4x12 cab for Mesa JP2C

• Thread starter Flick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flick

Reaction score
I am ready to replace a Mesa 2x12 vertical slant cab. I’m playing mainly a Schecter KM7 MKII 2018 through a Mesa JP2C. The style of music: At The Gates/Decapitated. I am looking for tight bass response and a harmonic mid range. Some of the cabinets I am interested in are the Engl Pro 4x12, Mesa traditional 4x12, Orange PPC 412. Anyone have any insight as to how the Mark series amps work with these cabs? Or any other suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've used my Mark V through an Orange 4x12, horizontal Mesa 2x12, and Mesa Traditional/Stiletto 4x12. The Traditional 4x12 is my favorite, and I recently picked up a second one to match when I run two amps in stereo :yesway:

Compared to the Orange, it's got better definition in the low end, smoother top end, and the midrange focus is shifted to a slightly lower frequency. It's just more pleasing to the ear IMO. The Orange was more raspy and aggressive while the Mesa is more of a deep, commanding bark. Think of the vowel sound of "a" as in "apple" vs "ah" as in "ahh holy shit dear god this cabinet kicks ass"

I've never tried an ENGL cab, but I've heard they're pretty bright :2c:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Everything I've put through my ppc412 (not a mark v though) sounds great.

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
Another vote for the Mesa. But I wouldn't pass up the straight cab/slant baffle OS either....these OS and Traditional cabs are much closer in sound than most think. The OS has maybe just a slight bit more low end.

I agree with the raspiness on the Orange. My drummer has one that I run through at practice and it's definitely has that raspy edge...

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Do you like the sound of your Mesa 212 but just want something bigger?...if so, the Mesa trad 412 sounds like a sure bet...and since every cab you mentioned ALL have V30’s, consider the price because there’s not going to be a crazy difference in the overall tone between those cabs other than some low end depth and response. Most people who favor V30’s are really hit and miss with other speakers...

NateFalcon

Reaction score
I decided to build my own oversized 412 as an experiment...Its an inch taller than an oversized Recto cab and I used 3/4” pine plywood and used ‘West System’ epoxy instead of screws for the joints, used cool stackable flight cabinet metal corners and metal handles and covered it using spray adhesive and marine carpet. I used 2 Egnater Celestion elite 80 speakers and 2 Celestion V60 ‘silver’ speakers and lined the cab with some leftover acoustic foam. It’s fucking amazing!!-under $400...It ended up replacing 3 different cabs I’d been using!!! My friends even somehow agree (rare) cuz a buddy stole it and I found it on locally Guitar Center and ended up getting it back for $110 because it was “homemade” lol...I was so happy to have it back
3F9C90B8-85E3-4B68-9EE4-8BFFE6092E1E.png

pearl_07

Reaction score
Mesa Traditional 4x12 or any Mesa cab for that matter works wonders with the Mark series. Road King 2x12, slant Traditional, and straight OS all sound amazing with my Mark V. I rotate my gear pretty heavily, but the only thing I've kept consistent for the past 11 years is my cabs, and there's a good reason for it.

Flick

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I’m gonna go with the Mesa traditional 4x12. I previously paired a 5153 and an Engl Powerball before that w/ an Orange 4x12 and it certainly had that raspy character. Interesting to hear others have had the same expierience. There is something very fizzy, even at lower gain settings, that I could not dial out of an orange cab. Thought maybe the smooth gain structure of a Mark would help...

katsumura78

Reaction score
Port City 2x12 OS. There’s a reason people love these cabs. It sounds huge and there’s zero flub. Not as directional as the Mesa either. Don’t sleep on it lol.

')