432 Hz

• Thread starter olsta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I dont get how people say that there's more emotion in a tuning, just doesn't make much sense to me. Bottom line, if I wanted a warm and relaxing sound to my music I'd just play warm and relaxing music

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
That Physics of Music course sounds awesome though, wonder if there's a correspondence course of it. Do a lot of musicians sign up for it, or is it mainly dudes like Bob Moog who are interested in building instruments? I guess sound-engineers too. Csound - may play with that this weekend, i hear you can do all sorts of cool stuff with it, and there's a python lib for it, sweet.
The Physics of Music course is intended for musicians who need a science credit (3rd year level if I remember correctly) as part of their program. So the physics is relatively easy and all relates to music. I didn't take the course because I already had too many physics credits but I looked into it and it looked really fun for musicians. I remember there being a lot of flexibility in the course in terms of what aspect of music or musical instrument you wanted to study the physics of.

And yeah Csound is a really effective and appropriate tool for exploring tuning, temperament/intonation, synthesis, sample manipulation, etc.

So anyways during my sleep I have been subliminally rehashing this thread. tr0n managed to finally knock it into me skull that yeah, all you're doing is FLATTING everything, no different really than transposing a song to another key. There might be a perceived change in mood for the listener, but that's probably it eh. The decision to use a certain pitch reference seems no different than choosing to paint something in blue or light blue (or on canvas or paper). At the end of the day all your colour/note choices are going to be in relationship with each other anyway. Some songs may have more of an impact at one pitch ref, but there couldn't be one pitch ref that wld work for all songs anyway, otherwise music would just be a dull experience.
:yesway:

GandalfDaBlack

Reaction score
hey all,

I put up a few recordings of piano tuned to 432Hz.
The Great Gig in the Sky

Pathetique Op. 13

One thing I noticed while playing was that I didn't need to count anymore, but follow the note as the highs and lows seemed to mark the measure and intervals in some sort of natural tempo based on the song's key.

Just wondering what 415Hz would be like now. I think pitch ref has to do with song tempo rather than this earth resonance nonsense.

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
I'd say that likely has as much to do with the chosen songs as it does with the tuning of A, doesn't it? Those just happen to be piano pieces that are easy to count in that manner, I think. If you want a real test of that, find a recording of George Winston's Moon and lower it. Should be much more difficult to tell without counting.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Today, each note is a lot closer to 432 (give or take anywhere from 6-30cents), which is another reason why i feel 432 is more natural (because the strings have been affected by the period of a bigger body of greater mass (earth). guess that's what they meant by natural tuning.

i won't even dare use the word entrainment as that is another one all these healers like to throw out there, but if you've ever taken two metronomes, set them up to be the same bpm but start them out of sync with each other, you will see that both metronomes end up syncing with each other. I reckon this is also the reason why things go out of tune. because they are syncing with another wave system

I have been chuckling all the way through this thread, but when I read this bit I just burst out laughing :lol:

GandalfDaBlack

Reaction score
I'd say that likely has as much to do with the chosen songs as it does with the tuning of A, doesn't it?

yeah i think that too - chosen songs, or music of that style/speed (tempo set by key). Though i don't recall being able to count like that at 440Hz (one measure would contain more than 4 cycles of a note, whereas right now each measure is?). Will give Moon a go.

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
Incase you're having trouble finding it:

I doubt it's the best song to use as an example of "hard to count" but I don't know too much other piano-only slightly abstract music.

GandalfDaBlack

Reaction score
just grabbed it off itunes, and listening on repeat. heh shoulda switched to bach tuning for this one, a second piano would be handy about now. Pretty tune, this.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Though i don't recall being able to count like that at 440Hz (one measure would contain more than 4 cycles of a note, whereas right now each measure is?). Will give Moon a go.

Well a measure is determined by your time signature not your tuning. Perhaps you just got better and dont need to count?

Forresterc

Reaction score
hey all,

I put up a few recordings of piano tuned to 432Hz.
The Great Gig in the Sky

Pathetique Op. 13

One thing I noticed while playing was that I didn't need to count anymore, but follow the note as the highs and lows seemed to mark the measure and intervals in some sort of natural tempo based on the song's key.

Just wondering what 415Hz would be like now. I think pitch ref has to do with song tempo rather than this earth resonance nonsense.

I don't think that the Hz would have much effect on your timing in music. How the music is composed will be the cause of "the highs and lows seemed to mark the measure and intervals ".

What might be cool is if you manage to have the tonic of the key of piece tuned in such a way that the waves it produces will be in perfect sinc with the tempo. Like in 440hz: play in A minor at a tempo of 60 or 120 or 180. Every quarter note contains exactly 440 waves.

In normal music this probably has no effect, but you could try some stuff where u tune two instruments to less than 20Hz apart, and play the same thing together. You could compose the percussion to accent the beats you'd feel/hear.

GandalfDaBlack

Reaction score
Perhaps you just got better and dont need to count?

heh definitely not that. more like the period of the wave matches with the length of the measure. if i play a whole note, for example, i just have to hold it for 4 cycles (u can hear the note rise up and down at each cycle) instead of playing the note and counting 4 beats at a specific bpm. In the Pathetique recording for instance, when i play the first whole note chord you can hear a beat as the chord rings. After 4 of these beats i played the next chord. In 440, with the higher pitch I have to adhere to the bpm instead, if I counted 4 cycles the song would sound a bit fast.

Anyways, just something i noticed while playing it. The audio files are up there if anybody wants to inspect the waveforms and do all that other fun stuff, like dust for vomit.

GandalfDaBlack

Reaction score
What might be cool is if you manage to have the tonic of the key of piece tuned in such a way that the waves it produces will be in perfect sinc with the tempo. Like in 440hz: play in A minor at a tempo of 60 or 120 or 180. Every quarter note contains exactly 440 waves.

maybe that is the effect I'm hearing in this current tuning, for these particular pieces. So yeah I could do something similar at 440 so long as the bpm was at 60, 120, 180 right? Just wondering if this was the reason why certain reference tunings were used during composition of the song, to better match a bpm they were meant to be played at.

Forresterc

Reaction score
maybe that is the effect I'm hearing in this current tuning, for these particular pieces. So yeah I could do something similar at 440 so long as the bpm was at 60, 120, 180 right? Just wondering if this was the reason why certain reference tunings were used during composition of the song, to better match a bpm they were meant to be played at.

Well, tuned to 432Hz, ud just hear 432 waves per ever quater note at 60bpm. I just said 60 because you get even waves no matter what Hz. I think the wave interactions are where it's at.

Vorax

Reaction score
I can confirm that tuning A432hz causes your music to resonate at the fundemental cosmic frequency. I have experieinced.

Hovever, there is a way that you can align your music to align with the universe in a much more profound way so that you will experieince it in more harmonious glory that you could ever have thought imaginable! This may be hard to believe for the more sceptical among you, for whom I feel deeply sorry, but please try this before you reject it on the basis of your misguided and aspiritual white-mans science.

Its really easy, and you don't even need to retune to A432 - as long as all notes are relatively tuned.

All you have to do is, half an hour before tuning up, drink some rescure remedy, massage your aura about you 3rd and 8th chakras, and stick some crystals up your arse!

You can prove this scientifically as well. If you think that the speed of light is a constant - simply differentiate this by a factor of phi (god's ratio) and you will get the exact diameter of your rectal passage in the spot where it has been distended to fit the crystals that you have inserted!

Boo to the unbelievers!

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I can confirm that tuning A432hz causes your music to resonate at the fundemental cosmic frequency. I have experieinced.

Hovever, there is a way that you can align your music to align with the universe in a much more profound way so that you will experieince it in more harmonious glory that you could ever have thought imaginable! This may be hard to believe for the more sceptical among you, for whom I feel deeply sorry, but please try this before you reject it on the basis of your misguided and aspiritual white-mans science.

Its really easy, and you don't even need to retune to A432 - as long as all notes are relatively tuned.

All you have to do is, half an hour before tuning up, drink some rescure remedy, massage your aura about you 3rd and 8th chakras, and stick some crystals up your arse!

You can prove this scientifically as well. If you think that the speed of light is a constant - simply differentiate this by a factor of phi (god's ratio) and you will get the exact diameter of your rectal passage in the spot where it has been distended to fit the crystals that you have inserted!

Boo to the unbelievers!

Can you also confirm that people who necrobump for no reason are supreme douche nozzles?

Demiurge

Reaction score

Boo to the unbelievers!

So, what would be the calculation to fit their head up the ass?

If we're going to revisit this topic now, might I submit another idea here? Music only sounds bad when it's comprised of bad musical ideas. Voodoo like this is the refuge for those who are out of ideas, or for those looking for a way over-sell their "talent."

Take someone without musical creativity and give them an instrument with whatever alternate reference pitches or alternate temperments you'd like- it's not going to make them better players or writers or make their music more listenable.

Vorax

Reaction score
Can you also confirm that people who necrobump for no reason are supreme douche nozzles?

Sorry if this has occluded your chi my brother. I hope the positive virbations I'm sending out to you will help rebalance your chakras!

Vorax

Reaction score
So, what would be the calculation to fit their head up the ass?

If we're going to revisit this topic now, might I submit another idea here? Music only sounds bad when it's comprised of bad musical ideas. Voodoo like this is the refuge for those who are out of ideas, or for those looking for a way over-sell their "talent."

Take someone without musical creativity and give them an instrument with whatever alternate reference pitches or alternate temperments you'd like- it's not going to make them better players or writers or make their music more listenable.

I agree that many people look for shortcuts in ife via alternative beliefs, be that shortcuts to creating great music, or shortcuts to health and well being. Howver, most of us are also guilty of this when we buy new gear and all sort of other shit, and it's debatable that a lot of the apparent improvements from expensive gear are a result of our expectations influencing our perception.

I think this is actually a key point in relation to the current topic: that our subjective experieince is hugely influenced by our expectations. SO anyone with a predisposition to believe in all this cosmic fanny magic will be likely to have their subjective perceptions of music they are told is recorded at 432hz influenced accordingly. In a similar way, alternative therapies have much more of a placebo affect on 'believers' than someone who thinks it all a a big crock.

However, if it works for someone then great (alternative therapies or cosmic standard tuning), I'm all for it. The problem is when people confuse their subjective experieince with empirical fact. I just find it hilarious when this is justified and evangelised with naive and irrational pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo.

Apologies to anyone who takes offence at the resurrection of this thread. I hadn't seen it and found it interesting, so figured there may be others who might be interested too.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Sorry if this has occluded your chi my brother. I hope the positive virbations I'm sending out to you will help rebalance your chakras!

Aspiritual white-man science trapped antimatter in a bottle and you're shovin' crystals up your butt. Just sayin'.

Edit: wait, was that trolling? I'm so confused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
')