

You will get a list of those that are good and deliver and not. Names were mentioned as above. Me, if I could have 4k saved, I'd go skervessen or Mayones because I had a chance to try whilst in Poland on a trip.

Latest posts

')