4x12 or 2x12 for livingroom chugging?

• Thread starter Oklep
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oklep

Reaction score
Hello guys

I own 4x12 orange for 5 years, and I am using it only for practice and recording.

The thing is, I thought that I could sell my 4x12 and pick 2x12 orange instead.
What do you think? Could I play at lower volumes this way? I think that yes, 2 speakers should be easier to breakup, but I never owned 2x12 so I have no idea.
I just dont want to sell my loved 4x12 and buy 2x12 instead, only to realise that I f*cked it up. :wavey:

So what you think? Should be 2x12 better for livingroom playing, with huge sound at quieter volumes?
Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petef2007

Reaction score
My laney through a 2x12 is manageable in a bedroom environment. Starts getting a bit loud at volume 3 or 4 though. I guess this depends more on the amp you're running and how the master volume responds. I'd say a 2x12 is much more reasonable and manageable than a 4x12, no need for one of those at home IMO. Just get something with good speakers and you should be golden.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I'd personally keep the br00t cab (cuz u never know when u need it, although 2x12 can probably get the job done for just about everything) and try to find a decent 1x12 for living room or "compact rig" situations. I had a lot of fun with a $100 Krank Rev Jr. cab and used it to explore a many types of speakers.

KailM

Reaction score
I think that 412 cabs always sound larger regardless of volume. I regularly run mine at lower volumes and it does fine. I also have a 112 cab and honestly, it can still put out an insane amount of volume. Volume isn't really the biggest difference between cab sizes IMHO. It's the response, low-end, and size-perception that changes. Even at lower volumes, my 412 seems to get this almost reverb-like effect. It just sounds, well, bigger. I'd say if you're going to be moving this cab around a lot, definitely consider a 212. You might like the characteristics of the 212 -- it should still sound pretty deep, but have a tighter response on palm-mutes. But if you don't need to move your 412 often, why mess with a good thing?

I've been considering a 212 cab as well for cases when I gig. My 412 weighs over 100 pounds and the worst part is carrying it up and down the stairs to and from its room. Once I get it to the bottom floor, I put it on a dolly and then it's no big deal.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with owning a 4x12 and a 2x12. I have both.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Keep your 412 and rewire it stereo.That way you can either run all 4 speakers or you can split the cab in half and use just the 2 of them for slightly lower volume but still retain the fullness of the big enclosure.

I have an ENGL 412 Pro XXL that is stereo and for the past couple of months i use it as X2 2x12s mainly because i have 2 amps so i split the cab.I've been very happy with the results,i am able to give a bit more on the amp's volume since 2 speakers does not move the same air as 4 and get a bit more speaker break up while being chunky enough.And when i want full 412 i just flip a switch and change the ohms.

It wont cost you a thing,wont have to sell your cab,option for 2x12 & 412,can easily return it to stock again.You just need to do it right otherwise you'll burn your amp's transformer..

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Keep your 412 and rewire it stereo.

I've tried the stereo-wired 4x12 approach and found it didnt reduce volume that much (probably because the enclosure is still big). Sometimes I miss my old ENGL cab, it was aggressive as hell.

Oklep

Reaction score
Keep your 412 and rewire it stereo.That way you can either run all 4 speakers or you can split the cab in half and use just the 2 of them for slightly lower volume but still retain the fullness of the big enclosure.
I am curious. How it sounds? Isn't it a bit boomy and bassy (as two speakers operate in huge enclosure)?

Thank you guys for insides, sadly two oranges are not option due to financial situation :scratch:
So I must decide if big one or his small brother (or small cripple? :lol:)

wakjob

Reaction score
I've tried the stereo-wired 4x12 approach and found it didnt reduce volume that much (probably because the enclosure is still big). Sometimes I miss my old ENGL cab, it was aggressive as hell.

I kinda feel the same way about running one half of my 4x12 stereo cab. Sometimes I can't tell if its running just 2 or all 4 because you still get all that great resonance (reverb effect KailM mentioned).

I currently have two 4x12's in my one bedroom apartment. My other one is out on loan, but I'm not opposed to having all three here. :nuts:

If you feel the need to downsize that's cool, 2x12's still rock.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
I have both 4x12 (Marshall MF400) and 2x12 (Zilla Fatboy) and if my 4x12 was as tight, clear and articulate as my 2x12, I wouldn`t bother with 2x12. The volume difference is minimal (if there is any) and the sound projection is better.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've got a closed back 4x12 and an open back 1x12- I find that with amps where the master is twitchy, it's easier to keep the volume low on the 4x12 oddly enough. The 1x12 goes from nothing to OMGTOOMUCHTURNITDOWN really quickly, whereas the 4x12 has a bit more space before it gets to an unmanageable volume. Maybe it's the difference between open and closed back, maybe it's because the same power is being divided between more speakers, maybe the 1x12 just has a really efficient speaker, I dunno. But to my ears, less speakers didn't make it any easier to play quietly.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Arguably you are pushing less air with fewer speakers, but I'm not sure that will make a difference. It does sound like you like your current cab, so why bother getting a new cab which you may not like as much? :)

EDIT: Also, I think the differences between cab sizes will come at greater volumes - at low volumes the difference will probably be negligible.

lewis

Reaction score
2x12 hands down. Get some eminence speakers. both different from each other and enjoy

Promit

Reaction score
It's not just the enclosure - leaving the other two speakers physically in the cab will cause them to behave as passive radiators and generate nearly the same output profile as 4 speakers!

IME both the 2x12 and 4x12 have their charms even at low levels, and it's more about preferences and practical issues.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
For a while I owned a Mesa 4x12 and 2x12 and I felt that the 2x12 was better for low low volumes since it's more mid/high focused and not trying to push so much bass and air. Nothing wrong with a 4x12 for bedroom playing, though! I actually ended up selling the 2x12 a while back because even I'm almost entirely a bedroom warrior, I prefer the 4x12 for when I can play anything louder than a soft shout.

If you don't have a problem with your 4x12, don't get rid of it. I'd definitely consider saving up for a 2x12 to have both and see which you prefer and/or use both :noodles:

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
IME a 4x12 cabs sounds better (warmer, fuller) than a 2x12 and actually helps me sound better at lower volumes than a 2x12 because of that.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I am curious. How it sounds? Isn't it a bit boomy and bassy (as two speakers operate in huge enclosure)?)

Well comparing to running all 4 speakers the answer is no it has slightly less bottom end when running just the two.

I disagree that running just 2 speakers on a 412 dont make a difference in volume cause of the enclosure.I have it right here and use it both full and half and i hear the difference.

Speaker distortion has a big effect on your sound and to get that punchy sweet spot you simply need more volume on 4 speakers vs 2 speakers.

So its not whether running 2 speakers vs 4 on a stereo cab produce the same volume but rather in which volume give a better sound,that sweet spot speaker distortion.Cause at the end of the day we are not measuring dbs we want to sound good but not have the police on the door every other day.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
I am a bedroom (er livingroom..) player. I have a mesa compact 212 and an oversized 412. I constantly A/B between them with different amps. 412 is always the better sounding one for both low volume and high volume. 212 is awesome too but 412 is way too good.

')