45mm nut - what width @ last fret?

shredzxxx

Reaction score
Hi,

this a question for everyone with 7s with 45mm nuts. I am especially thinking about ESPs here (which I think used to have 45 on some of their models).
What width @ last fret would do these ESPs have, what widht would be ideal?

In my case I going to have a custom guitar with a Hipshotbridge trem.

Thanks in advance!

Really quick answers are welcome :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
This is entirely decided by the spacing of your chosen bridge :) If you've chosen the nut width and bridge, the last fret width is not something you have choice over. Nor something you should concern yourself with, if the bridge spacing was flexible you'd choose what you like for picking, not by choosing the last fret width.
45mm is quite a tight nut - just wanted to make sure you are aware of that and choosing it from experience!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
FYI, assuming 24 frets, the width of the last fret is 75% of the difference between the nut width and bridge string width. Assuming the bridge spacing might be a common 10.1mm, that means bridge width of 60.6mm on a 7 string - 75% from 45mm to 60.6mm is 56.7mm

shredzxxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

My favorite 6string has a narrow nut with narrow spacing so I think Im used to it.

Last edited:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
:) By the way, my maths was off on that calculation because whilst trying to keep the explanation simple for you I forgot to add the fretboard edges outside of the string back on haha.
It would actually be 62.7mm to the edges of the fretboard at the 24th fret assuming a 4mm overhang (45mm nut, -8mm = 37mm string to string nut spacing).