4CM vs power amp?

LaurensG

Reaction score
So, first of all, i dont know that much about gear and stuff, please correct me if I'm wrong with anything I say below.

So, i want to get an orange CR120H, and a line 6 POD HD500x , - someone told me to get the line 6 and a power amp (such as the rocktron 300) .. but i would like to be able to use the orange head too. so, my question is, (If i understand the 4 cable method correctly) I can place the orange pre-amp anywhere in the effects loop, right? so i could also choose not to include it, and actually run an amp simulation from the POD straight to the power amp of the orange head, right? - again, please correct me if im wrong.

if what i said above is right, then, why should i get a rocktron, if i could use the poweramp of the orange head? I'm asking because for a while i was thinking of getting both, xD but i feel like i'm not informed well enough/ i didnt quite understand, so please let me know

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
You are correct in what the 4CM does.

The advantage of a dedicated power amp over a head would be additional shaping features that the head might not have, like presence and resonance as well as the option to run stereo. Most solid state power amps also have more than enough wattage to prevent clipping/breakup at loud volumes. If you like the sound of the amps in the POD, I'd say it's worth it to get a regular power amp.

If you prefer the Orange amp sound, then it's definitely logical to use the POD in 4CM with it for any sort of effects in front or in the loop of the head for a best of both worlds approach.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
You may find the 4CM tricky to set up well, and it does not play well with certain amps due to how their effects loop is designed. If you like the modeling on the POD then a power amp setup will probably be a lot easier to manage and that is the way I would go.

LaurensG

Reaction score
You are correct in what the 4CM does.

The advantage of a dedicated power amp over a head would be additional shaping features that the head might not have, like presence and resonance as well as the option to run stereo. Most solid state power amps also have more than enough wattage to prevent clipping/breakup at loud volumes. If you like the sound of the amps in the POD, I'd say it's worth it to get a regular power amp.

If you prefer the Orange amp sound, then it's definitely logical to use the POD in 4CM with it for any sort of effects in front or in the loop of the head for a best of both worlds approach.

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know, ill get the orange head, and then decide later on whether i'd get the rocktron or not. Thanks a lot!

Raf_666

Reaction score
I use a gsp1101 in 4cm with a diezel head , very handy that the diezel has midi too , i switch patches on the digitech and simultanous a different channel on the diezel ... On some presets i disable the loop and use the gsp modeling ...

Infinite possibilities , i choose this setup because did not want lots of cables running to a floorprocessor and back ... The gsp and control2 solved issue

Raf

Promit

Reaction score
I found the HD500 to be just a little bit touchy in 4CM. Getting all the gains to be unity takes some care, and you have to set things up in a very particular way to minimize extraneous noise/hiss. It CAN be set up well, but it is a bit of a hassle.

bebbe

Reaction score
Sweden, ie In a distant galaxy, far far away
You may find the 4CM tricky to set up well, and it does not play well with certain amps due to how their effects loop is designed. If you like the modeling on the POD then a power amp setup will probably be a lot easier to manage and that is the way I would go.

About the FX loop, if it is "serial" vs "parallel" interchangeable you should go for "serial" for the 4CM