$4000 saved for an custom erg but...

• Thread starter Exiterrr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
:idea: Have you tried Halo's custom guitar configure tool? It looks awesome. When I dial in my different combos of stuff I can see clearly how it comes out without drawing it a million times. Its on their website under custom guitar just be patient with it and it does some amazing stuff. I used it to spec out the color scheme for ERG that I am building. The only puns I ran into were not being able to manually change the color of the HALO logo to desired. But this and other faults are easily bypassed because they have stated they will do what you are asking for even though the tool won't incorporate it. But it does fanned frets 27 super jumbo etc. Have fun and look at the configurations you can manipulate, no pressure to buy just take your time and have fun. Also who else has a program like this that is better maybe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
1) Design a guitar and get that design on paper, CAD or Illustrator.
2) Contact a manufacturer that has an OEM service, I use Fast Guitars.
3) Pay a one time design fee of +/- $750 depending on the design.
4) Receive the unfinished body and neck from the OEM.
5) Either sand and finish them yourself or hire someone to do it.
6) Have a tech assemble, wire and set up the guitar.

So who's getting to work on designing the 8 string Explorer then? :hbang:

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I've seen that and drooled over it at length - it looks amazing! Sadly it is probably well outside of my price range.

There was also a multiscale Explorer-ish 8 string NGD here a while back. That thing was glorious too.

I was only half serious with that question - but 8 string Explorers seem to be a bit of a wishlist item for quite a few people on this forum.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Gibson making more production explorers is high up on the world of wish lists

Exiterrr

Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Im gonna have to really sleep on it for a few nights, but I've narrowed down some options. SKERVESEN, Carvin, or RAN and whatever I have leftover I might invest in an Axefx, if i find it absolutely necessary. Ill let you guys know when i make the final call!

Im Really back and forth between Multi-scale or not. I will be tuning to EAEADGBE, EBEADGBE, F#AEADGBE, and Standard Tuning. Will switching to these tunings on the same guitar knock things out of wack everytime I move the tunings around or should I be fine?

frahmans

Reaction score
Tuning should not be a problem. To mitigate, maybe get a good set of locking tuners. And go multi scale. I been playing with my new multi scale and my wrist just feels better.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
Multiscale would be preferable, but the Carvin 28" scale can handle drop E well enough. It will be a bit short for the low E and a bit long for the high E, but both should be fine if you're alright with lower tension (17-19 lbs area).

If you do go multiscale, though, I'd recommend around 30-32 on the lowest string if you have the hands for it. Inharmonicity is a much bigger deal on low strings than high strings, and according to Bostjan's inharmonicity page, you can only get up to about 21.5 lbs tension on a 30" scale F#1 before losing a lot of harmonic content.

Exiterrr

Reaction score
Multi-scale is what I really want. 32 sounds scary considering my diagnosed carpel tunnel. Carvin is out if thats the case though. I really need to play some different Multis to see what would be comfortable. Any good stores to check out in LA? I will be there in a few weeks and I would like to do some hunting.

Eliguy666

Reaction score
32 is definitely not a necessity, I'd say that 30 would suit you fine. Just be sure to get some clear pickups for the guitar.

Don't know specifically about LA, but I'd recommend visiting Guitar Centers in the area to try basses, see if long scales are comfortable with your hands. Just fretting one string, since the string spacing is totally different than a guitar. If they've got Bass VIs, even better, because they're guitars other than strings and scale (usually 30", and at E1 tuning).

Multiscale stuff is pretty much impossible to find, unfortunately. I can't help you there.

Halowords

Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Im gonna have to really sleep on it for a few nights, but I've narrowed down some options. SKERVESEN, Carvin, or RAN and whatever I have leftover I might invest in an Axefx, if i find it absolutely necessary.

If you're not certain, why not just pick up something used or something cheaper (Agile comes to mind) that you can sell for little-to-no loss (or keep as a backup or something different) once you've played it and figured out what you actually want in a custom guitar? It sounds like you want to try a multiscale. I would just try to get one to play first before narrowing it down to different companies when you are unsure what you want. I know that's sometimes easier said than done, but depending which way you go, you could be looking at radically different guitars even between the three companies you mentioned, and if your opinion is not really set yet based on any real life experience, and you are not sure (which, by your own admission, you are not), you may get an awesome custom guitar that is nothing like what you eventually settle on for specs.

32 is definitely not a necessity, I'd say that 30 would suit you fine. Just be sure to get some clear pickups for the guitar.

What guitars are available that come in 32", outside of full customs? Just curious, most seem to stop at 30" unless going to a full-blown bass.

-Cheers

Eliguy666

Reaction score
Nothing production does, but it's ideal for the 8-string range tuning. Not many people use it standard because it's harsh on higher strings without a fan.

frahmans

Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Im gonna have to really sleep on it for a few nights, but I've narrowed down some options. SKERVESEN, Carvin, or RAN and whatever I have leftover I might invest in an Axefx, if i find it absolutely necessary. Ill let you guys know when i make the final call!

Im Really back and forth between Multi-scale or not. I will be tuning to EAEADGBE, EBEADGBE, F#AEADGBE, and Standard Tuning. Will switching to these tunings on the same guitar knock things out of wack everytime I move the tunings around or should I be fine?

If you are going full custom with any of the above, other than being focused on wood specs, I suggest also concentrating on a neck profile that suits your play style. Full custom should allow you a right to also make any profile you desire.

It's good to say "I like fender modern c- shaped necks or Ibanez wizard neck" on 6. It may or may not translate well to erg depending how consciously or subconsciously your hand grips and moves.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Dang, after Tom's suggestion about Fast Guitars I want to organize a run of a Jason Becker numbers style guitar in 7 or 8 strings. I gotta see if they'll do inlays...

Altar

Reaction score
Dell'Isola?

Friend of mine has one, they are fully custom and run a little under 4 grand.

7stg

Reaction score
I would go in on/ start a group buy on a long multi-scale 8 or 9 string, say a 30-33 multi-scale. If there is enough interest.

Latest posts

')